Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Dog Attacked-wish I had my gun

So Yesterday my wife and I were walking our puppy in Lorimer park when two other dog owners and their three pit bulls are coming towards us on the trail. As they get closer our dog wants to say hi to the other dog because she is really friendly. We normally don't let her go up to other dogs unless the owner says the dog is friendly but this time the other owner lets his dog get closer too so we assume it is friendly. Well it wasn't and it wound up biting my dog on the muzzle. I instinctively reach for my pistol on my hip but I was not carrying this time. I instead begin to kick the other dog but to no avail. The other owner does nothing to stop the fight except to pull his dog back which just hurt my dog even more. Luckily the owners friend comes up and hits the dig in the face and it lets go. The whole time I was wishing I had my pistol because I had a clear shot on the other dog. I get the other owners info and file a report and today I find out that the other guy was arrested for carrying a concealed and loaded 9mm without a license. Moral of the story is to always be carrying even if you are just walking your dog in a nice suburban park.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Dog Attacked-wish I had my gun

I would have never let my pup get that close to a dog that I didn't know. If the dogs are off the leash that's a different story. If you would have shot that dog IMO that would have not been a good shoot.

I honestly don't think shooting the dog would be the best course of action and happy you didn't have the gun on you. Also IANAL but you could have possibly gotten arrested/fined since I doubt the castle doctrine would protect you since YOUR life wasn't in danger.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill990 View Post
    I honestly don't think shooting the dog would be the best course of action and happy you didn't have the gun on you. Also IANAL but you could have possibly gotten arrested/fined since I doubt the castle doctrine would protect you since YOUR life wasn't in danger.
    Castle doctrine (HB40) doesn't come into play at all. You're legally allowed to shoot a dog that's attacking your domesticated animal.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

Doesn't this justify it?
    § 459-501. Killing dogs; dogs as nuisances

(a) Legal to kill certain dogs.--Any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing or wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing other dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings, whether or not such a dog bears the license tag required by the provisions of this act. There shall be no liability on such persons in damages or otherwise for such killing.

(b) Private nuisance.--Any dog that enters any field or enclosure where domestic animals are confined, provided that the enclosure is adequate for the purpose intended, shall constitute a private nuisance, and the owner or tenant of such field, or their agent or servant, may detain such dog and turn it over to the local police authority or State dog warden or employee of the department. While so detained, the dog shall be treated in a humane manner.

(c) Licensed dogs not included.--Licensed dogs, when accompanied by their owner or handler, shall not be included under the provisions of this section unless caught in the act of pursuing, wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing any dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings.

(Chester County)

One bull terrier is difficult to handle, let alone three. Seemed like an accident waiting to happen and in a public park yet.

You definitely did the right thing filing the report... the dog's owner deserves to be fined for his irresponsible actions and reimburse you for any vet bills.

(Chester County)

What kind of puppy did you have?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Castle doctrine (HB40) doesn't come into play at all. You're legally allowed to shoot a dog that's attacking your domesticated animal.
    Easily avoidable if all dogs are leashed, if they are not on a leash and attack, well then that changes everything and shooting then becomes an option.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    What kind of puppy did you have?
    My Dog is a boxer Lab mix. I only let my dog go up to people who say theres is friendly but this time I did not have enough time. His dog came over and before I could pull her away the dog attacked

(Delaware County)

Yes it would've been a good shoot but who knows if the other owner had a gun and would've shot you.

All in all, it could've been MUCH worse

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast