Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default First REAL OC encounter...(non-LEO)

So I have been OC'ing for about a year and other than today my only 2 encounters have consisted of someone asking if I was an officer and when I said I was not they said okay and we continued our conversation and someone who made a statement about OC not to me but rather to my mother.

So needless to say absolutely no issues to this point...well................

Today I decided to go book shopping at the local Barnes and Nobles (Montgomeryville/North Wales in Montgomery Country). I was OC'ing my Springfield TRP in a blackhawk level II retention holster. I had walked around the store for about 1/2 hour or so looking at history and political books when I decided to stroll over to the magazine rack and see what gun magazines they had, turns out they had Shotgun News so I pulled up a stool and cracked it open to see what it was like before I decided to buy it. After a few minutes my ADD caught up with me and I decided to go back to the history and politics area. As I was walking over I was approached by 2 employees of the store...they made contact with me and the following conversation ensued.

Employee: Are you an officer?
    Me: No sir
    Employee: B-b-but your carrying a gun...
    Me: Yes sir, its completely legal
    Employee: That makes some people uncomfortable
    Me: Did someone say something to you?
    Employee: Several people expressed concern
    Me: Would it be okay if I concealed it as I have a license to do so?
    Employee: Yes that would be fine

So I pulled my t-shirt over the handgun, the employee helped me find the book I was looking for, I made my purchase and went on my way (OC'ing as soon as I got back to my car).

I'll have to give this incident a positive rating due to the fact that they COULD have called the police, asked me to disarm, asked me to leave etc...
    Rather I think that a good medium was found between my 2A rights and their property rights (their store, their rules). I was a bit nervous as they approached me but I must say they were VERY courteous and I WILL shop at that store again (i've been considering a call to the manger to commend him on how well his employees handled themselves, as well as to discuss OC/CC with him...maybe i'll do that).

Your thoughts?!?!?
    MOLON LABE

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: First REAL OC encounter...(non-LEO)

my .02 A good encounter. While I dont like being told when and where to OC.. I think it's better to come to an understanding than to invite a conflict.
    The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member

(Cumberland County)

Agreed, and you always have to remember that constitutional rights DON'T apply on private property. They CAN tell you what to say, how to act and what you can and can't carry and how you may do so.
    MOLON LABE

(Berks County)

I say good job on both sides, especially to you for offering to conceal when you could have pushed the issue. You made a very clear, and visible statement that gun owners aren't "insensitive [insert liberal anti-2A expletive]."

The only way that encounter could have gone any better would have been if they'd asked you to explain the legality and then let you go back about your shopping without covering up, but all things considered the way it worked out is a step in the right direction.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

I find it amazing that, once covered all is good.
    Thank God for that bit of fabric!!!
    They knew you were carrying, but it was ok if they didn't see it????????WTF!!!!!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    They knew you were carrying, but it was ok if they didn't see it????????WTF!!!!!
    I second this, WTF? I will never understand the logic behind it*shaking head*

I also think you did what was right for you and that is what OC is all about.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Luzerne County)

I think thats a step forward. Maybe That person will go home and do some research and find out its perfectly fine to OC in public. Then that person will tell their friend what happened and so on.. It helps spread the word in the simplest form; word of mouth!

(Blair County)

Come on Fingers. Now you're being silly. My G33 (.357 Sig) will penetrate windshields, engine blocks and cases of Kryponite.

On the other hand everyone knows the .357 Sig will not penetrate a Hanes T-shirt.

I give up. I'm going to shoot some bowls of jello now.
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

(Lehigh County)

The issue isn't if these employees can't see it, but the customers can't see it and won't be bothering the employees. If the employees had a problem with him having a gun, they would have called the police or asked him to leave, they did neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary737 View Post
    The issue isn't if these employees can't see it, but the customers can't see it and won't be bothering the employees. If the employees had a problem with him having a gun, they would have called the police or asked him to leave, they did neither.
    The customers already saw it, the employees know it's there. How is it gone now that it is out of sight????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast