Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Results of Dickson City RTK request - Polling of local business firearms policies

This thread will list all info received from the Dickson City PD in response to my Right To Know request. The first packet I received today contained a cover letter from the Chief, a hand-written list of 95 businesses (most with a notation of their policy), and 18 letters or faxes from business stating their policies.

I have a few ideas for what we can actually do with this information, but the first task is making it available to everyone. I will hand-type the list here so it is searchable, and will scan and host (or find hosting for) the actual documents I've received. I'm going to keep the thread locked until I'm finished or at least very close, then we can discuss if we want to.

The list below is exactly what is written on a notepad (photocopied of course). I have noted anything that I am unsure of (spelllings, etc.) because of illegible handwriting.

During compilation I noticed that entries notes with "OK" and/or a star are those which have corresponding letters or faxes stating policy, with the exception of Spherion Staffing. It's also worth noting that several of the provided documents are copies of employee handbooks/policies, NOT an official corporate position on customers who are carrying in compliance with state law.

1. Tobacco Road, no weapons, will fax
    2. Denny's, no weapons, will fax ("OK" is noted to the left of the number 2)(To date, this is the ONLY Dickson City business where a sign has been confirmed)
    3. Pennstar Bank, will check & call me Tina ("OK" is noted to the left of the number 3)
    4. Physicians Health Alliance no weapon policy, will fax
    5. Wendy's, will fax no weapons on premises
    6. Lowe's, would ask to leave will fax
    7. Lazboy, chris, will check & fax us 1 way or the other
    8. Sleepy's will fax us, no weapons letter
    9. Pediatrics no weapons will fax
    10. Ethan Allen, no weapons will fax (There is a horizontal scribble mark to the left of the number 10)
    11. Dick's will mail it in, no weapons, allows open carry (There is a horizontal scribble mark to the left of the number 10)(Newspaper has printed a correction, stating that Dick's does not prohibit customers from carrying firearms.)
    12. Basilio's Pizza will fax no weapons
    13. Gertrude Hawk doesn't know will check & fax either way
    14. Circuit City, no weapons will fax
    15. Factory Card Outlet ? will check ("OK" and a star is noted to the left of the number 15)
    16. Days Inn, no weapons, will fax ("OK" and a star is noted to the left of the number 16)
    17. Idle Hour Lanes, no weapons, will fax
    18. Sleepy Hollow, no weapons, will fax
    19. Aqua Leisure Pools & Spa. no weapons will fax
    20. St Tropez no weapons will fax
    21. Design Home Gallery no weapons will fax
    22. Woods & Co., no weapons, will fax ("OK" is noted to the left of the number 22)
    23. AC Moore will check & fax ?
    24. TJ Maxx will check & fax ?
    25. Dollar Tree ? will check
    26. Petsmart ? will check will fax 1 way or other ("OK" and a star is noted to the left of the number 26)(Provided documentation is from the employee handbook)
    27. Border's will check & fax
    28. Firestone will check & fax
    29. Home Depot no weapons, will fax (corporate policy contradicting this found here, background info here)
    30. Pier I Imports probably no weapons, will fax
    31. Turkey Hill, no weapons, will fax
    32. First Natl Comm Bank, 954 Main St, no weapons, will fax
    33. Fast Signs, no weapons, will fax ("OK" is noted to the left of the number 33)
    34. Broadway Dreams, no weapons, will fax
    35. TCBY, ? will fax
    36. Spherion Staffing, no weapons, will fax ("OK" is noted to the left of the number 36)
    37. Cohen Orthodontics, no weapons will fax
    38. Med + Uniforms & Scrubs ? will fax
    39. Gallery of Sound ? will fax
    40. Nye Jewelers ? no weap will fax
    41. Jenny Craig, no weapons, will fax
    42. Sprint ? will fax
    43. HFC no weapons will fax
    44. Pet Palace no weapons will fax ("OK" is noted to the left of the number 44)
    45. Ruby Tuesday, most likely, no weapons, will check & fax
    46. Perkins Rest, manager will check & call me
    47. Viewmont Diner, no weapons, will fax ("OK" is noted to the left of the number 47)
    48. Burger King, will check ...(illegible)
    49. Long John Silvers no weapons, will fax ("OK" is noted to the left of the number 49)
    50. McDonald's, ravine st., no weapons, will fax (Notice that the first letter mentions only employees, but the second one is modified to include "or customers". Also, additional supporting documents are employee policy and make no mention of customers)
    51. Toys R Us, no weapons, will fax
    52. Merle Norman Cosmetics, will check & fax ("OK" is noted to the left of the number 52)
    53. Shiatsu Massage ? check with manager
    54. Viewmont Medical, no weapons, will fax
    55. JoAnn Fabrics, no weapons, will fax (contradicted by someone who asked in person, and posted the experience here)
    56. Northeast Surgery will check, will fax
    57. Allstate Ins Co., no weapons, will fax
    58. McDonald's, Bell mt, no weapons, will fax (Notice that the first letter mentions only employees, but the second one is modified to include "or customers". Also, additional supporting documents are employee policy and make no mention of customers)
    59. Petco, no weapon will fax
    60. Don Pablo's most likely no, will fax
    61. First Liberty Bank, no weapons, will fax ("OK" is noted to the left of the number 61)
    62. Chuck E Cheese, no weapons, will fax
    63. Harbor Freight, no weapons, will fax
    64. China Palace, no weapons, will fax
    65. Cartridge World will check, allows open carry (There is a horizontal scribble mark to the left of the number 65)
    66. Party City no weapons, will fax
    67. Leslie Pools no weapons, will fax
    68. Wasserott's no weapons, will fax
    69. Panera Bread, no weapons, will fax ("OK" is noted to the left of the number 69)
    70. Red Robin no weapons, will fax
    71. Walmart will check with corp & fax
    72. Famous Footwear, christen (sp?) will check, will fax
    73. Uno Pizza, Chicago Grill, no weapons, will fax, check with corporate
    74. Kohl's ? will fax
    75. Texas Roadhouse no weapons
    76. Olive Garden, allows open carry allows open carry (There is a horizontal scribble mark to the left of the number 65)
    77. Red Lobster, will check & fax
    78. Marshall's - no 'official' word yet, but there is an eyewitness account of a DCPD officer making an inquiry.
    79. Catherines Plus Sizes
    80. Payless Shoe Source
    81. Dots Fashions
    82. Dress Barn
    83. Sally Beauty Salon
    84. Olympia
    85. T-mobile, will check & fax
    86. Target
    87. Subway, will check & fax
    88. Starbucks
    89. Sleepy's
    90. Michaels
    91. A&G Outfitters
    92. K & K Nails
    93. Gamestop, will check & fax
    94. Super Suppers, no weapons will fax ("OK" is noted to the left of the number 94)
    95. Men's Wearhouse, probably not, will check & fax ("OK" is noted to the left of the number 95)(Provided documentation is from the employee handbook. Also, based on a specific customer experience, detailed in post #28 of this thread, this is not an established corporate policy that applies to customers.)
    96. blank
    97. blank
    98. blank
    99. blank
    100. blank
    Last edited by gnbrotz; June 17th, 2008 at 05:48 PM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Results of Dickson City RTK request - Polling of local business firearms policies

This post will be used to document carry experiences at businesses on the list since the Dickson City incident occurred.

OC without incident:

4. Physicians Health Alliance
    6. Lowe's
    14. Circuit City
    23. AC Moore
    25. Dollar Tree
    26. Petsmart
    27. Border's
    29. Home Depot
    47. Viewmont Diner
    49. Long John Silver's
    50. McDonald's (Ravine St.)
    51. Toys R Us
    63. Harbor Freight
    66. Party City
    71. Walmart
    86. Target
    87. Subway

Carrier personally informed of 'No Firearms' policy:

60. Don Pablo's
    Last edited by gnbrotz; June 18th, 2008 at 06:56 AM.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Results of Dickson City RTK request - Polling of local business firearms policies

Reserved for space.

(Franklin County)

All information that I have received is now in the OP. Please let me know if any links don't work, etc.

(Allegheny County)

The crazy part is that some of these items linked are EMPLOYEE handbook excerpts indicating that employees are not permitted to have handguns on company property and mention nothing to do with customers.

(Centre County)

What they are doing has got to be against the law in some way. They are giving all of law enforcement a bad name.

(Lancaster County)

Hilarious. Employee handbook excerpts? seriously... wtf is wrong with this Police department? Or should I say town.

Quote Originally Posted by jcheinaman View Post
    Hilarious. Employee handbook excerpts? seriously... wtf is wrong with this Police department? Or should I say town.
    I think ya'll are underestimating the media savvy of the chief of thugs. Remember, he has already been able to use this information, however he twisted it, in the media to show that he has overwhelming support from the businesses, and that people carrying guns are rabble rousing troublemakers that are bad for business.

Propaganda is important.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Susquehanna County)

Boy I see this coming back and biting them in the ass!

DC

Quote Originally Posted by pahandgunner View Post
    What they are doing has got to be against the law in some way. They are giving all of law enforcement a bad name.
    I don't see how it is. No offense, but that response is exactly the attitude that started this whole thing. "Men carrying guns openly??? What they are doing has got to be against the law in some way."

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast