Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CHANGES TO PA LAW ???

I was riecently told that as a md resident with a florida non resident ccw that it is now invalid in pa unless I have a ccw in md this information was related to me from york county states atty office apperintly this change went into effect july 2006

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: CHANGES TO PA LAW ???

bullocks..

No such law took effect requiring that. The only law that took effect in 2006 was HB1717 that passed in late 2005 and it made the state AG get more agreements and made provisions for those under a PFA order to temporarily handover their weapons for safe keeping.

The FL non-resident is still good in PA. They are confusing PA's requirement of having a permit from the home state to obtain a PA license with the reciprocal coverage.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by cbr600 View Post
    I was riecently told that as a md resident with a florida non resident ccw that it is now invalid in pa unless I have a ccw in md this information was related to me from york county states atty office apperintly this change went into effect july 2006
    For my 2000th post I choose to answer this after researching all available data.
    AFAICS, what you are talking about has to do with being issued a Pa. Non-resident License to Carry Firearms. You can only be issued a PA non res LTCF if you hold a license/permit from your home state, or your home state does not issue a permit/license but you would not be disqualified under Pa. law. Please refer the numb-nut who gave you this info to the Pa. Attorney General's website on firearms reciprocity, third paragraph down states:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note: It has come to the attention of the Office of Attorney General that there has been confusion over the applicability of Pennsylvania's reciprocal privileges with regard to the residency status of an individual who has been issued a valid license/permit. It is the position of the Office of Attorney General that recognition within Pennsylvania is based on the issuance to an individual of a valid license/permit by the reciprocal contracting state, and not on the license/permit holder's place of residence.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

What that means in English, is it does not matter where you live as long as you have a valid permit that has been issued by a state we have reciprocity with, and Florida is one of those states.

By law, the AG has to keep the reciprocity website up to date, and if the reciprocity agreement had been altered, the newest version would be on-line. You are good.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Geeze, more idiots who are suppossed to know the law and don't! Your FL lisc is valid. If you are worried, keep a copy of the state's AG statement with you. You would think these people would WANT more people carrying and not try and discourage it with BS. Citizens carrying helps everyone- if criminals know a bunch of people are carrying they go elseware.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Luzerne County)

There was no new law and an out of state license was always valid in PA.

However, it took the re-wording to fully explain this to certain people.

(Allegheny County)

write a letter to the PA AG asking for a clarification of this situation and then carry this letter or a copy in your wallet.
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpi View Post
    write a letter to the PA AG asking for a clarification of this situation and then carry this letter or a copy in your wallet.

Its really not an issue anymore to the PSP and most local LEO's. Some individual officers just dont grasp the concept of reciprocal agreements and licensing.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Its really not an issue anymore to the PSP and most local LEO's. Some individual officers just dont grasp the concept of reciprocal agreements and licensing.
    Isn't that the truth.

One officer I talked to didn't realize that there were state permits that PA didn't recognize. He'd mis-read the clause about any permit to carry in a vehicle to mean any permit, period!

I corrected him on that, and showed him the list of reciprocal states.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    He'd mis-read the clause about any permit to carry in a vehicle to mean any permit, period!
    actually, though, it does mean any permit (from any state) as far as carrying in a vehicle goes.

reciprocity is only needed for CCing outside of a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by cbr600 View Post

Good to see you made it here.
    There is literaly tons of info here, and some pretty decent people!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast