Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trouble getting CCW???

Well I just got my criminal history report back from the PA State Police and it says pretty much what I thought it would say.
    Guilty 1 count DUI (M2)
    Guilty 1 Count Reckless Endangering (M2)

If I am not mistaken I can still purchase a handgun legally. The question is will I have a hard time (if not impossible) getting a CCW?

EDIT: Both charges are stemming from the same incident six years ago.
    Last edited by Pennywise; July 14th, 2008 at 04:32 PM.

"you have no power; here is the power; feel the power, brat, and then speak again of how you come to kill the Eternal."
    Pennywise The Clown

(Chester County)

Default Re: Trouble getting CCW???

First... It's correctly called a License to Carry Firearms. LTCF. There is no requirement to carry concealed if you have one.

Second... You just might fall under that "Character" clause for denial of a LTCF.

EDIT::

§6109. Licenses.

(d) Sheriff to conduct investigation.-The sheriff to whom the application is made shall investigate the applicant's record of criminal convictions, shall investigate whether or not the applicant is under indictment for or has ever been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment exceeding one year, shall investigate whether the applicant's character and reputation are such that the applicant will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety and shall investigate whether the applicant would be precluded from receiving a license under subsection (e)(1) or section 6105(h) (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms) and shall conduct a criminal background, juvenile delinquency or mental health check following the procedures set forth in section 6111 (relating to firearm ownership)

EDIT2:: I just noticed you live in Philadelphia. You may have to move to a different county or else have your convictions expunged. Philly is notorious for denials.
    Last edited by PisnNapalm; July 14th, 2008 at 04:45 PM.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    First... It's correctly called a License to Carry Firearms. LTCF. There is no requirement to carry concealed if you have one.

Second... You just might fall under that "Character" clause for denial of a LTCF.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Also even if there is no requirement to carry concealed if I get my LTCF I CAN still carry concealed legally right?

Sorry about the newbie questions but there is a whole lot of stuff I am still learning about.

"you have no power; here is the power; feel the power, brat, and then speak again of how you come to kill the Eternal."
    Pennywise The Clown

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Yes, you can carry any way you want.

Also, you may just have a hard time due to the "nature of your character"

Good references might help with this. A laywer might be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post

Good references might help with this. A laywer might be even better.
    I was going to ask about that. Is there an appeals process and if so is there a time limit? I thought I had read somewhere on this board about filing an appeal within 30 days or the person fileing is SOL.

Pennywise The Clown

(Butler County)

I don't know exactly how long you have to appeal, but it's NOT LONG!!!! 30 days sounds about right.

Others on here know exactly how long. But correct me if i'm wrong. Did you even apply yet? You never know, you might not have a problem. None of your charges directly disqualify you for a license. It's all if the sherriff wants to call you a danger to society.

I say just apply, and if you get denied then appeal right away with a lawyer.
    Last edited by P-11 shooter; July 14th, 2008 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    I don't know exactly how long you have to appeal, but it's NOT LONG!!!! 30 days sounds about right.

Others on here know exactly how long. But correct me if i'm wrong. Did you even apply yet? You never know, you might not have a problem. None of your charges directly disqualify you for a license. It's all if the sherriff wants to call you a danger to society.

I say just apply, and if you get denied then appeal right away with a lawyer.
    My grandfather allways said "hope for the best, But expect the worst"
    So I just want to have all my ducks in a row before I apply.
    And I may be mistaken about this also but I think I need to go through the Philly police chief to get my LTCF. Chief Ramsey does not seem exactly 2A friendly to me.

First order of business though is my first gun purchase. I'll be going with a friend to a local range and try out a few of his before making the decision.

Pennywise The Clown

(Butler County)

philly is going to be a tought sell. You'd be ALOT better if you lived somewhere else.

Still you aren't automatically disqualified. However, alot of these sheriffs kind of make up their own rules. Philly however does this like no other and even continues to do it when the supreme court tells them it's illegal

Anyway, get your ducks in a row, and get the best references you can. Then prepare to get a lawyer who knows gun laws and wait it out.

If you need advice on a first gun there are alot of great threads on here.

Or start your own. Welcome to the forum. Good luck.

Thanks for the info and the welcome. I really like it here aton PAFOA

Pennywise The Clown

(Monroe County)

Your best bet is to go down to the firearms unit and apply. If you are denied, get a lawyer and appeal. If you try to get these convictions expunged, you will be waiting a long time. Even if you are successful, the state police are notorious for disregarding expungements. Apply and if you get denied and lose your appeal, you are only barred from re-applying for one year. Something tells me the process to get the convictions expunged will be longer than that. So in other words, you really have nothing to lose, and you might wind up pleasantly surprised.....IANAL, but I am sure one will chime in soon...

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast