Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OC Dog Search

Default OC Dog Search

Today was a long day. Today was the day we went to look for a new dog to join our family after having to put down our golden/lab mix Bubba. We held off a few weeks because of lots of family events, travel, etc, but now that is behind us, and I have been limping along with our small backup dog Rowdy as the sole canine in the family.

It was an OC day.

We started out early (as early as we could, anyway) at the Lehigh County Humane Society in Allentown. Actually, I had to stop and buy a license for Rowdy, as he is uhhh, undocumented. And he needed all sorts of documentation in order to interview dogs at the H.S. So the first stop of the day was at the pet store in the Trexler Mall, which isn't really a mall, just a strip of stores with aspirations to something bigger.

Once we paid the dog tax, it was off to the Humane Society. All of our pets have been rejected, strays, or other types needing a home where someone will take care of them and love them the way they need. But when we got to the H.S. there was very little that we were willing to consider. Most of the dogs were some sort of pit bull, and Mrs. Plinker was shy of taking one of them home with us. Even while we stood there, one of the locals brought in even another pit bull that no one wanted anymore.

Of the dogs that weren't pit bulls, one was overwhelmingly jumpy, and peed on the floor three times while we were seeing how he would behave with Rowdy. There were several problems with him, so we tried another. She was a little better, but again, very hyper. We already have a hyper dog. We needed something a little more laid back. I think Mrs. Plinker was angling for a blue tick hound or something like that.

I had not considered that we might not find a dog at the H.S. and so I was unprepared to go to the next place. I had no idea where the next place might be, and I did not want to drive all the way back home to do the research. But, we were close to the Woodcraft store on Lehigh Street. I am a regular there, both as a customer and an instructor. So in we walked with Rowdy and my Sig Sauer hanging on my hip. It was my first time OCing in the store. They all know I am a gun guy, but I don't think anyone noticed the gun since they were all interested in the poor little dog. I talked a bit with some customers who I also knew, and Mrs. Plinker looked up a few places that had dogs up for adoption.

Our next stop was Peaceable Kingdom on MacArthur Rd, just before you come to Whitehall. The place was full of dogs and cats, but it was the very first dog I saw that I knew was coming home with us. He was real friendly right off the bat, and was so with all the cats lounging around the place as well as the staff and myself. We took him out back on a leash and introduced him gradually to Rowdy. They didn't exactly hit it off right away, but they did a lot better than the dogs at the last place. After 15 minutes or so, they had both settled down and did the obligatory sniffing. According to the staff, he is supposed to be some sort of shepherd mix.

On the way home I stopped at the Pooch and Kitty on Sumner Ave, which is run by some friends of ours, to buy some dog supplies, and then it was home with our new family member. Our two cats were not pleased to see DJ (the new dog) and promptly disappeared beyond dog reach. Jasper, who is Mr. GQ Cat, with never a hair out of place, looked like someone left him in the dryer too long! I have never seen a cat puffed up like that! Amber just turned tail and ran.

The dogs spent the rest of the day getting to know one another. I think Rowdy is going to be a little bully, but DJ (who is going to get a better name as soon as we can think one up) can handle him if he wants to. There was lots of wagging of tails with some growling and jumping around. It all looks promising.

No one made a mention of my gun, until later on in the evening, but that is a different thread. And here for those of you who have made it all the way through, is a picture of the newest Plinker family member.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: OC Dog Search

Yay for shelter dogs!

Congrats!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lebanon County)

Congrats, looks like a good one, best wishes.

(Allegheny County)

congrats.
    he's a cutie
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Dauphin County)

looks like a sweet dog.. perhaps some border collie in there to ?
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

(Bucks County)

Thumbs up to you for taking in somebody's unwanted dog. He looks like my bosses dog who was also a pound pup.

(Mercer County)

Our dogs have always been rescue dogs, it breaks your heart to see all of wanting to have a home. Our dog we have now is 4 years , a Jack Russel or some kind of Terrier, he was sent back 2 times before. The best dog we've ever had!!!! Don't know why anyone would send him back, housebroke an everthing. Hope ya enjoy your new friend as much as we do ours.

(Indiana County)

I'm happy for you, and I'm happy for your new family member. And as cold and heartless as my wife and kids think I am (I'm not an overly emotional guy), I can't handle a visit to an animal shelter. I still get misty thinking about Laika, the world's first dog in space - she did not survive reentry.

But, I'm happy for you. You did good. You did very, very good. We need more people like you.

(Monroe County)

Atta boy, pennsy

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Carbon County)

I commend you on your decision to go rescue someones unwanted member of the family. My wife and I were going to do that until a friend had a dog who had puppies and needed to get them a good home. But good luck with DJ and best wishes with the newest addition.
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast