Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default PA resident taking a job in NY. What are my options to LEGALLY keep my firearms in PA

I am a PA resident and am taking a job in NY state. Can I legally leave my rifles, shotguns, and pistols at a friends house in PA? I was told no self storage unit as they're auctioned upon a payment default and would leave me liable if that happened. I will be becoming a NY resident at some point this year.

I was told that I can move to NY with NY compliant rifles and shotguns to include semi auto rifles that are NY compliant and owned prior to becoming a resident. I am thinking my only option is to sell my pistols and purchase again later after I have a NY Pistol permit. I don't think that I can legally leave a pistol anywhere other than those high dollar firearms storage facilities.

I was also told that I can move to NY with ammo that I already own. None of my currently owned ammo falls under NY prohibited incendiary or armor penetrating ammo.

The ATF website says I can leave an NFA item at a friends house if they can't access the safe, have a copy of my NFA paperwork, and I give them a letter granting permission to store it with them. I might unload these items to not have to deal with the headache.

Does anyone have anything to add or other ideas?

It also looks like my sword and spear are legal as long as they are displayed only within a residence.

I believe the NY Safe Act prohibits me from moving a rifle or shotgun prior to becoming a NY resident.

(Berks County)

Default Re: PA resident taking a job in NY. What are my options to LEGALLY keep my firearms i

You'd best talk to a NY lawyer on what you can take there and when. I don't know what you can leave with whom in PA.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Chester County)

Default Re: PA resident taking a job in NY. What are my options to LEGALLY keep my firearms i

There's a reason why Remington closed their factory and moved out of New York State to Georgia. You should consider why moving to New York State is a good idea.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Bucks County)

You can legally leave all of your firearms in Pa. in the custody of a friend, storage unit or any other secure location. That kind of arrangement will probably go south quickly, as they usually do but it's not illegal afaik.

If you want to be "safe" sell your firearms and beat feet to N.Y. unarmed. You won't need firearms in N.Y. Gov. Screwdriver will be happy to look after your safety and security.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    You can legally leave all of your firearms in Pa. in the custody of a friend, storage unit or any other secure location. That kind of arrangement will probably go south quickly, as they usually do but it's not illegal afaik.
    I thought his friend would need to have a LTCF.

(Berks County)

I'd seriously look into remaining a PA resident and working NYS if this may be a shorter term job. It can certainly be done. I did it for a year. PA permanent resident, but worked near Buffalo during the week, coming back to PA nearly every weekend.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Only if the friend has control & custody of any "firearms". If they are locked up in a safe or secure cabinet - the friend just houses the safe/cabinet.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    That's my understanding, unless he transferred pistols to his pal through an ffl.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Bucks County)

I gave all my guns to my daughter several years ago when she still lived at home. She is a Nurse living in DC now, but keeps all her guns in a safe at my house. I gave them to her to make it easier for her when I*m gone. She lets me use them when i want.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    I gave all my guns to my daughter several years ago when she still lived at home. She is a Nurse living in DC now, but keeps all her guns in a safe at my house. I gave them to her to make it easier for her when I*m gone. She lets me use them when i want.
    My father and I had a similar arrangement.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast