Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default anyone check in a firearm on an international flight??

ok, im getting ALOT of mixed advice on this one.. namely as i leave the US, not coming back in, my questions are solely for flights departing the US

even friends and family i have in CBP cant answer cause the TSA is its own agency and TSA made it out to be an easy process, but the woman didnt have specific info tho, almost as if she was reading to me what ive already found on the web site, and that i should ask the airline, which i did, Delta gave me to go, but i figured ide ask here if anyone has hands on exp with this one..

im going to europe in september from phili international, ive taken shotguns with me in the past with no ill effects or delays, simple check in process, firearms deceleration and have a nice day, even leaving JFK one year

but in this case, ill be taking my said 12g S/A with me and G19, im thinking in a TSA approved case to hold both..

some have suggested the TSA process for pistols will delay my check in and i should go to the airport HOURS in advance, not just the usual 2-3 as ive been doing for years cause me and the pistol will be subjected to some sort of PICS, which will be done by CBP, i.e.. TSA will contact CBP to do PICS, wait for CBP to arrive, wait for pics approval and then proceed to check in, The firearms should be in separate tsa approved cases, and i should have my original pics approval for the pistol with me to prove ownership and to speed up the process.. and some others suggestions that i KNOW are just people liking the sound of their own voice

and if in fact this whole process is done, how long does it take, and about the pics.. , isnt that some sort of violation considering i already own the firearm?, i.e.. passed pics to buy it
    they never checked ownership on shotguns all these years

anyone go thru this? i do know its a diff process for domestic
    Last edited by ghost183; June 29th, 2016 at 04:49 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: anyone check in a firearm on an international flight??

First rule is "check the country that you are landing in" and see what their restrictions are on ownership of long guns and hand guns. Then go from there. Dave_n

From TSA: Also, please note that other countries have different laws that address transportation and possession of firearms. If you are planning to travel internationally, check the regulations of the destination country to ensure compliance with their requirements.
    http://blog.tsa.gov/2014/06/travelin...mmunition.html

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

(Berks County)

Yes. I have checked rifles and pistols thru on a international flight. Germany was the destination.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by d4xycrq View Post
    Yes. I have checked rifles and pistols thru on a international flight. Germany was the destination.
    smooth check-in or riddled with delays and headaches cause of the pistol? anything i should know about regarding the pistol? any suggestions?

i understand the process, ive been thru it for long guns, i keep the keys, i wait at the counter and dont proceed thru check-in until they give me the "ok", its the pistol thats a first for me

and yes, im already LTC in greece, and that permit already has this glocks serial number on it, so entering and leaving greece isnt a problem, no issues with long guns entering and leaving greece

(Erie County)

Why, not, do the U.S. Customs and Border Protection process for registration, on a day, other than, the travel day?

An excerpt from the CBP Help FAQ, Temporarily taking a firearm, rifle, gun, shotgun or ammunition abroad, indicates you can, still, do the CBP 4457 registration with your proof of ownership, at any time, and, any CBP Port of Entry.
    You also have the option of registering in advance at a CBP Port of Entry. Once the CBP 4457 is completed, it can be used repeatedly for that particular firearm.
    Edit:
    Never-mind, I noticed you are in Wayne County. Your closest options for Ports of Entry are places you, most likely, could never go with a G19, and, the next options are Philadelphia, or, Harrisburg.
    Last edited by Klyde; July 1st, 2016 at 01:26 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Klyde View Post
    Why, not, do the U.S. Customs and Border Protection process for registration, on a day, other than, the travel day?

An excerpt from the CBP Help FAQ, Temporarily taking a firearm, rifle, gun, shotgun or ammunition abroad, indicates you can, still, do the CBP 4457 registration with your proof of ownership, at any time, and, any CBP Port of Entry.

Edit:
    Never-mind, I noticed you are in Wayne County. Your closest options for Ports of Entry are places you, most likely, could never go with a G19, and, the next options are Philadelphia, or, Harrisburg.
    CBP has offices at smaller airports that don't have regular International commercial airline service. Most, if not all of those offices are on the airport perimeter or near the private FBOs. The office at Allentown/ Lehigh Valley is on Postal Rd in Allentown. There is also an office at Scranton-Wilkes Barre.

You can do the registration paperwork for both long guns and hand guns there.

(Wayne County)

ok, well.. all this CBP info, EEI and AES is news to me, apparently its been suspended somewhat and in all my yrs of taking my 12g with me, ive never had a run in or even a mention of registering it, even for or on return...

ok, so maybe there is some basis to the here-say ive been listening too.. but, how concrete is it?

4457 covers all types of firearms, but i can tell you first hand that form 4457 has never been required for me to go and come back with my shotgun, i guess its another "we dont maintan a registry" and this is ONLY for you to have a hassle free return... BS i say

i have never filled one out for return into the US and like i said,, no one has ever mentioned it to me either.. i have never had any run in or request from CBP.. i have family in CBP and will ask them to be sure

(Berks County)

Ghost,

Saw your IM.

There was no drama at my departure airport. Maybe added an extra 10 minutes at the counter. A wise traveler would leave plenty of margin.

I followed my airline's rules. Took no ammo, so that was not a factor. Pistols were in a briefcase looking case. Rifles were in a long case.

Now, as a previous poster said; it's the destination rules you need to obsess over. But sounds like you have that under control. You scared me a little when you said you were traveling to "Europe". Europe is a region....not a country (yet!).

I have no experience with flying back into the US. My guns came back in a household goods container.

Ray

(Montgomery County)

As others have said, the bigger concern is the port of entry in a foreign country.
    I would double check to make sure the country of destination regulations have not changed since your last visit there.
    As for departure the smart play is to give yourself 2 extra hours for the firearms.
    The worst that could happen is that you end up with extra time for a coffee.
    CBP regulations can and do change without notice.
    A smooth ride through CBP can be contingent on something as simple as the experience level of the guy on duty and/or his supervisor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast