Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Legality of self defence

So I was talking to a security officer on campus and she told me to be careful. Apparently a black male was walking around with a shotgun robbing people here around campus in west Phily. My GF was a little freaked out, but i reminded that this is why I carry a pistol, something she has said in the past was a waste of money (apparently my dad buying a Porsche cheap because the economy is bad is also a waste of money, but i drove it and i disagree immensely ).
    So I was thinking about it as i drove home. If i was approached my said individual with a shotgun say as I was walking to my car. Whats the legality if I shot him? Like anyway you look at it, my ruger LCP isn't as powerful, so the only way i could win it a situation like that is to put rounds in him as quickly as possible. Like i couldn't be like "hey put down the gun or I'll shoot", he would probably just shoot both of us. Retreat really isn't an option since shotguns have pretty good range (in the hands of a presumably inexperienced shooter vs a handgun). Is someone pointing a shotgun at you "deadly force", so could you shoot them in self defense?
    -Alex

(Pike County)

Default Re: Legality of self defence

I will leave most of this for the more legal minded members here, but someone pointing a shotgun (or any gun) at you is BIG TIME deadly force.

(Dauphin County)

"if" someone was pointing a shotgun/any gun at me they better be shooting, cuz as soon as my pistol clears leather i will be... that is basic self defense !!
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

(Clarion County)

Most of these type of assults are pretty close range,that shot gun is more than ample.OODA.Observe,orient,decide,and act.Self awareness is critical.Know what's going on around you at all times.Observe,see the threat before it's close range.Orient,look for cover or enough time to ready your weapon if nessesary.Decide what your action will be.Act,don't react.Always "think ahead"one step of the assailent.Awareness is the key.the whole thing may be avoided by awareness alone.Be safe and practice with your weapon.If you can't hit the target,-!-PRACTICE and practice some-more.

(Lehigh County)

Well, if a black guy came up to me with a shot gun, I'd be sorely tempted to give him a stern lecture about how OC'ing like that could screw things up for the rest of us 2a supporting folks.

/and if we were in Philly, I'd want to see his LTCF.

//Eh? What? Oh... never mind.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kayland View Post
    Well, if a black guy came up to me with a shot gun, I'd be sorely tempted to give him a stern lecture about how OC'ing like that could screw things up for the rest of us 2a supporting folks.

/and if we were in Philly, I'd want to see his LTCF.

//Eh? What? Oh... never mind.
    That was funny.Self defense is self defense.To think of the after math just shows that we are responsible.But it must be,an after-thought.-To steal a quote,(I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.Nobody can tell you to what extend the repercussions,-DON'T SHOOT THEM IN THE BACK!

(Luzerne County)

any weapon pointed at you is grounds for self defense, but just as important is the post by dman. Always make sure of your suroundings, If you know what to look for (a persons body language, or if the shotgun is visiable, or clothes not matchimg the weather, long coat in warm weather usually tells you he is hiding something) can make a big difference. I always assume a criminal with a gun is stupid enough to use it for no reason at all, or becomes so nervous he can accidently fire it into you. so with this in mind you must also be able to make that split decision and know you can kill or be killed. and I suggest practicing different senerials.

(Montgomery County)

Of course i personally consider this self defense. I was talking more about legally, would i be prosecuted for defending myself?

(Monroe County)

I stopped reading after "dad bought a Porsche..." then dad has enough to ensure a good defense team should the need arise

just sayin'

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Union County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    I stopped reading after "dad bought a Porsche..." then dad has enough to ensure a good defense team should the need arise

just sayin'
    lol! Do you really think the legal sector is going to adjust their rates of retainment to match the dwindling economy? THAT'S funny! He said "bought a Porsche cheap..."

let me know when they start printing "attorney super saver coupons" in your local paper
    Girls, Guns and Gears......What more could you ask for in life?!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast