Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Well Sunset Hill Can Kiss My Lilly White Arse!

Just got home from Sunset Hill and I have NEVER been madder in my life, to the point they may never see another dime of my money!

My son is home from college this week and he had never fired any of our AKs or the 44mag, plus he wanted some more range time with his 9mm so we decided today would be best (to avoid the idiot tourists) and drove over to Sunset Hill.

First off the place was mobbed, all NY and NJ plates of course but they were almost all down on the 'fire any weapon' side so we said what the heck. Since there were three of us and 7 weapons we got two bays.

Within seconds of us starting to unpack an older member of their staff came up and started bitching at me and my wife, first it was "I want you to jamb a piece of spent brass in those AKs so I know they are unloaded", then it was "If you are going to smoke I want you off the firing line (I was loading mags, not shooting)" then he started something with my wife I didn't even hear.

I went through two mags in one AK when he comes over to me and says "I want two full breaths between your shots on that thing" ... I had only done four double taps through 60 rounds while someone further down the line was doing triple taps.

That's only the half of it, he hovered over us like a parent over kids, scrutinizing every damn thing we did and bitching about 50% of it. Then the shell ejector on my 44 broke and all of a sudden he is my best buddy, "I used to own a shop, call Ruger they will send you a new one for free" ... then when my son mentioned how hot the AKs were he starts in with "I was a heavy gunner in Vietnam, now those get hot" .... at this point I was about two seconds from telling this jerk where he could go but I shut my mouth (for once) and played nicey nice all the while my blood was boiling!

Then as we are about to leave he tells my wife and I to pull our t-shirts over our sidearms "They HAVE to be concealed" ....

We have been to Sunset Hill many many times (usually during the week) and have never had anything but respect for their staff, they have always been curtius and helpful but this miserable old cuss has me debating if I will ever go back there again! It almost seemed like he had a bug up his ass for us the minute we walked in, I don't know, maybe he doesn't like the fact my hair is a bit longer than he likes but this guy is one jerk off.

And if you are reading this sir I think you ought to try a little respect for people that are members and know how to handle weapons ... your actions today were WAY over the top!

On a happy note to the short gentleman that allowed myself and my son to fire his Russian M44 ...... THANK YOU, very cool weapon!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Well Sunset Hill Can Kiss My Lilly White Arse!

Well you certainly were more polite than I think I would have been. Would have told the guy he is a jackass, packed my stuff and left. And then when he told me to cover the weapon I would have told the asshole to go read the dammed UFA and stick his opinion up his ass. I hate power tripping asses like this.

(Pike County)

Thumbs up Re: Well Sunset Hill Can Kiss My Lilly White Arse!

.......daamn.and I was thinking to go there,Im sure it wasn't a nice day of shooting,you always find jerks anywhere you go,that old guy sure was a pain in the ass,that I don't like,is supposed to be a good range,not as****les trying to mess up your day..................................... and you are paying for use those premises!!! some people don't realize when they themselves bury their own places of work bothering good customers,now they have one less,and counting me two,the countdown has begun.....................
    "one loves to possess arms, tho they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson in a letter to George Washington 6/19/1796glockguy68...shoot safe...NRA member...US infidel...

(Monroe County)

That sucks Dc, I go to sunset hill from time to time and I haven't had to much trouble. I was told when I left to not chamber a round in my pistol as I was packing up. Seemed odd to me, to me its much safer to chamber a round with the pistol pointing down range than to do it after I got in my car.. So I did it any way when he wasn't looking. I was tolded to keep it concealed as well. I don't go there that often anymore because I like to shoot farther than 30yrds with my rifles.

One thing I will say... NEVER go to sunset during a holiday or a weekend.... Full of NY and NJ people and it sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    That sucks Dc, I go to sunset hill from time to time and I haven't had to much trouble. I was told when I left to not chamber a round in my pistol as I was packing up. Seemed odd to me, to me its much safer to chamber a round with the pistol pointing down range than to do it after I got in my car.. So I did it any way when he wasn't looking. I was tolded to keep it concealed as well. I don't go there that often anymore because I like to shoot farther than 30yrds with my rifles.

One thing I will say... NEVER go to sunset during a holiday or a weekend.... Full of NY and NJ people and it sucks!
    Yeah IF we ever go back it will NOT be on a weekend, the only reason we went today is because my son heads back to school tomorrow ... NEVER AGAIN

The wife and I have been there many times during the week and the people there have always been wonderful but these 'weekend warriors' are the PITS.

I seriously need to find some private land or a better range up here ... don't want to go to the game lands because of the round limit but I will be damned if I go back to Sunset unless there is no other choice.

(Monroe County)

I'm curious if you guys stopped in the office and said anything about it? I would have, although I'm not sure how much good it would have done. I haven't been there for over ten years because of a similar instance, and I will not return.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Monroe County)

No we didn't say anything, maybe we should have and they would've be forewarned of loosing a customer over it.

(Monroe County)

2 of my friends and I just got memberships down there this weekend for less than 30 dollars. from now on its 10 dollars for all day long, and 5 dollars to rent a pully bay. I just can't see anywhere else in the area beating that price.
    We had a pleasant experience and the instructor who "certified" us was a cool guy. It's both equal distance to sunset hill and ppc from my house, so i just can't justify paying 20 an hour at ppc. We'll see though. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, maybe you should cool off and give it another try. I know the place was SWAMPED this weekend and if we didnt have our own guns we would have been waiting in line for hours. I think the staff was at the end of their rope with all the tourists.

(Monroe County)

I used to go there many years ago with my father. We were both NRA certified pistol instructors and when they started that certification process. He went alone and they required him to take the course so I never returned back and he eventually stopped too.

Now he's a member of Blue Ridge Cherry Valley and we are both in Palmerton Rod and Gun Club. It was enough to pay a premium to shoot there, paying a training fee to me is unacceptable.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    I'm curious if you guys stopped in the office and said anything about it? I would have, although I'm not sure how much good it would have done. I haven't been there for over ten years because of a similar instance, and I will not return.
    I think that is a great idea. How will the employer know his employee is a skunk unless enough people complain about him?