Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Advice on changing ignorance???

Here is my dilema...I am home on leave for christmas and I purchased my fiance a taurus 605 (loaded with .38 +p) <-i'm sure it will be asked later, for her protection as well as my peace of mind, since I am stationed 2000 miles away in New Mexico. While she understands my intentions she claims that since she works/travels in the 'safe' areas of Lancaster that she doesn't need it. She also believes that the LTCF will affect her ability to be hired as a teacher after she finishes her degree this spring. There have been several instances while talking to her on the phone, while I was in New Mexico, where she would be getting off of work and walking through the empty and dark parking lot or creepy ppl loitering in the parking lot while she was leaving. Even broken flower pots at her apartment, which were later attibuted to squirrels. Either way its not like I can make the drive in 5 min. All instances freaked her out as well and when I am home she appreciates that I carry. She tells me that she is more worried about having an accident with it vs. having to defend herself. She has shot with me many times and even done a few IPSC matches with me. I also have no problem spending more time with her doing training and going to the range. She either pops that excuse or the affect on her teaching license on me as excuses. How can I help her understand that CC doesn't make you an evil outcast of society?
    "While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink."- Fr. Frog

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Advice on changing ignorance???

Explain that there is a law against sharing LTCF information and it should have no bearing on employment. Also, explain the seatbelt, fire extingusher analogy, better to have it if it's needed than die because you don't have it. Hook her up with Michele or any other ladies on this board...... Good luck

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Northampton County)

I'd also advise her to put a snap cap in the chamber, and carry it around for a week. Maybe even purposely drop it a few times. At the end of the week, when she sees that the snap cap doesn't have a firing pin impression on it, it should assuage her fears of an "accident".
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lebanon County)

I grew up in Lancaster County and lived in the city for a bit...nowhere is safe there... sending you a PM.

Explain. Be patient. I am coming up on 25 years of marriage to Mrs. Plinker, and while she is very much pro gun, happy and comfortable with me carrying, even openly carrying, and she has her very own S&W M&P 9c, she has still not made the jump to carrying herself. What can I say? She is a woman. Her thought processes do not necessarily follow the same paths as mine. And before any of you ladies take issue with me, you know I am right. We think differently. Mrs. Plinker has come a long way from her anti parents. She has a little further to go. I am just telling the OP that there is no way he is going to force the issue.

(Lancaster County)

The manhiem sportsman club is having the NRA basic pistol course jan 23 and 24 for 65.00. That might help some. (I'm taking it then myself) http://www.firearmsinstructor.net/ba...stol_flyer.htm

(Lancaster County)

All of your advice so far has been great and much appreciated. Please continue if you have anything else to add.
    "While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink."- Fr. Frog

Maybe she could come to one of our open carry get togethers sometime. After spending time with a bunch of hooligans like us, she will see how easy it will be for her to conceal carry and not even be noticed.

(Delaware County)

TIME , I know sometimes that's a dirty word. It will take some time and patience (another dirty word, sorry) allow her to come around on her own, you certainly don't want to force someone to carry a gun who doesn't want to or feel ready, it's not a game or a toy.

There have been some good suggestions here, range time, training, getting to know women who carry would be good as well.

By the way, my wife is a teacher in a public school system, she has her Pa LTCF and a Utah CWP. Hasn't affected her job at all. As mentioned, here in Pa that information is private.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Behler17 View Post
    Here is my dilema...I am home on leave for christmas and I purchased my fiance a taurus 605 (loaded with .38 +p) <-i'm sure it will be asked later, for her protection as well as my peace of mind, since I am stationed 2000 miles away in New Mexico. While she understands my intentions she claims that since she works/travels in the 'safe' areas of Lancaster that she doesn't need it. She also believes that the LTCF will affect her ability to be hired as a teacher after she finishes her degree this spring. There have been several instances while talking to her on the phone, while I was in New Mexico, where she would be getting off of work and walking through the empty and dark parking lot or creepy ppl loitering in the parking lot while she was leaving. Even broken flower pots at her apartment, which were later attibuted to squirrels. Either way its not like I can make the drive in 5 min. All instances freaked her out as well and when I am home she appreciates that I carry. She tells me that she is more worried about having an accident with it vs. having to defend herself. She has shot with me many times and even done a few IPSC matches with me. I also have no problem spending more time with her doing training and going to the range. She either pops that excuse or the affect on her teaching license on me as excuses. How can I help her understand that CC doesn't make you an evil outcast of society?
    First, there is NO SUCH THING as a safe area. Most people claim their homes are safe, why, because they keep a firearm at their bedside.

Allot of women have this misconception that they can talk their way out of anything. They also think that if they just give up the wallet everything will be fine. It doesn't work like that in the real world. Women especially need to be extra cautious and aware of their surroundings because they are a much easier mark.

Women have always relied on the protection of a man. Its a difficult decision for a woman to make to take responsibility for her own safety. Our mothers aways told us its the "mans job". And we definitely wouldn't want to rock that boat. Maybe thats why there are more crimes against women than there are crimes against men.

All around the world women have evolved to the point they are "head of household". With that title comes responsibility. All of the responsibility. We already come equipped with the protection gene. How many women have gone up against a man to protect their child? I don't know of any woman that wouldn't give her life for her child.

We now must protect ourselves and our families. Its our duty as women, wives, mothers. We have this wonderful tool to help us if needed, a firearm. There are so many women that carry firearms now, from the professional suit wearing woman to the elderly duck raising farmer. I'm thrilled to be a part of this group, the female firearm carrying group.

Its probably one of the most difficult decisions a woman must make in her lifetime. However, through careful thought and research, (not the anti media) most women will choose the firearm.

Get her some training. Even something as simple as handgun 101. Get her reading some books, magazines and looking through some female gun related sites. Most women have the same fears and concerns. Get her listening to other women.

I recommend http://www.corneredcat.com/ for a starter. Why? It explains in womens language.

Allot of men carry a firearm because they can (2A). Please understand its much different for a female. We're wired differently. Hear and see things differently. Don't shove 2A down her throat, she'll choke. Remember women are emotional, so tread lightly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast