Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Can Antis Affect Your Home Life?

Last edited by jahwarrior72; June 2nd, 2010 at 11:27 AM.

Default Re: Can Antis Affect Your Home Life?

Dang that blows..sorry to hear it, and I certainly hope you can find help soon!

but it is her right to blow it out of proportion (and it sounds like she did) and choose not to work at your house.

(Wayne County)

Sorry to hear that...what a weak minded individual.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    dr. gibbons said he would contact the dept. of mental health to see if there were any policies pertaining to our situation, and if was even within the TSS rights to refuse to show up because of her hoplophobia. he admitted he himself had no idea if she could, but that we'd get a response by the middle of the week.

unbelievable.
    I hate to do it, but I must side with her. Whatever her reasons to drop you as a client, as illogical and unbased as they could possibly be, you cannot force her to show up to your house and do the work. She is a free individual, and as such, she should be able to drop you like hot potato should she choose to do so. Especially if she's got a fear of inanimate objects.

I wish you the best of luck in finding somebody who leans a little more to your points of views!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Man, you seem to be taking quite a lot of crap lately. Stick to it though, and good luck with the new TSS

(Monroe County)

So now you have to ask yourself. If that girl was really good and you were happy with her performance on the job for your daughters sake is it worth concealing your firearms.
    The teachers uncomfortableness is no different then a plumber not wanting to work in a house with Amstaffs walking around.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    So now you have to ask yourself. If that girl was really good and you were happy with her performance on the job for your daughters sake is it worth concealing your firearms.
    The teachers uncomfortableness is no different then a plumber not wanting to work in a house with Amstaffs walking around.
    I don't see your point here. She never gave him a chance to make that decision.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Monroe County)

I guess the point is most people I would assume know the education industry by nature is very liberal. Like I do with my dogs I ask "would you like my dogs kept in their crates?"

In other words when he talked to the boss he should have asked if she would be willing to return if he "put away his toys?" What she can`t see is her loss.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    yes they can!

i live with 4 children, ranging from ages 12 to 5. the oldest, a girl, has severe autism; that is, she doesn't speak (much), and has a variety of behavioral problems. she's been homeschooled for the past year, because the scranton school district will not provide the services she needs. my girlfriend filed suit against them and won. part of the agreement was that she was to receive homeschooling and TSS (therapeutic staff support) in the home for 10 hours a week, period. TSS is handled by the scranton counseling center.

reliable TSS is hard to come by, because they're just people, too. we've had some great people work with our daughter, and some not so great. since she's been home, it's been harder. our latest, we thought, was great. the woman who was sent to us seemed like she'd work out. i talked to her quite a bit, and we seemed to have a good rapport.

last week, she called us, and let us know that she'd no longer be our girl's TSS. she said that she'd been reassigned to another child, because our daughter behavioral issues weren't considered a priority (she wasn't "bad" enough). we wished her luck with her new client, and made an appointment to see dr. john gibbons, the head of the scranton counseling center, to see about getting a new TSS as quickly as possible.

imagine our surprise when he informed us that this last TSS was not transferred due to any need; she requested a transfer.

she was "scared about the guns in the house."

WTF?

dr. gibbons said she was scared, and that she wanted out of the assignment, because of all the guns "lying around the house," and that she felt "endangered" here.

it took anna about half a second to hit the roof.

"what?!? what the hell is she talking about? the only gun she ever saw is the one he carries on his hip, which he only carries when he's awake! is she crazy? the neighborhood we live in is getting worse everyday; he has them for our protection. he carries openly because it's hot, and it's easier to do. he does not leave them 'lying around'; he has other pistols, and a shotgun, all of which are locked up when he's not using them."

dr. gibbons: "he carries openly? is that a good idea? you don't want what happened in Dickson City to happen to him...."

anna: "it already happened; he was there! he was one of the guys pulled out and harrassed. he likes guns, he's very pro 2A, and that's not gonna change. i may not like guns in the house, but where we live now, it's a necessity."

dr. gibbons said he would contact the dept. of mental health to see if there were any policies pertaining to our situation, and if was even within the TSS rights to refuse to show up because of her hoplophobia. he admitted he himself had no idea if she could, but that we'd get a response by the middle of the week.

unbelievable.
    I feel ya. My 37 yo step brother has severe mental retardation, but is higher functioning. He is able to work in a supervised center. I assumed guardianship two years ago, when his dad moved to a different state. He has to have monthly home visits by two agencies. I have worn my firearm openly during all of the last 4 visits, and at the last one, one of his case workers said something. She told me that she was aware it was my home, but that if I didn't cover my firearm, they would leave. She said it was "agency policy". The fact of the matter is that she was uncomfortable with it. I told her that if it made her feel better to have a 16th of an inch of material between her and the gun, I would happily oblige her. She let out an audible sigh of relief, not getting the sarcasm, I guess. I pulled the wife beater I was wearing over it, and we conducted the meeting. I will never understand the mentality.... At least I was given the choice...

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Adams County)

I know very little about what you are going through except that I know TSS's are in shortage everywhere. My wife was a TSS until about 3 years ago when she decided not to go back to work.

I can see both sides of the situation.

My wife worked at a house with an Autistic child, that also had a dog. The dog was getting old and sometimes would be aggressive. It bit the kids in the house on a few occassions when my wife wasn't there. She reported it to her boss, who said there wasn't anything he could do since there was no real damage and the parents didn't agree that it was a problem.

I told her that if the dog bit her that I would shoot it myself. She must have told them that because they started keeping the dog locked up after that while she was there.

However the dog was a real threat, I guess if she was scared of guns, your pistol probably seemed like a real threat too.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast