Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Ocers-How many visits does it take feel comfortable with a place?

How many times do you usually have to visit a given place before you feel comfortable that you won't be bothered there?

For me it seems to be about 3 times. I'm totally comfortable with the places I go to a lot. I get a little nervous when I go someplace for the first time OC. Sometimes something will put me back on edge in a familiar place. For example the recent Wal Mart incidents of others had me a little concerned, thankfully unessecarily.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Ocers-How many visits does it take feel comfortable with a place?

Oddly enough, I am always a little on edge no matter where I OC. I have been places with no problems 10 or 15 times, and then suddenly there is an encounter. I don't think any place is immune to an incident, no matter how many times you have been there, as there are not always the exact same people in any given location. I also think it is good to be a little uncomfortable, as this keeps your awareness level high.. just my $.02

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(York County)

Agreeing with headcase. I never feel totally at ease so to speak when I OC. You go places that serve the public you never know whose gonna be there,and what their views of firearms are. So you just never know.

Dave
    3%

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Oddly enough, I am always a little on edge no matter where I OC. I have been places with no problems 10 or 15 times, and then suddenly there is an encounter. I don't think any place is immune to an incident, no matter how many times you have been there, as there are not always the exact same people in any given location. I also think it is good to be a little uncomfortable, as this keeps your awareness level high.. just my $.02
    Pretty much this right here.

I sort of agree with what Headcase has written, although I might describe it a little differently. I am always conscious of what is going on around me. I think part of that comes from being a practical joker all my life, and having snuck up on more people than I can remember, I am always alert for someone sneaking up on me. I also have a very large personal space, and I really dislike people getting inside of it (unless it happens to be Mrs. Plinker of course).

There are places like my bank, certain stores, and restaurants, where the people working there know me, and are comfortable with me being there. I don't worry about them. There is always the chance of the random anti gun person with a big mouth, but I try to be as prepared as possible for those encounters. Most people who might contemplate a confrontation tend to steer clear of me anyway because of my physical size, bearing, and deep voice. For places when it is the first time, I walk right in like I own the place, and of course everyone coming in is toting a gun. It is not arrogance, it is confidence. Most of this stuff is mental. If you act like you belong there, people will treat you like you belong there. If you skulk in the door, they are going to think you are up to no good, whether or not you are carrying.

Then there is the potential police interaction. I have talked to cops on many occasions, and under many circumstances. I have friends who are cops or who are ex-cops. I am not afraid of them or intimidated, and look them right in the eye when I speak to them. You should have seen the look on the face of the PSP cop who was fingerprinting me after he disarmed me. He asked me if I had any other weapons on me that I could use to hurt him, and I replied, well, only my hands, but I don't plan on using them for that. I was a good five or six inches taller than him and had way more than 100 lbs on him. I have already decided if I get one of these skinhead cops screaming at me to freeze and all that, I am going to scream back asking him why he thinks I am deaf and why he feels the need to scream. We'll see how that goes if it ever happens.

CC or OC, I think you need to have a plan of how you are going to behave in any situation that might come up. Lots of times you can generalize how you will handle something. If you plan for it ahead of time, you do not get taken aback or surprised to the point where you lock up and are unable to react appropriately. Of course, this is all the same as preparing to use your weapon, just on a different level.

(Chester County)

I am with head case I am never truly comfortable in a place while OCing. For me comfort leads to complacency and that is when you run into trouble. Always frosty, always alert.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    I have already decided if I get one of these skinhead cops screaming at me to freeze and all that, I am going to scream back asking him why he thinks I am deaf and why he feels the need to scream. We'll see how that goes if it ever happens.
    I would expect to be Tazed at that point

But please, let us know how it goes

As for OCing and being comfortable... I to am always a bit "on edge" when I'm out and about - it's just part of being aware of your surroundings. I'm always prepared for the possible "encounter" even at places I've been to dozens of times.

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    I would expect to be Tazed at that point

But please, let us know how it goes
    See that's the thing though. There would be no bulging eyes or bared teeth, just standing there talking in my best command voice. And I will ask an innocent question:

"WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING? DO YOU THINK I AM DEAF OR WHAT?"

Of course, I might be tempted to ask if he learned this method from watching cop shows on TV. I've never ever been able to keep my mouth shut when it comes to wise guy stuff like that - sort of like when the sheriff was screaming at me about leaving my gun at home, I reminded him he was the one who gave me the license to carry it around, so I was carrying it around with me.

(Butler County)

God I love that! I can I.D.a fellow smart ass a mile away, we can smell our own!

(Monroe County)

I sort of agree with what Headcase has written, although I might describe it a little differently. I am always conscious of what is going on around me. I think part of that comes from being a practical joker all my life, and having snuck up on more people than I can remember, I am always alert for someone sneaking up on me. I also have a very large personal space, and I really dislike people getting inside of it (unless it happens to be Mrs. Plinker of course).

There are places like my bank, certain stores, and restaurants, where the people working there know me, and are comfortable with me being there. I don't worry about them. There is always the chance of the random anti gun person with a big mouth, but I try to be as prepared as possible for those encounters. Most people who might contemplate a confrontation tend to steer clear of me anyway because of my physical size, bearing, and deep voice. For places when it is the first time, I walk right in like I own the place, and of course everyone coming in is toting a gun. It is not arrogance, it is confidence. Most of this stuff is mental. If you act like you belong there, people will treat you like you belong there. If you skulk in the door, they are going to think you are up to no good, whether or not you are carrying.

Then there is the potential police interaction. I have talked to cops on many occasions, and under many circumstances. I have friends who are cops or who are ex-cops. I am not afraid of them or intimidated, and look them right in the eye when I speak to them. You should have seen the look on the face of the PSP cop who was fingerprinting me after he disarmed me. He asked me if I had any other weapons on me that I could use to hurt him, and I replied, well, only my hands, but I don't plan on using them for that. I was a good five or six inches taller than him and had way more than 100 lbs on him. I have already decided if I get one of these skinhead cops screaming at me to freeze and all that, I am going to scream back asking him why he thinks I am deaf and why he feels the need to scream. We'll see how that goes if it ever happens.

CC or OC, I think you need to have a plan of how you are going to behave in any situation that might come up. Lots of times you can generalize how you will handle something. If you plan for it ahead of time, you do not get taken aback or surprised to the point where you lock up and are unable to react appropriately. Of course, this is all the same as preparing to use your weapon, just on a different level.
    See that's the thing though. There would be no bulging eyes or bared teeth, just standing there talking in my best command voice. And I will ask an innocent question:

"WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING? DO YOU THINK I AM DEAF OR WHAT?"

Of course, I might be tempted to ask if he learned this method from watching cop shows on TV. I've never ever been able to keep my mouth shut when it comes to wise guy stuff like that - sort of like when the sheriff was screaming at me about leaving my gun at home, I reminded him he was the one who gave me the license to carry it around, so I was carrying it around with me.
    If only we were all 6'4" 348 lbs 'ish,*sigh* I am fairly confident most of our police encounters would be conducted in just a touch more civil fashion......

...and we would probably find our steaks missing less... just sayin'

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast