Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Kayaks and personal canoes

Anyone here into kayaking and canoing?

I'm saving up my pop-can money for a sit-on-top fishing kayak to use this summer. I've seen a couple half decent setups for about $400-450 with pole holders, also having other options too.

Has any of you all tried fly or cast fishing from one ever? On say, a slow river like the Clarion around Hallton down to about Cook Forest? Or using one on smaller creeks?

A fullsized 14-17' canoe is too much to manage or haul around. But the fishing kayak looks to be a little more managable.

I do have slow to moderate water kayaking experience, including open water(Tampa Bay).. ....but I've never fished from one.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Kayaks and personal canoes

I have two SOT kayaks, Fishing from them takes some getting used to especialy fly fishing. My advice would be to look at a kayak that isnt set-up for fishing but has alot of dry well storage and add your own rod holders also add a small anchor. do a google search for fishing kayak. When I was looking for mine I found a great site all about converting a standard to a fisher with alot of great tips like how to attach the anchor so you can face any direction while anchored. Some guys go all out with fidsh finders etc..
    "But, when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security." Dec of Ind.

(Beaver County)

I use a sit on top for fishing. I've killed the stripers and bluefish at Cape Cod, on the past couple of vacations. It does take some getting used to, and I haven't tried fly fishing, yet, but I will, this summer. I mostly use spinning gear, and small boxes on a belt for my tackle. If I'm keeping fish, I tie a 5 gallon bucket on the back, so it's easy to just throw them in, or, for bigger fish, like those stripers, I open the front compartment and toss them in there. They're harder to get out, but not too difficult. Just make sure you get'em all!

I have a fish finder mounted, and it's very helpful. I use a small 12-volt gel cell battery to power it, and it lasts all day, and then some. I will say that my kayak does not track well, and requires constant attention when paddling to keep it on track. I forget the make and model (Pelican?), but it was about in your price range. My wife has a regular kayak (Old Town Dirigo?), and it tracks much better, and you're really not that much lower on the water. I throw the kayak in the back of the pickup, and take it with me on any trip near water. I have an anchor that I just toss over the side and tie off on a cleat to keep me facing where I want to cast, and it works pretty well, for me. It's not easy getting in and out, and I do get wet, but I dress for the conditions, and expect to change before getting back in the truck.

For solo fishing, it's the best money I've spent on a boat.
    Last edited by kevindsingleton; May 28th, 2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Typo

(Allegheny County)

I'll let my brother post about the glass boats, I don't know what they are.

Personally, I have an old "playboat" made by a company called "New Wave". Exact model is the attitude. Have yet to see another one around and the company is now out of business. It's long for a "playboat" (10 1/2 feet) and isn't the easiest to handle on flatwater but it's a beast in the rapids especially for someone who could care less about cartwheels and just wants to power through.

(York County)

Cool thread. I have been wanting to buy a tandem to take my wife and two small singles for my kids. I live pretty close to Pinchot, does anyone know if they allow you to rent them up there to try out?

(Cumberland County)

I am not sure if they rent Kayaks at Pinchot or not, there is a company called stark moon in Delta I believe, I think they do demo days sometimes. I got my boats from a guy that sells them on ebay. He lives in McAllisterville and started selling them to put his daughter through college and now he is selling them like crazy. He may even bring some boats down for you to try. Personally, I prefer 2 singles to a tandem, 1) its generally easier to paddle a single than a tandem (less cooperation=more relaxation) 2) they are easier to transport 3) Most tandems (not all) aren't paddleable by 1 person, therefore, if you want to take the kids some day while the wife is doing something else, you're out of luck if you have 2 singles and a tandem. A side note, I prefer sit-ins to sit-on-tops, especially the boats that have larger cockpits, I think they are more stable since you sit lower in the water

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I have an old fiberglass boat and it's the lightest thing you'll ever have to carry. Tracks very nice in the water, and is surprisingly durable for as thin as the glass is. I am worried about hitting rocks in rapids as I don't want to sink. Me and my bro took a 2 day trip in our kayaks, and he has done a few week trips to canada.

Most of my fishing has been in a lake, and it's all about comfort level. I've slept in my kayak in the middle of a LARGE lake, and it's ALL about balance and comfort level. After you spend a few hours in your boat you'll have the hang of it.

I'd say get one of the boats designed for fishing, tooling around over a deticated playboat or touring boat. Most of the fishing boats sit low and are really stable compared to the boats me and my Bro have.

(Westmoreland County)

I got an inexpensive recreational Kayak at Dicks Sporting goods. (around $300) Anyways, I purchased off of eBay two rod holders and cut holes bolted and sealed them down to the back near the seat. Works well for fishing & keeps rods out of the way when paddling. Casting is not an issue , however not sure fly fishing would be very comfortable for a long period of time? I found a skirt that fits over the seat opening - this helps keep water/ sun out of the kayak. Keeps lower body cooler when sun is beating down on the water in the summer. I was thinking of a sit on top ,but really like my set up not just for fishing. It great for just throwing in the water for a couple hours keeping in shape with the paddling. A cheap anchor for Kayak - tie thin nylon rope to one of those 3 to 5lb. rubber hand weight. The kind woman use to do aerobics with - depending on how fast the current is works great....

just my 2cents - hope it helps.

NRA

American Infidel

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig... You dig.
    Clint Eastwood - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly.

(Perry County)

I kayak alot and fish from my Wilderness system Tarpon 100. It is a great sitontop for someone getting into the sport but i would recommend the Tarpon 120 for peeps with more time on the water. The only reason i havent upgraded yet is the $700 price tag of the 120.

I'm going to try my hand at bay fishing when I go to Assateague this summer, should be a good time.
    "I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick some ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum." - Rowdy Roddy Piper

(Jefferson County)

After looking long and hard. Online and stores - I've decided to get this model at the following link.

Future Beach Angler 160 DLX
    http://www.dunhamssports.com/product...entPage=family

It already comes equipped with the pole holders and is designed to accept add-on stuffs later. Which I'll be rigging an anchor trolley and steerable rudder right soon. The Dunhams sporting goods store in DuBois has a couple in stock at the same price as online .

It's weight capacity is a bit higher(450lb) than most others(225-350lb) - which will help for making a weekend out of a fishing trip. With me being 195-200lbs, plus pistol, rods, gear, camping stuffs, food/water, safety gear, etc - the additional capacity would be nice. I have a friend that owns some land about halfway from Hallton to Cook Forest along the Clarion and he'd let me pitch camp.

I just gotta get out to my uncles shop sometime soon and weld up a rack for my shortbed truck now.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast