Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Your thoughts on Joe Horn

I know there have been some other threads about Joe Horn when the story first appeared on the news, but I wanted to have a bit of discussion after some talk of it in another thread. In care you aren't familiar with the story, Joe Horn shot and killed 2 intruders who had broken into his neighbor's home in Pasadena, TX. I won't say anything else about it, so that you can look up the story and find out how you feel about it, and make your own decision. I'm curious to if you think that he was morally correct in doing what he did? I do not care to debate the legal ideas behind the issue, because he was found perfectly innocent, by Texas Law (which is all that matters). Obviously other states have quite different standards and laws about a situation like this, so I'm not interested in that. I wouldn't like for this thread to be about (he got lucky), and things like that, he was LEGAL, after that, it's a moral issue. Your thoughts are appreciated.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Your thoughts on Joe Horn

God bless him. Removed two career criminals from the streets. That should not have been there in the first place thanks to a failed "justice" system.

And in case folks forget, courts found his actions to be congruent with TX law.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Monroe County)

Here are my thoughts on it...

1. No life was in danger, no physical concerns, hell they didn't even know he was there.

2. His property was not in danger of being touched, let alone damaged, viewed, or stolen

3. The two men were shot in the back while they were leaving the scene of a breaking and entering crime scene, They never knew Joe was there, they were posing no threat of any kind to anything of his.

4. Joe called 911, was advised a huge number of times to NOT go outside and not confront them, he did with the intent to not stop them but to kill them.

I don't care how to slice it, Joe Horn walked outside with the intent to murder, he was never in danger, his property was never in danger, and he was told police were on the way to the scene. He saw the men, had enough time to get a shotgun, load it and call 911 and speak with them. He never attempted to stop the men, he never attempted to provide a clear description to the police, he never did any of this.

While I have no issue with a criminal being killed he also never spoke with these men. He had no legal standing or right to perform the actions he did. He should be in jail.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post

4. Joe called 911, was advised a huge number of times to NOT go outside and not confront them, he did with the intent to not stop them but to kill them.
    I'm not going to take an issue with your opinions, but the above I will.
    He was told once or twice by a "dispatcher" (read; not any authority)

Sorry, anything he was told by 911 holds zero.00001 weight with me

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Just as I posted in the other thread:

If it were MY house, I'd be pretty darned glad to have Mr. Horn living next door. Especially since the cops weren't in any hurry to get there until they had to try to save the criminals.
    Last edited by JoeWilliams; December 10th, 2008 at 12:35 AM.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

snip

While I have no issue with a criminal being killed he also never spoke with these men. He had no legal standing or right to perform the actions he did. He should be in jail.
    On the 9/11 tape they played on the show tonight, it sounded like he hollered several warning prior to defending his neighbor's property. And he did, in fact, have legal standing and right to take the actions he did. You appear to feel that his decision to shoot criminals victimizing his neighbors wasn't the the moral thing to do, but you should not obscure the fact that he did, in fact, have the legal right to act as he did.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Just because someone comits a crime does not make them any less of a human being. So, just because these guys were steeling a T.V. set it's OK for them to die?

It hurts me to say this, but just because this one is legal doesn't make it right. Something about shooting someone in the back doesn't sit real well with me.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    I'm not going to take an issue with your opinions, but the above I will.
    He was told once or twice by a "dispatcher" (read; not any authority)

Sorry, anything he was told by 911 holds zero.00001 weight with me
    14 times he was told not to go outside, he was warned not to take the gun outside as he may be shot, he was told to stay inside and get a description... etc.

I agree, I would love my neighbor to be watching my house and kill anyone that broke in and stole my stuff. Neighborhood watch would certainly be a lot more worth while.

However the fact remains. he went outside and shot 2 men in the back, he didn't try to get them to stop, he didn't confront them, he just shot them... thats not castle doctrine.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    On the 9/11 tape they played on the show tonight, it sounded like he hollered several warning prior to defending his neighbor's property. And he did, in fact, have legal standing and right to take the actions he did. You appear to feel that his decision to shoot criminals victimizing his neighbors wasn't the the moral thing to do, but you should not obscure the fact that he did, in fact, have the legal right to act as he did.
    IIRC he simply said "move, and you're dead"

If it were me I'd come out that door screaming "GET THE FUCK DOWN MOTHERFUCKER!!!! NOW!!!!!

I think some proper verbal intimidation and a slide rack would get those guys down on the ground. If not then you gould always pop one of them in the leg, follow the trail fo blood and let him rat out his budy.

P-11otheroptionsbesideskilling

(Luzerne County)

14 times he was told not to go outside, he was warned not to take the gun outside as he may be shot, he was told to stay inside and get a description... etc.
    14? I doubt that's accurate, but even if it is, again, it was a dispatcher... Sorry, not an authority worth mentioning.

However the fact remains. he went outside and shot 2 men in the back, he didn't try to get them to stop, he didn't confront them, he just shot them... thats not castle doctrine.
    No, he DID confront them, listen to the tape again.
    AND the FACT remains he was found to be within the law by TX courts.

You may not like it, but it was 100% legal.

Remember Meleanie

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast