Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Force Feeding the Sheeple

I recently noted this in another gentleman's signature line:
    I daily open carry my sidearm to help promote a positive image onto the public of gun owners, to help bring awareness to personal protection, and to make small steps towards keeping our 2nd Amendment rights safe, both yours, and mine. Care to join me?
    Not really, but thanks. While I see our second ammendment right to KABA as essential, the only right I hold in higher regard is my right to life. As an armed citizen, the only advantage I have in FoF situations is concealment. If I happen to be the unlucky sod in a bank robbery, my billigerent declaration of my right to OC will get me shot first. As an aside, I hope you weren't one of the guys who got arrested in that restaurant a week a go.

It would seem to me that those exercising their right to OC, do so partly in a desire to desensitize the sheeple to seeing guns in public. Unfortunately, this has the opposite effect. Rather than alaying fear, it increases it. For these sheeple, guns scare them and more guns scare them more. This was evidenced in that restaurant when management had received so many complaints that LE was summoned and people went to jail. For me, I cannot see how this places the expression of our rights in a more positive light. JMHO

It is my belief that we as gun owners are better serving the constitution by carrying concealed in a voting booth and when writing checks to candidates and organizations, which support our rights in the highest, most narrowly defined ways; meaning absolutely and without infringement. Again, JMHO

I don't mean to start a rock throwing festival, but I'd be interested to read what others have to say on the idea of regular OC as political strategy. I know it's a right and I would stand in harms way all day long in defence of your right, but I have practical reservations about exercising it. I am inclined to think that we may be best served in educating the sheeple, rather than force feeding them visuals like OC guns and words like "Mafia." And, finally, JMHO.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun." -St. John of Liverpool

1911 Curmudgeon

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Force Feeding the Sheeple

As someone who OC's regularly I disagree that OC causes fear.

I see no such reaction.

The incident in Dickson City was caused by gun haters, that had a personal problem w/folks peacefully eating dinner while openly armed.

As for strategy, IMO, hiding our guns never gained us anything.

(Luzerne County)

PS: The term "OC Mafia" was coined by an OC detractor, from this board as a derogatory swing at members that defend OC. You will now see the term used from time to time, on the board, as it has become a bit of an inside joke. It is not something used in regard to the general public.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Average Baer View Post

This was evidenced in that restaurant when management had received so many complaints that LE was summoned and people went to jail.
    I'd like to point out that none of us went to jail...we did nothing wrong, there was no jail involved.

It's kind of sad when a member of this board can't seem to get that straight...and I'm not picking on you....just making an observation.

(Monroe County)

I disagree with the OP on many levels. First and most important for you to realize, is that the management did not receive so many complaints that they called the police. A few patrons called because they didn't think it was right to carry firearms openly where there were children. The police and 911 operators, instead of telling them that there was nothing illegal about it, descended on the restaurant, and the illegality fest began. Management actually told the police that there was no trouble there until the police showed up.

I OC regularly. I have never had a fearful response to my doing so. I have had plenty of curious responses, but none that indicated fear. That includes people who actually approached me, and the visible reactions around me. No one running away, or herding their kids out of the line of fire. No one trying to push themselves as far into a corner as they could, as I walked by.

I also disagree with your assessment of the tactical dangers OCing exposes you to. I have witnessed potentially bad situations dissipate at the sight of my firearm, at least twice. I can not say how many, if any, situations were avoided that I was unaware of. I can say that the chances of you being targeted, in order to clear the way for some other criminal activity, is in my opinion, rubbish. If a criminal, or group of criminals, is professional enough to pick targets to clear the way for other planned activity, they are professional enough to wait until you conduct your business and leave. You are not a stationary obstacle, like a security guard, you will be moving along. Criminals who are not as sophisticated in their planning and execution of their criminal enterprises, will either pick a new place to avoid you, or bust into a place unaware that you are armed. In the latter example, I would much rather have unfettered access to my defensive weapon, then have to fumble past my cover garment while we both realize there is going to be a gunfight.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

You obviously did not take the time to read up on the Dickson City incident, or the OC experiences of the members of this board.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

(Westmoreland County)

Lots of good reasons to OC and CC. Both are a right and should be excercised at the discretion of the citizen. I rarely OC, but when I do, I seem to get more of a negative reaction from fellow gun-owners than sheeple.

If for political reasons, tactical reasons, patriotic reasons, or just to "look tough". It makes no difference to me. It is your (and my) right to do so.

One thing is for sure: the VAST majority of people think that it is illegal to OC. Education is certainly necessary.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Average Baer View Post
    ... As an armed citizen, the only advantage I have in FoF situations is concealment. If I happen to be the unlucky sod in a bank robbery, my billigerent declaration of my right to OC will get me shot first. As an aside, I hope you weren't one of the guys who got arrested in that restaurant a week a go.
    I'll pick this apart too.

I notice you do not once mention the word "deterrence" in your post..

Having many hours of FoF training I disagree that concealment is your only advantage. I have found out through training that it can be a huge disadvantage.

Additionally, the "OC=shot first" statement is severely exaggerated. How many criminal incidents are the criminals willing to take the risk of being killed by a visibly armed person when they could much more easily wait until they are gone or find another target?...
    IMO, the likelyhood of OC deterring an attack far exceeds the minute possibility of it expediting one.

(Berks County)

Wow, someone actually read my sigline. Neat.

I fully respect your stance on OC v. CC, its your own personal choice on how you wish to protect yourself. The tactical supremacy of OC/CC has been armchair ninja'd to death anyway. To each their own.

As far as having a positive or negative impact on society, Id like to argue the point Ive had far more positive experiences while OCing as opposed to negative. This is understanding, of course, that Im a whore for educating the public. I enjoy stopping what Im doing to have a conversation with someone about their feelings on my carrying a weapon. Doing this is not for everybody. OCing will generally bring attention to yourself, and one has to be prepared to receive and positivley direct that attention.

I'd rather provide people with as much exposure and information to something as I can, rather than leaving them in the dark, or worse, be led by the negative stereotypes of guns from places like the media/movies/politicians. From there, they can draw their own personal conclusions and feelings, whatever they may be.

What happened in Dickson was ultimatley borne from people not knowing the facts, not neccisarily their opinions on those facts. Whoever summoned law enforcement did so because they beleived laws were being broken and they were at risk. If they were aware of the laws, I beleive that evening would have gone much differently.

And as for my OC Mafia image, I hope folks here will take it for what it is, a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor. For what its worth, the latin is "we who dare to defend our rights", thought it was fitting.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by BearTitan View Post
    I rarely OC, but when I do, I seem to get more of a negative reaction from fellow gun-owners than sheeple...
    Aye, gun boards are brutal, the public is generally non-interested.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast