Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How do you carry yours?

I've honestly never considered open carry until just a few hours ago. I can see myself enjoying it for a few weeks, then growing tired of the extra weight on my hip.

For those of you who do openly carry, is the possibility of someone taking your pistol a concern for you? The idea of someone taking and using my gun while I'm waiting on a line is kinda scary. Are holsters somehow designed to prevent this?

Another concern I have is carrying with a round in the chamber. My favorite pistol does have a "half-cocked" position, but I'm too paranoid to consider even using that. I'd most likely carry uncocked and with no round in the chamber. In reference to my above concern, at least it'd buy me some time to get my pistol back if someone grabbed it off my hip.

I'm definitely going to try open carry once I have the opportunity (I'm considering relocation to pa), but not until I understand a few things.

How do you all carry yours?

Default Re: How do you carry yours?

First, welcome to the forum and the state of Pa. I too, was originally from New York, but left in 1981 to go in the Navy, and then settled in Pa. after my tour was up.

A retention holster is a MUST if you are going to OC. Know the laws concerning firearms in the state and download the gun rights flyer found in the stickys. You must also be very aware of your surroundings so as not to get caught off guard.

Carrying with a round in the chamber has been talked about in depth in other threads. Everyone has their own opinions on it. I myself would never carry without a round in the ready.

I carry in a leather galco holster, on my right hip. No problems so far, but I am a realative newbie to OC. Check out the site more and you will find everything you are looking for somewhere.

(Allegheny County)

My responses in blue...

Quote Originally Posted by nycrefugee View Post
    I've honestly never considered open carry until just a few hours ago. I can see myself enjoying it for a few weeks, then growing tired of the extra weight on my hip.

I'm confused. OC or CC, there's still a gun on your hip.
    Maybe you will grow tired of it. Nobody sez you have to carry a gun. As the saying goes, guns are not meant to be comfortable, they are meant to be comforting. (Or something like that)

For those of you who do openly carry, is the possibility of someone taking your pistol a concern for you? The idea of someone taking and using my gun while I'm waiting on a line is kinda scary. Are holsters somehow designed to prevent this?

It's something to consider, and it will concern some people more than others. There are a lot of variables, and no easy answers. And yes, some holsters are designed to prevent/deter a gun grab.(Retention holsters)
    Personally, I would not carry openly without one.

Another concern I have is carrying with a round in the chamber. My favorite pistol does have a "half-cocked" position, but I'm too paranoid to consider even using that. I'd most likely carry uncocked and with no round in the chamber. In reference to my above concern, at least it'd buy me some time to get my pistol back if someone grabbed it off my hip.

I normally say "do what feels best for you", but I really feel that carrying w/o one in the chamber is pointless. I won't even get into it... others will do it for me, I'm sure.

I'm definitely going to try open carry once I have the opportunity (I'm considering relocation to pa), but not until I understand a few things.

Understanding is a good idea. Carrying in general is not something to be taken lightly. If you plan to carry openly, be prepared, and know the laws that pertain to carrying in that manner... know them very well indeed.

On my hip.

Last edited by Emptymag; November 21st, 2008 at 12:24 AM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

EM pretty much summed it up....

DID i actually say that...........

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by nycrefugee View Post

Loaded with one in the pipe

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

When I choose to open carry, the gun is loaded (round in chamber), in an out of the waist band holster on my waist at the strong side position.

I'm not going to go into a the "Condition One vs.______" saga, as that's kind of a repeat issue and it's never made sense to me to carry in any other manner than fully loaded.

For a good read about carrying with a round in the chamber or not, look at these threads:

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...e-chamber.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...e-chamber.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...-one-pipe.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...d-chamber.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...e-chamber.html
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Monroe County)

Cocked and Locked with one in the chamber. (1911)
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Dauphin County)

i carry mine with style grace and a somewhat odd sexuality
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Cocked and Locked with one in the chamber. (1911)
    What he said. same weight if it is oc or cc.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by 4XLT View Post
    i carry mine with style grace and a somewhat odd sexuality
    I'm trying very hard here not to form an image in my mind right now.

To the OP. Yeah, the extra weight is a pain for a while. Then it gets to the point where you feel uncomfortable if you don't have that weight on your belt. I've been carrying since 1991. OC or CC, the weight is there.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast