Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Springfield Armory Mil-Spec .45 thumb safety question

I was at King's Shooter Supply today looking at a stainless steel SA Mil-spec Government Model today, and had an issue with the thumb safety. I could take it off just fine, but it was so stiff it was impossible for me to get it back on with my thumb. Had to reach over and use my other hand to get it on. Salesman couldn't get it on either.

My question is, is this a common issue with these guns? Can it be rectified simply by working it until it eases up, or would it be necessary to get an extended safety to have enough leverage?

The rest of the gun was a thing of beauty. As Government Models always have, it just sits in my hand like it was made to be there. I love the arched mainspring housing. Seems like most 1911s around today have the flat one, and I MUCH prefer the arched. I didn't see any tool marks, the sights were great, and the trigger good. The price was good, also.

I think I've finally made up my mind about my next gun, namely one of these. Cathy has decided on a full sized M&P 9 to go with her compact one, and I was tossing about the advantages of common caliber, common magazines, common spare parts, etc. But I've always wanted a good Government Model, so it's finally time. But I am worried about that safety.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

Default Re: Springfield Armory Mil-Spec .45 thumb safety question

anything can be smoothed and changed out on mil-specs. But why get a gun thats NIB that you already see an issue with? I'd ask for them to order in another.

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    anything can be smoothed and changed out on mil-specs. But why get a gun thats NIB that you already see an issue with? I'd ask for them to order in another.
    My POV exactly. I'm kinda wondering if they are ALL like that when new, though. If so, then I'll have to decide if I want the Springfield, or maybe shop around for a Colt or some other brand. If not, then I don't want this particular gun, I don't think.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    My POV exactly. I'm kinda wondering if they are ALL like that when new, though. If so, then I'll have to decide if I want the Springfield, or maybe shop around for a Colt or some other brand. If not, then I don't want this particular gun, I don't think.
    No, they shouldn't be that stiff, I've had somewhere from 15-20 1911s and only one was that stiff out of the box and that was a POS Llama.

If it doesn't work right out of the box, you don't want nothing to do with it, ask for another if your going to buy from Roger, he should be pretty willing to accomodate you.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Monroe County)

Did you rack the slide or manually cock the hammer. I`ve never seen one that hard. The thumb safety only functions when the hammer is cocked.
    IE:cocked and locked

(Monroe County)

Is this a stock pistol or tricked out? What model #

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Did you rack the slide or manually cock the hammer. I`ve never seen one that hard. The thumb safety only functions when the hammer is cocked.
    IE:cocked and locked
    Yeah, the hammer was cocked. I could get it on by reaching over with my other hand and flipping it up, or by grabbing hold with the fingers of my right hand and flipping it up, but neither I nor the salesman could get it on by hitting it with the tops of our thumbs.

Joe, I own a Mil-spec and have never had an issue with operating the thumb safety. Always smooth, one handed operation, never a need to reach for it with my left hand. Although I would not recommend buying that particular one based on the trouble you had with it, I would however not hesitate to buy another.
    Is it possible someone had disassembled it? Did it remain 'safe' while engaged? Were you trying to operate it with the hammer cocked? (safety will not operate when the hammer is down). I know, there all dumb questions but it just doesn't sound like a springer. Springfield has an outstanding reputation for standing behind their product. Their after the sale service is hard to beat.

Jack

(Monroe County)

I`ve owned a couple SA 1911`s and never had a problem. I sold an old GI to buy my MilSpec Loaded. I think all the Loaded pistols have flat MSH. I like flat and I also prefer the beavertail grip safety because I shoot with the web of my hand really high and hammer bite with a standard grip safety.....well it bites.
    SA has incredible customer service.