Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default He's Grabbed Your Gun! Now What?

http://www.lawofficer.com/news-and-a.../gun_grab.html

Handgun retention you can bet your life on

* Richard Nance
    * 2008 Jun 13

When your gun is in-hand and a suspect grabs it, you better have a plan. I know what you're thinking, "I'll just shoot 'em", right? That might seem like an appropriate response initially but before you bet your life on that tactic, consider these factors.

If the first round misses the suspect because he averts the muzzle, subsequent attempts to fire the handgun will likely result in the weapon malfunctioning, since the suspect's grip would almost certainly prevent the slide on a semi-automatic handgun from cycling. (I've experienced this time and again during retention and disarmament training using Simunition guns). Obviously if the weapon is unable to cycle, it's not going to go "bang" when the trigger was pulled. But, for the sake of argument, let's say your first round struck the suspect.

Remember that the vast majority of handgun wounds are survivable. Unless the round struck an extremely vulnerable portion of the suspect's anatomy, it would not immediately incapacitate the suspect. Highly motivated suspects, such as those who would attempt to disarm you are often capable of fighting through the pain of being shot once.

Don't get me wrong, shooting a suspect who grabs your firearm might help your cause. However, shooting him might not be enough. What you need is a reliable method of maintaining possession of your handgun that enables you to get the upper hand during the stress of a close quarter life and death confrontation.

A commonly taught technique for retaining your drawn handgun involves pushing the muzzle of the weapon toward the suspect, then pulling and twisting the handgun from the suspect's grasp. When a suspect attempts to disarm you, strike him with the muzzle to inflict pain and distract him. When you pull the handgun toward your chest, twist the gun (counter clockwise if you're right handed). This will likely result in the front sight cutting the suspect's hand, compromising his grip on the barrel of your gun. In most cases, this method of handgun retention would be effective. But what if the suspect is twice your size and has hands big enough to palm a basketball?

continued at link...
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Venango County)

Default Re: He's Grabbed Your Gun! Now What?

In a 'proper' gun grab...

If the weapon is in hand, there is a possibility you might be the one deciding to grab or not. It does not matter if a pistol or revolver.

The grab should go for the slide on a pistol, the cylinder on the revolver. The only problem is if one is in the pipe and the hammer is back. In which case, you must also get a finger between the hammer and firing pin. It will hurt like hell, but better than getting shot.

Secondly, do not ever, like in the movies, get the weapon's barrel against the suspect or within inches. They, or you, depending on circumstances, only have to twist away and knock the gun arm back and away as they/you run away. By the time the gun gets back on target they/you should have some distance.

Just FYI stuff to keep in mind.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Adams County)

Agreed. Furthermore, if a suspect is that close, and does grab at your weapon, if your first round does disable the weapon, then your next best bet is your BUG.

(Pike County)

Okay, lets set the stage, I being on the upper end of middle age, and not the most physically fit individual on here carry in condition two for that very reason. Assuming someone does get my gun away from my retention holster, the fact that only you know there is nothing in the chamber might work to your avantage. It gives you the ability (hopefully) for an immediate charge as a response, or if your being "held at bay" you may have the "surprise factor" in your favor in a reasonable time frame. Okay thats all I have to say, Flame Suit on.
    hgsw67

(Allegheny County)

ok, here's the tricky part. the scenario described and link are for "Law Enforcement" who have a suspect held at gun point. not someone walking up behind you and trying to get your OC firearm.

i do recomend practicing firearm retention but it is unlikely that someone OCing will have a gun taken from their holster.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Tioga County)

The last time someone tried to take my pistol was in the navy during an ORI. the guy had to see the corpsman and get a splint. I didn't really mean to break it but he pulled away in just the wrong way. I felt and heard it snap.

It was his index finger I didn't break it but it was a really bad dislocation.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Monroe County)

If you're 20, 40, or 80, and close enough to struggle for control of your grabbed firearm, you are close enough to jam your finger brain deep in the grabber's eye.

Just sayin'....

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Lehigh County)

I've had some training in retention and stripping a firearm from a BG using 'blue guns' with the trigger guard removed. Some basic moves are good to know if you carry concealed and especially if you OC.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    If you're 20, 40, or 80, and close enough to struggle for control of your grabbed firearm, you are close enough to jam your finger brain deep in the grabber's eye.

Just sayin'....
    That or wet yourself and scream like a sissy girl. lol

====

If it comes down to a struggle for a gun, with revolvers grab the wheel and frame. Try to also get a finger tip behind the trigger and/or behind or in front of the hammer.

Auto's grab the slide and frame together a squeeze, if it has a hammer get finger in front of or behind the hammer. The BG may get one shot off, but if you interrupt cycling it will give you a second lease on life. With either, try keeping the muzzle pointed away from one's self.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Venango County)

That's my plan......that and probably bleed all over the guy, unfortunately

If you have your gun out and pointed, and haven't shot yet, and they are contact close...you are on the downside of a slippery slope

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast