Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default New QotD, If you OC, are there places or situations where you will not do so?

For the OC'ers, or even those who are contemplating carrying openly, what are your limits, if any? Is there a line you will not cross when it comes to where you will OC? Will you not OC around certain people?

I want each post to be a personal description of what your limits are, if you have any, or why you have no limits, and why. I do not want anti OC responses, or advice on why my, or anyone else's, reasons are wrong or right. Just your thoughts on what you do, and why.

For me, if I am going to a function that is centered around someone else, I will CC. For example, my son's concert, or my wife's office party. If the ever present possible negative reaction will likely reflect badly on someone else, or take the focus away from them, I will cover. If I am with someone who asks me to do so, to avoid a possible bad reaction, I will cover. For example, my wife wants to just pick a few things up in the store and asks me to cover it to avoid a twenty minute discussion with someone I meet, or someone I am doing work for asks me to cover or keep it in the car to avoid a bad reaction from a customer, I will do so. Pretty much as long as the person doing the asking is courteous, or paying me, I will cover.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: New QotD, If you OC, are there places or situations where you will not do so?

Good questions! In light of our many OC/CC discussions, this is a good topic to cover.

Personally, I find that I will CC if I am going into an environment where OC would be a major hassle (ie Senators game). If I am 'hanging out' it depends on who and where. Generally, if I do not expect a problem and my sidearm will not be a distraction, I OC. However, if I believe that my sidearm wil be a distraction or a problem, I will CC. I do not want to be the cause of a problem when a pleasant afternoon was the goal.

Church is also a no-no for OC.

So, OC is a matter of personal choice, but I think a little common sense and discretion is key to being sucessful as a 'practicing' OCer.

I will not push my rights on others (the rights I enjoy are available to every other law-abiding citizen as well), but I will not cease to exercise them either.
    in dei gloriam

"Skill in squeezing the trigger is the best life insurance you can get." - WWII Marksman Instructor

(Monroe County)

Default Re: New QotD, If you OC, are there places or situations where you will not do so?

Quote Originally Posted by rallen View Post
    Good questions! In light of our many OC/CC discussions, this is a good topic to cover.

Personally, I find that I will CC if I am going into an environment where OC would be a major hassle (ie Senators game). If I am 'hanging out' it depends on who and where. Generally, if I do not expect a problem and my sidearm will not be a distraction, I OC. However, if I believe that my sidearm wil be a distraction or a problem, I will CC. I do not want to be the cause of a problem when a pleasant afternoon was the goal.

Church is also a no-no for OC.

So, OC is a matter of personal choice, but I think a little common sense and discretion is key to being sucessful as a 'practicing' OCer.

I will not push my rights on others (the rights I enjoy are available to every other law-abiding citizen as well), but I will not cease to exercise them either.
    Excellent example of a good response to my question

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Lackawanna County)

other than places it's already illegal?

i won't go OC to a concert, or a sporting event, or a nightclub, because of alcohol induced stupidity.

i won't go OC to chuck e. cheese, toys'r'us, or similar places, because the soccer moms will have hissy fits.

i won't go OC into penn security, the steamtown mall, or the old country buffet, for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by jahwarrior72; August 9th, 2008 at 07:51 PM.

Excellent question Headcase! As you, and probably many others know, I OC as many places as I can. But there are those times when I think CC is the better option.

I CC to church for regular services. I do OC in church for other stuff that is not a regular service.

I CC for doctor appointments. There are people there who are sick and hurting, and causing them stress is not worth the issue.

I will CC if I am going into a section of town known for its bad guys. I want to promote OC as the norm in normal society, but some parts of town are not normal, and I do not need to be a target for someone who has something to prove.

Other than that, it is out for everyone to see. I just OC'd a little while ago into a local bar/pizzeria to buy dinner for the family. I got a bulge eyed look from the bar maid, but no comments, and no one had to be shot.

For me I OC most of the time.
    However, sometimes it is not convenient.
    Driving to and from work, I CC, Lock it up in the truck, can't carry at work.
    Just easier that way, other than that, it's a case by case situation.

(Lancaster County)

I OC where ever and whenever I can. I do have a few places that I won't OC because being asked to leave will ruin the day.

I won't OC at:

Movie Theater
    Sporting Events
    Malls (too many mall ninjas)
    Work (obvious reasons)
    Theme Parks
    Special Situations (Asked to conceal for the benefit of someone)

I OC pretty much everywhere else. I am sure there are a few places I am forgetting about though.

(Jefferson County)

Places I wont OC:
    Church
    bars/taverns
    heavy crowds
    weddings(unless its a cowboy theme - been to them)
    businesses that I know tend to have a no-gun policy.
    work - cant carry at all. but if I'm a rural right-of-way, I usually have a piece concealed.
    as an invitee to another family's functions unless they are OC'n.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

I won't OC at:

Worship services in church (I OC there otherwise)
    Sporting Events - including kids events
    Work - when I'm not at home
    States that don't permit me to OC when I travel (FL, TX)
    Places that are posted no firearms (which I decline to patronize)

I OC pretty much everywhere else.
    "...The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded...It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force."
    Marko Kloos 2007

(Lebanon County)

I don't carry where it's illegal.

At work I leave it in the car, as carrying is both against policy and a bad idea, but I OC on the way to and from work.

I CC at concerts if I reasonably believe I won't be discovered and expelled. If I think my weapon will be discovered and will get us kicked out I leave it in the car. If I get my fiancee thrown out of a concert our wedding will be off due the untimely demise of the groom.

I CC at the campground my fiancee's family frequents. It's mostly regulars, and there are a lot of out of state campers who my fiancee has known since childhood so she would prefer not to have the potential hassle. She has never asked me to go further than untucking my T-shirt which is usually tucked behind my holster.

I OC everywhere else I can think of, but I'm still new at this and there are a lot of places and situations that haven't come up for me yet. You guys give me a lot to think about as each place and situation is a unique.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast