Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default How do you know you're ready to OC?

I have been carrying concealed for a couple months, pretty much everywhere I go. I definitely want to OC at some point, probably not all the time but when I feel it is appropriate. My concern is whether or not I am really qualified. I have only been carrying for a short time and I have only taken a basic handgun safety lesson, no retention, or tactical training. I am comfortable carrying and well aware of my surroundings at all times. I do plan to take a tactical/retention class as soon as I can. Have most of the guys who open carry taken some type of retention training? Do you feel a substantial amount of cc experience is required before one should consider oc. I hope some of the experienced OCers on here can help me make my decision. I know it's a decision I have to make myself I just want to be as informed as possible before I do.

(Berks County)

Default Re: How do you know you're ready to OC?

Ive pretty much been wondering the same thing. Maybe some of th experienced OC'ers could put together an "OC Primer" to get the rest of us started.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Jefferson County)

I can tell you how you know you're ready.... its right after you've blown out all 18 candles on your birthday cake.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Dauphin County)

practice practice practice... then get soem more training, save up a couple hundred bucks and start looking for some training in yoru area, we have a few folks on here that teach, and if they are not in yoru area perhaps they could recommend someone..

start slow where your comfortable and then just go for it, but remember about situational awareness.. always know your surroundings !
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

(Monroe County)

I will give you my opinion, and it may not mesh with everyone else's. First, I have a great deal of experience carrying a battle rifle. I have years of martial arts training. I have never taken a formal "retention" class. I have been OC'ing for approximately 8 months, steady. I have had my firearm taken from me once, by a state trooper, who had my hands locked behind my head. It took him two yanks, to get my firearm out of the retention holster.

My advice is this, if you feel you are ready, then do it. Be extra aware of who is around you in close quarters. Be extra aware of your firearm. Get a good retention holster. I use a Blackhawk Serpa level II. Practice removing and replacing your weapon, until you are comfortable with it. Get a good sturdy belt. Consciously protect your strong side with your elbow. Carry a few gun rights flyers with you, and know the law. The flyers, IMO, will not help you in a leo encounter, but will help you educate any curious people you run into. Raise your awareness level, but try not to be too paranoid. There are times I forget I am carrying, on a conscious level, but my subconscious mind is always aware.

I started to OC because I was sure I would be harassed, and it scared me, which made me need to face up to it and do it. It became easier and easier to do. It was more comfortable physically, even while it was less comfortable mentally. Eventually, the comfort levels leveled out. Most of my experiences have been uneventful. I have had more than a few curious people ask me about it. When that happens, I have always strived to be knowledgeable, courteous, and polite, even when I didn't feel like it. Even when I was sick, or dead tired, I may have been exasperated in my head, but outwardly, I was polite. You will more than likely run into the curious. You may run into the rude. Mostly, you will find that no one really notices, and if they do, they just give a sideways glance and move on. Be ready for it. Don't walk around like you are openly carrying a deadly weapon, walk around like you are not. Do not make it a focal point in your daily routine, regard it as you would any other accessory, a cell phone, a pager.. no matter how much you feel inside like you may as well be naked out in public.

If you are asking if you're ready, then you probably are. Do it, as unselfconsciously as you can, and enjoy the freedom.

YMMV, but that's is all you really need to know. It isn't rocket science, it is a right you may exercise. Good luck

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by apython View Post
    I have been carrying concealed for a couple months, pretty much everywhere I go. I definitely want to OC at some point, probably not all the time but when I feel it is appropriate.
    Good, you are the only one who can really judge what is going to work for you. It is your responsibility. Just keep in mind, what I say here is nothing more than my opinion.

My concern is whether or not I am really qualified.
    If you have to ask, it is very likely that you may want to seek more training. There is no set level of qualification for civilians, but I strongly encourage any firearm owner to get quality training as soon as possible, then assess themselves after that.

I have only been carrying for a short time and I have only taken a basic handgun safety lesson, no retention, or tactical training.
    You are on the right track. Many people do not even feel the need to take a safety lesson. I strongly encourage you to seek more training. Particularly retention training in regard to OC.

Check out this thread for an option:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/general-2...tml#post327512

I am comfortable carrying and well aware of my surroundings at all times.
    I do not know you, so I am not making a judgment, but I am always skeptical of this kind of statement. A person cannot be aware of things that they do not know they should be aware of. If you have had no training in this dimension, I recommend you look into it, as you may find that there are many more signs around you that you never thought to look for. I know that training increased my situational awareness far beyond what I once thought was enough... Now I know enough to know that I do not know enough. (if that makes any sense)

I do plan to take a tactical/retention class as soon as I can.
    Make it a priority. The training is far more valuable than ammo or more guns.

Have most of the guys who open carry taken some type of retention training?
    I sure hope so. When a weapon is concealed, it is concealed, and can be kept separate from most encounters. When a person OCs the person who is carrying does not necessarily get to make the determination of whether or not the weapon will be a factor in any given encounter. That being the case, there must be a substantially higher level of awareness and preparedness on the part of the OCer.

The biggest reason retention training is very necessary for OC is that we frequently OC alone, as individuals. When going around in a group, you have associates who can help add to situational awareness and protection/deterrence regarding a grab. As an individual, the threat level increases dramatically. Maintaining complete 360 security as an individual is exhausting and tends to make one appear rather bizarre/insane in regular social situations.

Do you feel a substantial amount of cc experience is required before one should consider oc.
    Nope. I feel all the training and such applies equally to OC and CC alike. CC and OC both have separate special considerations unique to the specific style of carry.

I hope some of the experienced OCers on here can help me make my decision. I know it's a decision I have to make myself I just want to be as informed as possible before I do.
    It is good that you ask. I am sure that there are many other folks here who have the exact same questions, but do not have the courage to ask. I hope you find all the info you need here and I wish you the best.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks guys, I know the opinions shared here will help me in my decision and I am sure they will help some others as well. More training is high on my things to do list, not only because it is important but because I think I will have a enjoy the hell out of it. I have enjoyed all the time I've spent at the range in the past six months, but I've probably gotten more enjoyment learning about guns, gun laws and gun culture. I'd love to here more opinions and I'm sure I will. Thanks again.

(Westmoreland County)

I think you need to practice what you're going to say to civilians and/or LE when confronted as much as you need to practice with your firearm.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Indiana County)

My opinion, for what it's worth - you're ready when you feel you're ready.

If you don't feel comfortable openly carrying, then don't do it.

The first few times you do it you'll probably feel like everyone in the world is staring at you, but you'll get over it. They may or may not be staring, but that's their problem, not yours.

Eventually you'll figure out most people don't even notice.

(Luzerne County)

Since your in Phila area. I recommend checking out the classes by InSights Training. They hold classes in Harrisburg.
    Schedule: http://www.insightstraining.com/us/d...tSched2008.pdf

ATSA also holds monthly study groups in Harrisburg:
    http://www.teddytactical.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast