Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default WaWa East burg OC

I just wanted to relate this one after all the nonsense going on lately..

I go to WaWa across the street from ESU last night to grab a pack of smokes. I am wearing a pair of cargo shorts and a tucked in golf shirt with my .40 at 4:30 in the Serpa. As I pull in, I see the K-9 SUV parked in front. I actually got nervous, but I went in anyway. Walking in, the sandwich counter is busy, the register is free, and the K-9 officer is standing at the coffee set-up looking directly at the register. I walk in and go to the left side of the counter, but that register is closed. So I walk all the way around the counter right past the officer, who obviously sees my pistol. I greet the clerk, tell him what I need, he greets me back, gives me what I ask for, and I pay him. He tells me to have a nice night, I wish him the same, and walk out. As I am leaving, a couple of the college kids who had got their sandwiches walk by me and look at the gun as they pass. Then they walk out and continue on their way. I get back to my car and sit there, waiting for the back up I am sure the K-9 officer has called for. No one came. Either this officer is despised by his brethren, or he saw my firearm and didn't care. At all. Not enough to raise an eyebrow, or even say hello. Not enough to even pause in sipping his delicious beverage. The clerk was obviously so distraught, that he acted completely normal. This was a performance worthy of an Oscar, or a Tony at least. I am sure he was quaking inside.

I have been aggressively OC'ing since the PSP incident, and, well, this is basically the same response I get everyday, every place I go.

ETA~ In the interest of clarity, my tounge in cheek method of description employed above, was meant to show simply that no one, even a uniformed police officer, has reacted negatively since my incident with the PSP.... By aggressively, I meant aggressively forcing myself to OC everywhere.
    Last edited by headcase; June 18th, 2008 at 11:50 AM.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Default Re: WaWa East burg OC

"Aggressively OC'ing"?

There's something about that, and about your reaction to their lack of a reaction, that just doesn't add up.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    "Aggressively OC'ing"?

There's something about that, and about your reaction to their lack of a reaction, that just doesn't add up.
    Why? Please explain.

Should any aspect of aggression accompany the peaceful and lawful possession of a firearm while going about one's daily business?

I read your response and I wasn't sure if you were being tongue in cheek about the apparent lack of reaction, or if you were somewhat disappointed.

(Monroe County)

Two responses:

First, by aggressive, I mean that I have been freaked out about possible police interference since being violated by the PSP Trooper, and very deliberately continue to OC because I am scared. I did not mean to infer that I was somehow walking around with a John Wayne stagger, pointing to my firearm and glaring at people.....

Second, as has been pointed out to me repeatedly by Gnbrotz, I really do need to add sarcastic smilies to my sarcastic posts, but I sometimes think it takes away from the effect, and refrain. Yes, I was being sarcastic about the responses, but not about being nervous..

Does that reframe the context?

(Susquehanna County)

"Aggressively OC'ing"?

Not how I read it. By headcase stating he is aggressively OC'ing I take that as him saying its the only mode of carrying since his PSP encounter. He chooses not to hide it one bit. I don't take it as an act of Aggression as you are. IMHO.

DC

You OC because you are scared? Do you feel that OCing will bring about some sort of change in the general conditions of your existence whereby you will experience less fear? I'm not sure that OCing to feel less fear is a good thing if your intent is to cause a reaction on the part of others so that they might think twice about being the source of your fear. Assertive is one thing. Aggressive is quite another.

I don't mean to be cruel, but it all sounds a bit like a baseball cap plopped on a balding head, the butt south of which is plunked in the black leather bucket seat of a red, convertible sports model.

And FWIW, most of you already know about the only thing that I do OC.

(Monroe County)

You OC because you are scared? Do you feel that OCing will bring about some sort of change in the general conditions of your existence whereby you will experience less fear? I'm not sure that OCing to feel less fear is a good thing if your intent is to cause a reaction on the part of others so that they might think twice about being the source of your fear. Assertive is one thing. Aggressive is quite another.

I don't mean to be cruel, but it all sounds a bit like a baseball cap plopped on a balding head, the butt south of which is plunked in the black leather bucket seat of a red, convertible sports model.

And FWIW, most of you already know about the only thing that I do OC.
    Whoa, big fella. Back it down a notch, you are reading a whole lot of things that aren't there into this. The fear I speak of, has to do with being harrassed by law enforcement for exercising a right. Period. When I first found out OC was legal, I wanted to engage in doing it, but was worried about being arrested by an uninformed officer, or worse, being arrested because the officer just didn't like it. I started to OC precisely because I was scared to do it. I believe in confronting your fears, as often as you can, until they are no longer fears. Since the incident with the PSP, where I was actually concealing, I have been unreasonably fearful of having another police encounter. So even though I normally OC about 90% of the time, I have been OC'ing 100% of the time since the incident. Covering my weapon in public, for now, seems like it would be a victory for the cop. But that is just how I am, when I get scared, I push through it by doing what it is that scares me. That aspect of my character was a deciding factor in my- joining the army at 28, deciding to handle explosives, teaching classes, taking indepth martial arts training, jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, and so on and so forth. The source of my fear is not external, it is internal, and the only reaction I seek to cause is one within myself. I don't think I can explain it any better, but you have read me entirely wrong.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Geeze give Headcase a break, I knew exactly what he meant, and it wasn't aggressive as in grumpy belligerent or blatant attention whoring. More of a "I know it's legal and I am just going to do it, wether cops like it or not".

I also understand what he means by "fear". See I have agoriphobia, and I KNOW that if I just force myself to go out somewhere that the more I do it, the more I may not be so agoriphobic and fearful. It was a HUGE thing for me to go to the Gettysburg OC lunch, not only was I waaaay out of my travel comfort zone, but I was also doing something that some in society see as verbotten and naughty, even though it's legal to do. (I'd say the Coyote in me helps alot with "naughty" though LOL. I even continued my dog-like- ness afterwards when hanging out with Mal-Lee, I felt compelled to OC at her house since Keith wasn't there. I was feeling protective of her. Now gunperson will think I am a furry like him LOL)
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Berks County)

Is it 'agressive OC' when I carry my P11? That thing just exudes pissed off.

I know the fear of which HeadCase speaks, that little politically correct superego in the back of ones head yelling "Dont do it! Youll offend someone or they'll look at you weird!". I actually have it about OCing in my girlfriend's parents' house, even though her dad is Pro2A.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast