Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Breaking the law?

I have been looking through some old threads and it seems that firearms are not allowed in state parks? I have been going to a range in Nescopeck state park since I was 4' tall and I'm pretty sure doing it legally. This might be a stupid question but is it legal and if so what makes it legal compared to others?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Breaking the law?

There is no range in the park. There was an informal range between Lake Francis and the wooden bridge, but that was shut down years ago.

(Luzerne County)

I believe we are talking about the same area and even though I now usually go on private land I have been there in the past year and didn't see anything that would keep me from going there.

(Chester County)

while we are on the subject, you cant carry in state parks, right? how about county parks?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by BFit70 View Post
    while we are on the subject, you cant carry in state parks, right? how about county parks?
    I'm confused about that also! I just went on the nescopeck state park website and it said guns are allowed in designated areas for hunting and target. But I also saw on the dcnr web site guns are not allowed.

(Allegheny County)

a lot of state parks allow hunting in designated areas. others don't.

there is an exception for hunting (where allowed) in the DCNR regulation against carrying in a state park.

as to county parks, it is up to the county whether to allow hunting in them or not...i've never come across a county park that allowed hunting, but some might.

as far as carrying in county parks, in theory you should be fine. the state has preempted the regulation of carrying, so counties may not "in any manner" regulate carrying.

however, some counties have banned carrying in their county parks. but, those regulations are in conflict with the state preemption clause. if you actually get busted for violating a county ban on carrying in a county park, you *should* win in court.

there is a thread around here somewhere documenting just how many counties and municipalities are in violation of the state preemption clause (there are a lot of them, but those ordinances/regulations rarely seem to be enforced).
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; August 14th, 2008 at 09:27 AM.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    a lot of state parks allow hunting in designated areas. others don't.

there is an exception for hunting (where allowed) in the DCNR regulation against carrying in a state park.

as to county parks, it is up to the county whether to allow hunting in them or not...i've never come across a county park that allowed hunting, but some might.
    So other than hunting even with a ltcf you can not cc or oc? Sorry to keep asking but I want to make sure.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by cadence2arms View Post
    So other than hunting even with a ltcf you can not cc or oc? Sorry to keep asking but I want to make sure.
    in a state park, that is correct.

it is a violation of a DCNR regulation. violating a DCNR regulation is, in turn, a summary offense.

so, carrying in a state park is a summary offense...kinda like littering in a state park.

legislation that would change that (and force the DCNR to get in line with the actual gun laws in PA) has passed the state house (unanimously) and is currently in committee in the state senate. so, hopefully, in the not-too-terribly-distant future, we will be rid of that stupidity and you will be able to carry in a state park without committing a summary offense.

regarding carrying in county parks, see my edits to my post above.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    in a state park, that is correct.

it is a violation of a DCNR regulation. violating a DCNR regulation is, in turn, a summary offense.

so, carrying in a state park is a summary offense...kinda like littering in a state park.

legislation that would change that (and force the DCNR to get in line with the actual gun laws in PA) has passed the state house (unanimously) and is currently in committee in the state senate. so, hopefully, in the not-too-terribly-distant future, we will be rid of that stupidity and you will be able to carry in a state park without committing a summary offense.

regarding carrying in county parks, see my edits to my post above.
    Thats exactly what I wanted to know, thanks! +1

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by cadence2arms View Post
    I believe we are talking about the same area and even though I now usually go on private land I have been there in the past year and didn't see anything that would keep me from going there.
    Trust me, don't shoot there. They closed this informal range a while ago.