Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Travel within PA?

Hey everyone, I'm a new firearm owner and have a question I figure would be better just to ask rather than me try to figure out the wording of § 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license. I suspect that if this situation is addressed it falls under exception 8.

I'm going to visit my parents up in Erie this weekend and would like to take my new handgun on the chance that I'll get to go to the range with my dad. However, I don't have a LTCP. Can I still travel to their house with the firearm in my trunk in a case separate from ammo? Also, is the case the firearm came in acceptable or does it actually have to lock?

Thanks for the help.

(EDIT: Sorry, this belongs in the Carry forum)
    Last edited by NavySeabee; December 24th, 2008 at 01:11 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Travel within PA?

Would you consider your parent's place your "vacation or recreational home or dwelling"?

You'll be legal from your place and theirs. Just make sure the gun is unloaded, in a secure wrapper, and the ammo is stored separately. Once at your parents, take it inside and store it there.

A gun case without a lock will suffice for PA law.

If you haven't thought about it already, you really should get your LTCF even if you dont plan on carrying. They are relatively cheap and easy to get, and the legal coverage they offer is priceless.

8. Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.
    Last edited by knight0334; December 24th, 2008 at 01:18 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    If you haven't thought about it already, you really should get your LTCF even if you dont plan on carrying. They are relatively cheap and easy to get, and the legal coverage they offer is priceless.
    I have certainly looked into getting one and have the application already printed out for the exact reason you mention.

Thanks for the help.

(Pike County)

Howdy Navy, and welcome to the forum, Merry Christmas!

(Allegheny County)

Have a fine Navy day...welcome to the forum.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Allegheny County)

Thanks guys, it's great to have such an knowledgeable community literally at my fingertips. Even though I wasn't able to figure out or find the answer to my simple question on my own ("legal speak" makes me nauseous) I've found a whole boatload of other info in the couple days I've been looking over the site. Merry Christmas to you too!

Merry Christmas and welcome to the forum... have a safe drive... and get on that permit
    ΑΣΦ

(Monroe County)

Welcome Seabee I have to say, I spent a great deal of time training Seabees on compaction equipment at Ft. Lostinthewoods, and some of my closest military friends were Seabees. Can do

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Franklin County)

Also remember that this statue is strictly interpreted as directly to and directly from excepted locations. If it's impossible to make your trip without any stops (fuel, etc.) make only the stops that are absolutely necessary and be on your way promptly.

Folks have literally been charged for stopping at a convenience store on the way home from the range.

Finally, remember these words just in case, "Officer, I do not consent to any search of my vehicle."
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Welcome to the forum as well.... former USN Seabee
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%