Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Would you buy "smart" targets?

Hey everyone, it's been awhile since I've posted on here! I've been insanely busy with a new project, and I thought you guys might be interested in it.

Back in 2009, a few friends and I started experienting with target systems. After a few years of messing around on nights and weekends, we decided to get serious and make something that could actually go to market. That's when we came up with an idea for making targets that electrically sense bullet hits.

We are really close to bringing this to the market, and I just wanted to get some feedback from my fellow PAFOA'ers. Here's our website:

www.autotargets.com

And here's a video of us testing the system:

We still have some improvments to make but that should give you the general concept.

So I want to know, is this something you would consider buying? Any feedback/criticism? Let me know your thoughts!

Feel free to follow us: www.facebook.com/autotargets

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Would you buy "smart" targets?

"Smart targets" are not a new idea Olympic and big ISSF shooting has been using an electric scoring system for years. There's is (was) based on a network of wires behind the aiming area.

Here's an article on one that seems pretty impressive (and expensive too!): http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...oring-systems/

Like the vid, your system looks like it could be very useful. Hope you find great success! You might even try taking to one or two of the local "IDPA" or other "Action Pistol" matches and working it into one of the stages.
    Last edited by Brick; June 10th, 2015 at 06:06 PM.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    "Smart targets" are not a new idea Olympic and big ISSF shooting has been using an electric scoring system for years. There's is (was) based on a network of wires behind the aiming area.

Here's an article on one that seems pretty impressive (and expensive too!): http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...oring-systems/

Like the vid, your system looks like it could be very useful. Hope you find great success! You might even try taking to one or two of the local "IDPA" or other "Action Pistol" matches and working it into one of the stages.

Thanks for your input! We are aware of those systems, and a few other similar products available.

This product is intended for a different market. For one, our system is way less expensive - we are shooting for a starter kit to be about the price of a new pistol. Plus the fact that ours actually lifts the target up so it can surprise you, it brings a whole new element to reactive shooting. And you can control everything with an Android app.

This is intended for fast paced, reactive shooting. You can setup scenarios and test your reaction time, practice reload and malfunction drills, etc.

It's also great for long distance shooting. You could have targets pop up at 200, 400, and 600 yards and see how fast you can engage them.
    Last edited by bac0nfat; June 10th, 2015 at 06:55 PM.

Reminiscent of the Army Trainfire system in Ft Dix in the early 60's, but they were without the computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

My bad. I thought this was a thread about college educated members of isis.
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    My bad. I thought this was a thread about college educated members of isis.
    Haha, took me a minute!

I got smart targets that dig in my garbage cans all the time. They can sense when you take your gun out of your holster, the little bastards.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Allegheny County)

Tagging for later. Looks like a pretty darn good setup for a private range. I love doing the reactive steel targets when I go to the gunshop but it's pricey... Wonder what the cost for one of these will be.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Fool View Post
    Tagging for later. Looks like a pretty darn good setup for a private range. I love doing the reactive steel targets when I go to the gunshop but it's pricey... Wonder what the cost for one of these will be.
    Thanks! We are shooting for about thee cost of a new pistol for a starter kit, and you can add units and make it into a multi-target system from there.

We are hoping to get these into gun ranges, so that people can experience it without having to buy their own system. You would just be paying for the targets, which cost about the same as a box of ammo.

We will have more specific numbers on the cost in the next month or so, but that should give you a ballpark.

(Berks County)

Look pretty cool, though the price description is a bit vague. A new pistol can cost $200 - $2,000 or more. A box of ammo could be $5 to $50 to $150 etc.

What's the range of the wireless? Bluetooth? Does it show you on the app your exact shot placement, or is it just saying "hit" / "no hit"?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast