Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default 1911 detail strip?

So . . . . I'd like to learn to detail strip my 1911s to give them a good deep cleaning every now and then. But. . I've only ever field stripped them. How hard is a detail strip/reassembly? I'm scared I'll either break something, lose parts, or not be able to get it back together and have to take it to a gunsmith and look like a moron!

How do I go about learning how to do it?

Thanks
    Dave

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: 1911 detail strip?

First and foremost... always make sure you drop the magazine and unload the firearm, second piece of advice I'll give is wear safety glasses. Those springs can fly pretty fast and pretty far. I learned from youtube videos. Not hard at all. It is a lil nerving at first, but once you do it, you think "that wasn't that bad". At least I did anyway.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Lawrence County)

Good advise above....

http://www.m1911.org/stripin1.htm

The series 80 parts can be a pain to get in order sometimes. I use a dab of grease to get them to stick in place when I feel like I need 3 hands....then I hose it out with lighter fluid once the pins are in.

Lycanwatchthevideostoothrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Good advise above....

http://www.m1911.org/stripin1.htm

The series 80 parts can be a pain to get in order sometimes. I use a dab of grease to get them to stick in place when I feel like I need 3 hands....then I hose it out with lighter fluid once the pins are in.

Lycanwatchthevideostoothrope

Just a dumb question, why in the world would anyone buy a series 80 Colt when their are tons of 70 Series M1911s on the market??????

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    Just a dumb question, why in the world would anyone buy a series 80 Colt when their are tons of 70 Series M1911s on the market??????

oracle
    Why do you drive on the parkway and park in the driveway?

Lycanpeoplethink1911'sareunsafethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Luzerne County)

Some folk believe in benefit of the FP safety.
    70's also bring typically higher price in comparable condition.

(Lycoming County)

With todays aerosol cleaners and lubricants I can't see wanting to take any handgun down completely especially if you are not comfortable doing so unless there is something wrong with it. If something is wrong with it you'll most likely send it back to the factory or take it to a Smith.

oracle
    As Lycan pointed out, the pre series 80 guns are fetching a higher price, and if you get one of the new series 70 repro guns, you've now got a totally bone stock 1911, no beavertail, no good sights.

Not to mention that while there are lots of series 70 guns out there, they still aren't that easy to find, lately anything pre series 80 and earlier have been drying up at shops and shows. Short of people dying, they just aren't showing up as much, and when they do, they're still almost the cost of a new 1911.

Most of your current manufacturers, use the Colt style firing pin stop, Para, Smith, Sig, Taurus, Auto-Ordnance, etc. etc.

That type of FPS is easy enough to remove, unlike the Swartz style FPS which reguires removal of the rear sight.

If you want a new 1911 without the FPS from the factory, you're pretty much left with STI, Springfield, the Kimber Warrior models and SIS models and your semi-customs like Browns, Wilsons, Baers and Nighthawks.

Even pre series II Kimbers are getting harder to find, everyone that has one is keeping them due to the rising "street value" of the pre series II guns.

**Edited to add:
    I've seen too many older Colts that have been bubbasmithed to being darn near worthless.
    Last edited by jdlv4_0; May 3rd, 2008 at 02:43 PM.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Lycoming County)

The man asked about detail stripping, not about which model is worth more or less or which one is better than the other.

(Susquehanna County)

Before you start detail stripping your pistol, do yourself a really solid favor and buy a copy of either Dept of the Army TM 9-1005-211-12 the Operator and Organizatioal Maintaenance Manual for the Pistol Cal. .45 M1911A1 dated Sept 1968 or Army Field Manual FM 23-35 Pistols and Revolvers. Both have a great series of photos showing how to detail strip and reassemble the 1911 pistol (just remember though that Series 80 and certain others have additional parts for the firing pin block). Check out the books section at some of the gun shows.

But for what it's worth, if you use a soak tank for cleaning your piece, you'll probably never need to detail strip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast