Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default "Blue Bloods" finally addresses gun issue, nicely

My wife and I have been watching Blue Bloods from the beginning. It's a show we like. I've always been surprised at how they'll touch on every possible controversial issue: gay marriage, religion, drug legalization, etc. but haven't seriously discussed the gun debate. Until now.

The last episode I watched (aired sometime around the new year, we DVR everything) pointed out some really important facets of the gun issue. One of the characters gets mugged and decides (on her own, without discussing with anyone) to get a gun and a permit. In New York, of course, the permit process is lengthy and expensive, something which she is able to skirt because she knows the commissioner. (Nicely points out the fallacy of "may issue" states)

In another scene, a private, licensed citizen (nurse) is attacked by a crazy guy riding by on a motorcycle. She shoots at him and misses, but he wrecks and the cops are able to get him. (Positive portrayal of guns in private hands)

In the end, the original character who went out and bought the gun decides she doesn't want it, and hands it over to her husband, properly demonstrating that it's unloaded. (Correctly shows that owning/carrying a gun is an intensely personal choice and if you don't want to have one, you don't have to)

As someone pointed out before, Tom Selleck (one of the main actors) is a gun enthusiast, so I bet he had a lot of say in how these scenes played out. It wasn't "beat you over the head" obvious, and it didn't bash anti-gun people, just nicely handled some of the thornier issues surrounding the gun debate. Bravo to them.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: "Blue Bloods" finally addresses gun issue, nicely

Calling Selleck a gun enthusiast is putting it mildly. He is on the NRA Board of Directors, so I would say he had input on the storyline.

Be safe (and help make the decisions).

Scott

(Chester County)

Love the show, but missed that episode. Interesting to see the dynamic between the Commissioner (Selleck) and the Mayor... surely not like Bratton and DeBlasio.

(Bucks County)

Love the show, not real sure of the fantasy of real people having permits in NYC.

(Berks County)

Blue Bloods is one of my favorite shows as well. I did see that episode and was quite impressed how they portrayed and handled that issue.

(Bucks County)

I thought the episode was nicely done as well.

(Chester County)

There's an episode in season 1 or 2 when Danny (a detective) is involved in a shoutout when he is out with his family. His young son is traumatized.

They do a nice job of showing Danny explaining proper gun handling and safety to his son.

(Montgomery County)

I had no idea of any of the actors political views before randomly seeing that episode, because I was hanging out with my mom and she had it on (loves the show)... and Hollyweird appeals to me about as much as a bath in lava.

I sat there in disbelief. A nationally run TV show, portraying the 2nd Amendment in a fair and balanced light? Am I dreaming? Nope, wasn't dreaming. Loved it.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    Calling Selleck a gun enthusiast is putting it mildly. He is on the NRA Board of Directors, ...
    I did not know that. Good!
    Johnnie F.

(Washington County)

Blue Bloods is produced by Bellsairo(sp) production which is a moderate to right production company. Most of their shows are fairly centrist in the politics. Some of their shows are/were Jag, Blue Bloods, early NCIS before communists Harmon took over, and a few more. I have not seen any Bellsairo production that was leftist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast