Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Venango County)

Default 4th Amendment Violation?

So my friend was stopped for speeding the other day, a bullshit 33 in a 25, but anyway.....she dug her wallet out of her purse, and left her purse sitting on her lap. as she was handing her license to the officer, he saw her LTCF. He said"I see you have a carry permit, do you have a gun with you? She said yeah, I have a pistol in my purse. He said "I'll take that" and reached in the window, and grabbed her purse, yanked it out, and set it on her hood. ....then after presumably running her license and LTCF, he decided he would rummage through her purse to find her gun. she told him which pocket it was in and he removed it, unloaded it, and took it apart. anyway.....after running her gun thru the illegal database, he gave her a ticket for failure to yield to a traffic device, same fine as speeding but no points...he did here a "favor"..........Dick....
    Her husband called and talked to the Police Chief...who said he talked to the officer, and that he said he asked her to see her purse, and she agreed....

Not really looking for advice here, since it's two cops words against one female's ...no chance in hell of doing anything about it....just wanted to vent a little bit....but would this be an Illegal Search and Seizure?

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

Default Re: 4th Amendment Violation?

Sounds like it from "your description", their's is the the one the DA will go with.....

(Monroe County)

Yes Sir, you are correct. That is a violation of the 4th Amendment.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    So my friend was stopped for speeding the other day, a bullshit 33 in a 25, but anyway.....she dug her wallet out of her purse, and left her purse sitting on her lap. as she was handing her license to the officer, he saw her LTCF. He said"I see you have a carry permit, do you have a gun with you? She said yeah, I have a pistol in my purse. He said "I'll take that" and reached in the window, and grabbed her purse, yanked it out, and set it on her hood. ....then after presumably running her license and LTCF, he decided he would rummage through her purse to find her gun. she told him which pocket it was in and he removed it, unloaded it, and took it apart. anyway.....after running her gun thru the illegal database, he gave her a ticket for failure to yield to a traffic device, same fine as speeding but no points...he did here a "favor"..........Dick....
    Her husband called and talked to the Police Chief...who said he talked to the officer, and that he said he asked her to see her purse, and she agreed....

Not really looking for advice here, since it's two cops words against one female's ...no chance in hell of doing anything about it....just wanted to vent a little bit....but would this be an Illegal Search and Seizure?
    I'm thinkin' that if he did not ask for her purse, then it was an illegal seizure. If he didn't ask to search her purse, I think that was an illegal search.

If this was done to my wife, I'd call a lawyer for sure, if for nothing else to determine whether the search and seizere were indeed illegal.

Gunlawyer, you out there?
    USMV M/C

(Venango County)

For what? noone will believe her, there were 2 Cops....who will both say he asked..

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    For what? noone will believe her, there were 2 Cops....who will both say he asked..
    Good reason to carry a recorder.

(Monroe County)

In her version, that was an obvious illegal search and seizure. If it were me, I would call a lawyer and see if he/she couldn't at least make a stink. I am not sure there is a viable lawsuit there, but hell, a couple of phone calls, one maybe to the ACLU, might bear fruit. Depends on how pissed they are about it, and whether or not they are willing to see it through... just my $.02

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Venango County)

yeah, I just don;t see it going anywhere....Cops will says he asked, and she agreed...

OH! almost forgot....she has a little keltec P32....she carries with an empty chamber...i know...I know....but the cop asked her why, and she said cause of the kids, and he said well...I recommend everyone carry with a round in the chamber.....she said...but there's no safety....and he said I still recommend everyone carry with a round in the chamber....LOL

(Mifflin County)

I'd make a stink about it.
    Get it out there. IMO this is not the first time they have done this.
    There are more than likely alot more people this has been done to.
    One person it would be 2 cops against 1 person.
    A lot of people it's now 30 against 2.
    Audaces fortuna juvat

(Berks County)

Definitely a violation. Evidence of licensure does not constitute the probable cause needed to initiate a search. The only reason why the LEO may get away with this is that the driver admitted to having a weapon, at which point he can claim he took steps to "ensure his safety".
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast