Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default An OC ambassador kind of story...

I was going to post this in the OCB RESULTS thread, but I thought it might get lost in there so......

I recently signed my son up for Little League. When I go to his practices, I OC. I OC'd to the guys office to register him. I have had a couple of conversations about my firearm while at his practices, none negative. But.... there seems to be a distinct feeling from some of the parents, that maybe they don't like to see the gun. Nothing said, but there are some who glance away when you look, some just kind of act like you are not there. I believe I may have fixed that today.

At the final group practice this morning, I was standing a bit away from the others. I tend to do this whether or not I am armed, just habit. Towards the end, it starts to pour. I pull my shirt over my firearm and go stand in the shadow of the stands, out of the rain. While standing there, I get a few looks, as I am probably,"the guy with the gun". After a few minutes, a little boy comes over, stands right in front of me and stares at my face.

This little kid, who seems to be about 5 or 6 years old, just stares. He doesn't look at my weapon. He doesn't look around. He just stares at my face. After a few glances down at him, I ask him if everything is ok. He nods and, the spell being broken, goes back to his mom. A few minutes later, he walks up the stands and comes to stand next to me, kind of at head height. I am on the ground next to the stands, he is in the stands.

He tells me he has to go to a birthday party later. I say, with a very serious tone, that I hope it is indoors, because if it is not, he will probably get good and wet. He sagely nods his head and agrees with me. He tells me it would most likely be very muddy and that would not be a fun time. We debate the merits and disadvantages of being muddy, eating mud, groundhogs taking a shower, beavers being clean due to the nature of how they get in and out of their dams, huge snakes that bite off dogs tails, and whether or not groundhogs having no clothes makes them naked. He then tells me he is three. During this debate, which we both took very seriously, the other parents took notice. All of them looked on smiling. His mom looked at me sympathetically, and said she saw that I had been sucked into a conversation. I assured her that we were having a very interesting, and enlightening discussion. This went on for a good ten or fifteen minutes. When the kids were finally released, the young man bid me good day, and we collected my son. I am fairly certain that the "guy with the gun", has been replaced with "the guy who is good with kids".

I may never know, as I don't really tend to socialize all that much at these things, but I do know that people who previously paid sideways attention to me, now actually looked at me and grinned.

My point is, it is not always a flyer, or an educating gun rights conversation, that makes OC more "normal" to people. Sometimes, it is just having them actually see you engage in a normal activity, and interact with the other participants in a normal way. Like patiently engaging a small child in conversation, or eating dinner with your family.....

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Wayne County)

Default Re: An OC ambassador kind of story...

Awesome.

I love kids and their innocence....and the way you handled all that, it seems you do as well. Great job.

(Mifflin County)

Way to go Headcase.
    +1
    Audaces fortuna juvat

(Franklin County)

I've got a bike that needs some fixing. Can you come over?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Luzerne County)

Well thank goodness, I think I just found my new babysitter. OMG, I have been looking for you forever. Because see....there is this "alien game" similar to a "sims game" that Richie loves to play and he WILL TALK all day about said game. roflol So what is your going rate.

BTW, good job Headcase.

PROUD WIFE OF PA. PATRIOT
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. "-Thomas Jefferson

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Pa Patriot View Post
    Well thank goodness, I think I just found my new babysitter. OMG, I have been looking for you forever. Because see....there is this "alien game" similar to a "sims game" that Richie loves to play and he WILL TALK all day about said game. roflol So what is your going rate.

BTW, good job Headcase.
    Well, I currently sell myself for $200 a day, but for you and Rich, I am sure we can work something out

Greg, gas being what it is, you're going to have to bring it here. Besides, I am not altogether sure I am ready to expose myself to the Staties again, just yet...

Thanks guys, I just wanted to show that people OCing is not necessarily looked upon as evil by everyone...

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Well, I currently sell myself for $200 a day, but for you and Rich, I am sure we can work something out
    Ok, 200.00 and 100.00 for gas to drop them at your house? lol Hmmm..I might actually think about this.

PROUD WIFE OF PA. PATRIOT
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. "-Thomas Jefferson

Good job!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Berks County)

Great stuff. It shows todays youth are really asking the big questions (FWIW I am both pro-muddy, and in full support of beavers and their cleanliness).

And he's right, its not all about soapboxes and patriotic rights speeches to the gawking masses, while the star spangled banner plays in the background. Sometimes its just holding a door, having a pleasant conversation about the weather, or helping someone out.

(Cambria County)

That's a great story. Kids don't see "man with gun" or any other complex inducing stereotypes that we adults "need" to watch out for.

I have a three year old and anyone who might humor him, as you did this lad, is O.K. in my book.
    Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast