Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default What kind of accuracy are you guys getting out of your lever guns?

I have an older 30-30 lever action, it shoots good, not amazing, but good. I can easily hit what I'm aiming at 100 yards or so but past that the accuracy is pretty poor. This is shooting Federal 170 gr (i think) factory ammo

I'm trying to decide if I should switch to the LeverRevolution rounds from Hornady but I was wondering if they are worth it... at over a buck a round they are pricey and I'm trying to decide if its worth it or if the gun is just not destined to be a longer range gun.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: What kind of accuracy are you guys getting out of your lever guns?

Last year I posted the same thing. Except We have a newer 30-30 Marlin. So they suggested the Lever evolution Ammo. What a difference. That's All I'll take when we hunt with it!!
    In God We Trust............................

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
    Last year I posted the same thing. Except We have a newer 30-30 Marlin. So they suggested the Lever evolution Ammo. What a difference. That's All I'll take when we hunt with it!!
    What kind of an improvement in Accuracy did you see? I would say a 2 - 3 inch group off a bench with my 30-30 is about average for my rifle. at 200 yards the accuracy is horrible, easily 5 - 10 inch groups.

Also, has Hornady made any effort to make the bullets available for reloading? When I asked a rep in the Cabelas Store (Vendor Day) he said they had no plans on releasing the bullets for reloading for at least a few years... which really hurts the wallet
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Jefferson County)

Most older rifles chambered in 30-30 are 1:12" rifling which is better suited for 150gr or lessor length(weight) bullets. 170gr bullets being longer need a little more twist that some of the newer rifles have - 1:10".

20grs will cause enough change in the length of the bullet to require a faster twist. Not only that, the added bullet weight compounds things by having a slower velocity - which also requires a faster twist.

I suggest you find a lighter/shorter bullet if you indeed have a 1:12" or slower twist rate.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Franklin County)

Tightened it up to a 3 inch group. I looked on hornady web page and found no listing for the bullets to reload. https://www.hornady.com/links.php
    In God We Trust............................

(Dauphin County)

Never put it on paper but my .30-30 Marlin 336 easily pops bowling pins and propane tanks at 150-200 yards.

That is with using the Federal 150 and 170 grain loads.

(Philadelphia County)

My marlin 336 from the 50s does 2-3" groups at 100 yards with the iron sights, I would think better with a rifle rest,,, The 30-30 was not meant to be a 200 yard rifle, The 30-30 is a great deer rifle for 100 yards, Want better accuracy at 200 yards, Look at a 30-06
    Peter.

(Allegheny County)

I was getting better groups with my Marlin 336 in 30-30 than my Rem 760.

1 1/2" groups with a 4 power scope on the marlin (handloads) at 100.

I changed the load on my .06 and group about the same with both rifles.

As close as 1" but usually about 1 1/2".

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    I was getting better groups with my Marlin 336 in 30-30 than my Rem 760.

1 1/2" groups with a 4 power scope on the marlin (handloads) at 100.

I changed the load on my .06 and group about the same with both rifles.

As close as 1" but usually about 1 1/2".

27hand
    Wow, thats pretty impressive. What kind of bullets are you shooting?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Wow, thats pretty impressive. What kind of bullets are you shooting?

I'm loading 34.5 gr of IMR4350 over a 170 gr Speer flat SP. I'm pretty sure the primers are CCI 200. I loaded 200 rounds about 10 years ago and will have to mix up another batch soon.

I only used the 4350 because it's what I loaded in my .06(which I down loaded from 59 gr to 57.5 gr for the tightest group) and wanted to keep it as simple as i could with the same powder and primers

I never played with this round like I did with the .06.

When i shot my first batch, I was very impressed with what I got and left it at that. I have never used my 30-30 and essentially got it for my kiddo who shot 2 buck (4 and 8 pt) in Tionesta and rarely went out again or used my 760 if I already had a deer in archery.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast