Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default The Lady wants to get her LTCF but.

She has mentioned several time she wants to get her carry permit. Now that was all well and good untill she started talking about a carry gun. I was thinking something along the line of a Kel-tec PF9 or something similar. She said has said that she wont be carrying it on her mostly in her purse ect.... So now Im thinking a Ruger LCP like i carry on days that I go to work......NO WAY she hates the Ruger she said it "kicks" too much and it hurts her wrists. She said she wants something in a .22. I said you should atleast get something in a .380 acp or bigger. She has a Sig Sauer Mosquito that i bought for her a while back and she dosent shoot it alot but when she dose take it out to shoot she will put 400rds through it in one session. I said well why dont you just carry the Sig then...well its too big and i showed her a Walther P22 and she loved it. Now I already know that a ,22 is not a good SD round, in fact i would rather use my fists if it came down to it but her her that might be another story. So my questions are....

1. Dose anyone on here carry a P22 or any .22 on the regular
    2. I been looking at some snub .22 mag revolvers is the .22 mag worth going with over the .22lr?
    3. How should I approach advising her on the benefits of a .380 + sized caliber round
    4. Any other advice??
    Last edited by crakkajakka15; October 12th, 2008 at 02:13 AM.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: The Lady wants to get her LTCF but.

I'm sure some people carry a .22. A lot of people just think of stopping power so it tends to be a minimum of a 9mm. I'm sure at a worse case scenario you put a few .22 in some fool they're going to wish they went on down the street
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin-

(Philadelphia County)

If she's dead set on something in .22, try the .22 mag hollow point. That should make her happy. Definitely enough to stop somebody from further aggressions. IMHO.

Marry you, and ruin it all ? I say let's play in sin. ~Michele
    Do ya like warm oil massages ?~Me
    As long as it's gun oil.~Michele

(Dauphin County)

So the .22 mag is worth getting over the .22 lr?

(Lehigh County)

You need to get her to shoot an FN Five-seveN.

edit; though if you said she thinks a Sig Mosquito is too "big" I dunno if she'll particularly like the Five-seveN... worth a shot though, I certainly wouldn't feel undergunned with one.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Allegheny County)

IMO having her carry is more important than what she carries. If it is uncomfortable for her, or she doesn't like it. She will leave it in the car or at home.

If she doesn't like shooting it, she will not practice with it as much.

If she hits somebody in the face with a .22. They are most likley going to die or be incapacitated. Same as any other vital area. Heart, lungs... if she is accurate and totally unafraid of the weapon she is using. Then that's what she needs to use. Just switch your tactics. Get her to put a full magazine on target at a time. Accurately.

A .22 is not my choice for a carry weapon or defense but I will take it over my fists ANY day. Because its still a gun. And there's still a chance when someone sees or hears a gun they will flee. Noone wants to get shot. And I don't see anyone standing around trying to attack you with a magazine emptied into their chest. .22 or otherwise. Again, not my ideal choice by far. But its better than not.

I have shot a P22 and its a comfy gun. I have larger hands, but its still easy to wrap it up and shoot. Reasonably accurate. I can see why she would like it. I like it. I had thought about getting one just to toy around with. Just priorities... I have other toys in mind first.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; October 12th, 2008 at 04:07 AM.

(York County)

While a .22 is not my caliber of choice I have scene several people severly injured and killed with a .22 shot. Working is EMS. More to the point IMO merely producing a weapon is most important. If she were confronted on the street and pulled a gun on most of the thugs I see around, it would not matter the caliber, they'd tell there frineds " I was gonna jack this bitch last night right, and you know she pulled outta fitty cal man". Seriously they won't know the difference,and if she is that comfortable shooting and hits her mark, those are the 2 most important things to think of when considering what to use as a carry piece.

Dave
    3%

(Butler County)

I have the Walther P-22 and I love it. I heard the same arguments about stopping power. With me, I found that I couldn't work the slide on most of the other guns I had tried. What is the use of having a gun if you can't work it. It was between the P-22 or the Mosquito and I went with the P-22 because it was smaller and a little lighter. I am a better shot with this gun than with the bigger caliber guns because it is light enough to shoot without too much effort.

I don't carry a purse and it's light weight keep the gun from pulling my pants down to my a** crack.
    Last edited by Kimba; October 12th, 2008 at 06:25 AM.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by crakkajakka15 View Post
    So the .22 mag is worth getting over the .22 lr?
    For what it is worth.

My in laws raise their own beef. Once a year they put a cow down. The brother in law has a ruger revolver. He told me one time he put in the 22 mag cylinder. Walked up to the cow and put one into its head. He said the cow just looked at him. He went back into the house and put the 22 cylinder into the revolver. Put a .22 into its head. The cow went right down.

I did not see this first hand. But based on this I would use a 22 before the 22 mag.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    IMO having her carry is more important than what she carries. If it is uncomfortable for her, or she doesn't like it. She will leave it in the car or at home.

If she doesn't like shooting it, she will not practice with it as much.

If she hits somebody in the face with a .22. They are most likley going to die or be incapacitated. Same as any other vital area. Heart, lungs... if she is accurate and totally unafraid of the weapon she is using. Then that's what she needs to use. Just switch your tactics. Get her to put a full magazine on target at a time. Accurately.

A .22 is not my choice for a carry weapon or defense but I will take it over my fists ANY day. Because its still a gun. And there's still a chance when someone sees or hears a gun they will flee. Noone wants to get shot. And I don't see anyone standing around trying to attack you with a magazine emptied into their chest. .22 or otherwise. Again, not my ideal choice by far. But its better than not.

I have shot a P22 and its a comfy gun. I have larger hands, but its still easy to wrap it up and shoot. Reasonably accurate. I can see why she would like it. I like it. I had thought about getting one just to toy around with. Just priorities... I have other toys in mind first.

Great post.

The .22 she feels comfortable shooting and can put 1000 rounds downrange in an afternoon is better than a bigger gun she may leave at home.

I think the p22 is a great gun for her. It's small, light, yet accurate, and comfortable.

You should really listen to her if she says a .380 mouse gun "kicks" too much. She won't like to shoot it, and may flinch and miss the shot when it really counts. Then the bigger round is totally useless.

Listen to your wife, buy her the .22 and then work her up to larger calibers if she's interested. With a little (cheap) practice with that .22 she'll be deadly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast