Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default "Made" while CCing

Just about anyone who recognizes my screen name knows I am a big proponent of open carry. But there are very specific times and places where I believe concealed is the better decision. One of them is church services on Sunday morning. While most of the people there know I carry, and a lot of them have seen me carrying openly, and I am the new head of the "Ministry of Security", I carry concealed so as not to alarm any of the new people who regularly show up for services. Today was very interesting.

We had a new guy show up for my Sunday School class. Right now I am teaching through the book of 2 Samuel, so there is a lot of fighting, weapons, so on and so forth. I get to allude to carrying a weapon on a regular basis without even having to try. During the course of discussion, I mentioned that I participated on a firearms forum (that would be this place). After the class was over, I went over to welcome the new guy, and after exchanging greetings, he (almost apologetically) asked me about my mention.

"You mentioned a firearms forum in class. I don't want to put you on the spot or anything, but we (he and his wife) just bought our first gun at Cabela's yesterday, and I was wondering if you knew of any ranges where we could go to shoot it."

"Yeah, I know of a couple of places."

"I don't want to put you on the spot or anything, if you don't shoot, or aren't into guns though!"

"Walk over here with me a minute."

We walked over to a corner of the fellowship hall where it wasn't so crowded. I lifted the edge of my shirt to show him my Sig Sauer riding on my hip.

"Does that answer your question?"

He got a great big grin on his face and told me this was just what he was looking for. It turns out they have been bringing their little girl with them for a children's club, and are looking for a church. He was all excited to find out that there are a couple of us who carry, and even more who belong to the local gun club. I gave him and his wife a couple of PA Patriot's brochures, and we talked for a while about his new revolver, where to shoot, and about getting together for some informal instruction. His wife was all excited about meeting up with me as well. Plus, he liked the class I was teaching - or at least, he didn't fall asleep!

And the made part? One of my friends came up to me and informed me that she saw me "flashing my gun at the new people". She said (in a good natured way), "What are you trying to do, scare the new folks?" When I explained all that I just wrote above, she just rolled her eyes and laughed.

As an added bonus one of the men came up to me after church to ask my advice on buying his first firearm. He wants to get it and learn to use it before the supply dries up or is cut off. We'll be armed to the teeth before long.
    Last edited by PennsyPlinker; November 9th, 2008 at 06:50 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: "Made" which CCing

Sounds like you are doing your part.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Montgomery County)

As the "new head of the "Ministry of Security", i would immediately budget FA mp-5's and mp-5k's for the whole security force . You could conceal them under your robes or sports coats (whichever you wear) .

But seriously, i have to give you props for introducing new shooters at church. That's great!! I also have to give props to the guy that asked you about it. I think your big stature would / could be intimidating enough but for them to approach you about it took some balls on their end.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    As the "new head of the "Ministry of Security", i would immediately budget FA mp-5's and mp-5k's for the whole security force .
    Where do I sign up?

As we've come to expect from ya, good job PennsyPlinker.

(Monroe County)

I had thought about driving down to check out your service before, but it is way far for me. After reading that story, I leaned a bit farther toward dragging my lazy ass out of bed on Sunday and actually trekking to that God and guns place you hang out at

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

This brings new meaning to the phrase "The lord works in mysterious ways."

WTG on teaching a sunday school class, and WTG on helping out a new gun owner!

Bibles and guns indeed!
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Clarion County)

Smile Re: "Made" which CCing

What a fascinateing thread,you are truely a jewel within our ranks.
    A mentor to the rest of us with access to larger groups of people,absolutely
    a possible icon to our cause.

Clinging to guns and religion,kinda sheds a whole new light on the subject.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and responses. I look at this stuff like this. Any opportunity I get to help people along with their right to keep and bear arms, I am going to take it. Most of the stories I tell are about people I run into and the chances I get to talk to them. I'm just the reporter. It is fun, but it is more about them than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    As the "new head of the "Ministry of Security", i would immediately budget FA mp-5's and mp-5k's for the whole security force . You could conceal them under your robes or sports coats (whichever you wear) .

But seriously, i have to give you props for introducing new shooters at church. That's great!! I also have to give props to the guy that asked you about it. I think your big stature would / could be intimidating enough but for them to approach you about it took some balls on their end.
    I'd like to arm all the guys who have volunteered, and I am working to that end. Part of that is evangelizing other gun owners.

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    I had thought about driving down to check out your service before, but it is way far for me. After reading that story, I leaned a bit farther toward dragging my lazy ass out of bed on Sunday and actually trekking to that God and guns place you hang out at
    Headcase, if you get your butt, and any other butts in the Headcase family down for a service including my Sunday School class, lunch for the family is on me!

(Venango County)

Tell her you do it when explaining the 'offering' part of the service!

Coincidentally, I just watched a movie that paraphrased 1 Samuel 4:9 as

"Take courage and be men, lest you be slaves...:quit yourselves like men and fight."

I was not aware of this verse before so looked her up. The gist, per above, is lovely.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Northampton County)

Pennsy...where is your church?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast