Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Reengraving AR Lowers (SWPA)

Does anyone know anyone who does the welding over, smoothing out and reengraving of AR lowers (along the lines of what Orion Arms does) in the SWPA region?

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Reengraving AR Lowers (SWPA)

I asked a welder I know if he'd do this, sorry, nope.

I've never heard of anyone doing this, I think they may be your only option.

If you know of a company you can send it to that does this type of work the right way, best to spend the money and send it to them IMO. I am assuming this is an NFA receiver otherwise you could just get an unmarked lower.

Aluminum will form an oxide coating just being exposed to air. This oxide coating has to be removed before welding. You can rely on the "cleaning" action of the welder but it is best to remove the layer. The oxide layer on a hardcoat anodized aluminum part is a lot thicker than an unanodized part. The oxide layer has to be removed to get a good weld.(too thick for the welder to "clean") Throw too much heat to it and you can take out the temper in a large area. The welder has to know this stuff to do a good job. It is something I could easily do on my own personal item but a shop should really be insured for this type of work just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    If you know of a company you can send it to that does this type of work the right way, best to spend the money and send it to them IMO. I am assuming this is an NFA receiver otherwise you could just get an unmarked lower.

Aluminum will form an oxide coating just being exposed to air. This oxide coating has to be removed before welding. You can rely on the "cleaning" action of the welder but it is best to remove the layer. The oxide layer on a hardcoat anodized aluminum part is a lot thicker than an unanodized part. The oxide layer has to be removed to get a good weld.(too thick for the welder to "clean") Throw too much heat to it and you can take out the temper in a large area. The welder has to know this stuff to do a good job. It is something I could easily do on my own personal item but a shop should really be insured for this type of work just in case.
    Actually, I'm looking to convert my Colt MT6700 lower (Match Target Competition HBAR and 223 engraved) into a Property of US Govt M16A1 lower with a 556 cal line to use as a donor for a 18" Mk 12 Mod 1 project. Naturally the serial number would be untouched. The other minor engraving I would need on this lower and my NFA lower (Mk 18 Mod 0 project) could be easily achieved locally (the Crane markings on the other side of the magazine well).

(Washington County)

That's a really tall order. I've done some aluminum welding and it is really challenging. Unfortunately, I will be surprised if you find someone who agrees to do this. I definitely wouldn't try it with a lower you already paid a tax stamp on in case the job goes wrong.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeSheepDog View Post
    That's a really tall order. I've done some aluminum welding and it is really challenging. Unfortunately, I will be surprised if you find someone who agrees to do this. I definitely wouldn't try it with a lower you already paid a tax stamp on in case the job goes wrong.
    I'm only looking to get some engraving done to my NFA lower, like this:

Going to leave the other side alone, which has the Colt logo and M4 CARBINE on it (although I wouldn't mind changing it to another Property of US Govt M4A1, but apparently there is some potential legal issues to doing that to something that is already NFA registered).

The MT6700 lower I want to get redone into a Property of US Govt M16A1 lower isn't going to be NFA'd at all - it's going to become my 18" Mk12 Mod1 SPR project.

Basically, I'm looking to get everything in the above picture removed between the Colt symbol and the caliber line and replaced with Property of US Govt M16A1, and have the 223 removed and replaced with 556. I found a company that does it, but I'm not eager to send my lower to them to get done. I'd prefer to do it locally. If I can't, I may purchase a lower from Nodak Spud and have them ship it right to Orion Arms for reengraving before shipping it to my dealer for transfer.
    Last edited by Solaran_X; September 9th, 2014 at 08:56 AM.