Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Man PayPal SUCKS!

Recently sold a phone on Ebay and of course using Ebay the only way to keep people from trying to buy your stuff from Nigeria is to require paypal...

Now they put a HOLD on the money sent to you until the receiver APPROVES the package or 21 days expires... are you fucking kidding me?!?!?! I shipped it out immediately, USPS has confirmed delivery but I still can't touch MY money which was for MY item which I SOLD until Paypal says its okay? How the hell does this work? If they say they don't want it they just take the money back and keep the item?

Not to mention the fricken 3% right off the top that they took just for the service being used (this of course is in addition to all the Ebay fee's I'll owe).

fuckin bastards!
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Man PayPal SUCKS!

Paypal does suck in those aspects... open a money market accnt with them and you earn that money right back (minus the fact that the market sucks right now)

‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’

— James Earl Jones

(Lehigh County)

Now they put a HOLD on the money sent to you until the receiver APPROVES the package or 21 days expires...
    That hold policy is only for sellers who haven't established themselves yet with duration on eBay/Paypal and decent feedback ratings.

If you're new or haven't done a lot of business and established yourself as reliable, it makes sense for Paypal to institute these safety nets for the buyer and for themselves.

It's just like starting a small business... you're not going to get a $100K line of credit right out the gate, you're going to have to have a few successful transactions with suppliers and customers before you're fully trusted.
    Last edited by Robert Kayland; October 10th, 2008 at 12:11 AM.

(Monroe County)

I've got like 10 feedback on Ebay and have done dozens of transactions through Paypal before.

No it doesn't make sense... they aren't "extending me credit" they are taking money from one person, taking their cut, and giving it to me for an item.

It would be the equivalent of going to a store and buying good and being told to come back in 3 weeks to pick up the goods because I hadn't shopped there before.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

It blows. It is usually if you sell something for over like $100. I just went through it with a VCR I sold on ebay. They will release the money three days after the item is verified delivered, or the day after the buyer leaves positive feedback. I waited a total of 17 days for my money, if you count that the buyer didn't pay until the 6th day......

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I've got like 10 feedback on Ebay and have done dozens of transactions through Paypal before.

No it doesn't make sense... they aren't "extending me credit" they are taking money from one person, taking their cut, and giving it to me for an item.

It would be the equivalent of going to a store and buying good and being told to come back in 3 weeks to pick up the goods because I hadn't shopped there before.
    I don't think 10 feedbacks is enough to get past the hold limit yet. If memory serves, I think the figure was 100.

This isn't the same as "going to the store"... this is Cyberia, where all sorts of scams take place due to the ease of anonymity, hence, wider precautions are needed in order to make buyers overcome their hesitancy.

I merely used the corollary of credit because it is a matter of building trust, and in a manner of speaking, credit is being extended... by the buyer to the seller, through this middleman called Paypal.

Paypal is establishing itself as pretty much the main virtual payment clearinghouse for doing business in cyberspace, and part of making that happen is overcoming buyer fears and mistrust.

Yes, it's an inconvenience for those who haven't established a strong enough trust record yet, and nobody likes to pay fees (until they stop and think about all the money they've saved by having the convenience of the system and gaining business they might not have gotten, were it not for the system)...

But so far what they're doing works, and has opened a world of opportunity and convenience for those who do a large part of their shopping on the 'net.

(Allegheny County)

Paypal is a scamming, garbage service with the capacity to freeze, hold, and even steal your funds with little to no reason at all. The whole entity is a scam, as they can freeze your funds, and you have to sue them to get your money back. And even then, it will cost you more to sue, than to just walk away. And they know this.

Paypal sucks. Their new wait / for the buyer to clear it bullshit can eat a fat dick. The motivation to sell on ebay basically went in the shitter when I have to wait 5 years for my money. Its a set up for failure, catering to already finicky and whining buyers.

Some kid returned an item on a buddy of mine because he "changed his mind" after the item was already shipped and paid for. So he filed a claim mid shipment and tried to weasel his way out of it. And paypal gave his money back.

I had one guy pull the same routine with a $2000 set of wheels. He got his money back and KEPT MY F!ing wheels saying they were damaged! He didn't even opt for insurance. I paid for the insurance on it, but he refused to file a damage claim. Paypal gave him his money and he got my stuff. How F'ed up is that? They add buyer protection when 80% of the scammers are the buyers now. Great idea paypal!

I hate paypal so very much. They owe me a set of wheels still. or $2k + interest.

(Allegheny County)

I was also recently screwed by paypal when the seller of a $150 item I purchased(not from ebay) withdrew their payment from my account, and kept telling me the item was out of stock and they were waiting for a re-stock shipment. Now it's been over 2 months, haven't got my item, cannot get in touch with seller and paypal won't even look at my claim because it's over the 45 days, BULL SHIT. I could not even imagine how pissed I'd be if it were for 2k and a set of wheels.

(Allegheny County)

I have a 20 day rule with paypal. Anything I would purchase or sell cannot get here/there in <20 days. I don't want it, or need to sell it that bad.

P E R I O D.

For that very reason. As silly as it sounds I still take checks as a business. They are more reliable than paypal. And UNLIKE paypal... courts understand what a "BAD" check is, and people go to jail for it ALL the TIME. I've put more than a handful there for bad checks already. Once you start trying to explain, 'online' and 'paypal' to the sheeple its not black and white like BAD CHECK = jail. So I still take them.

Another reason paypal sucks is they have a no firearms policy! Let's not forget how they selectively push their own agenda with what you can and can't buy with their services.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; October 10th, 2008 at 04:49 AM.

Yeah, Ebay keeps going downhill. All the new regulations recently about feedback, etc.

It just sucks how commercial it's become too.

I've done about 600 deals there since 1999, mostly selling.

I have never accepted PayPal (mainly because of their seller fees) and never had any payment problems with money orders.

There were two cases where buyers backed out and never sent payment, but I did not send out items either, so no loss to me and I resold the stuff anyway.

I do use PayPal to buy things on Ebay, as it doesn't cost the buyer anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast