Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Buying My First Weapon

Well I finally got my act 235 card to and i was looking to buy my first weapon. Do anybody have any suggestes?
    "God have bless with the power to use a fireman and trust me I will use it."

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Buying My First Weapon

One that fits you. You looking for a wheel gun or a slider? In a wheel gun nothing beats a .357. In a slider I look to the .45ACP. I might add that in some companies your required to carry what they issue. Find one that passes your fondle test.

Quote Originally Posted by godsgift215 View Post
    Well I finally got my act 235 card to and i was looking to buy my first weapon. Do anybody have any suggestes?

(Luzerne County)

I just bought my first firearm a couple of months ago.

I found this link short and sweet.
    http://www.chaosreigns.com/guns/bestgun.html

IMO, a simple .357 revolver should be the initial purchase, and then branch out from there. I ended up with a stainless steel 7-shot Taurus .357 for ~350$. I can practice with cheaper .38 ammo, and use .357's for actual defense purposes (and practice, to a lesser extent).

Then I got a Beretta 92FS, which I REALLY like.

(Pike County)

Howdy, and welcome to the forum. I'll second rwilson's choices, .357 for wheelgun and .45acp for autos. Try to hit a range that rents handguns and try out a few, see what fits. When I carried for work in NJ I started with a S&W 66 .357 and then when to a S&W 645 .45acp auto.

(Monroe County)

To reinforce what other have said. You need to find what works for you. Find a range that rents firearms and spend a day. If you have some friends with them try a few out.

A mistake a lot of people make is reading a glowing review of a gun on the internet and getting it not thinking if its the right gun for you.

Grip, your ability to work the action, the trigger weight, and how well you handle recoil are all things to think about.

(Monroe County)

That Beretta 92 is a fine gun. I really did not want to like one (45acp fan) but the gun is too accurate not to like.
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGuy View Post
    I just bought my first firearm a couple of months ago.

I found this link short and sweet.
    http://www.chaosreigns.com/guns/bestgun.html

IMO, a simple .357 revolver should be the initial purchase, and then branch out from there. I ended up with a stainless steel 7-shot Taurus .357 for ~350$. I can practice with cheaper .38 ammo, and use .357's for actual defense purposes (and practice, to a lesser extent).

Then I got a Beretta 92FS, which I REALLY like.

(Chester County)

First welcome to the forum, second Go GLOCK!!!!!! third please don't call it a weapon, weapon implies to the very best of my knowledge an edge blade of some type. Glocks are great first guns, and third guns, and 157th guns. They are accurate, and one of the very most reliable guns on the market. Finally they are a super simple gun to break down and clean. Check out he SF "short frame" editions. But what ever you do don't rush the descion fondle all different types and makes and calibers. If possible find a range that lets you rent guns and shoot all sorts of different types.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by thelemite View Post
    That Beretta 92 is a fine gun. I really did not want to like one (45acp fan) but the gun is too accurate not to like.
    If all else fails and you run out of ammo you can beat them to death with the gun lol. Jk never been a Beretta fan either even going back to shooting them in the service but to each his own. They are generally larger guns especially the 92 series but they are damn accurate and are pretty reliable to.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Monroe County)

If you're interested in a Glock, then check out one of the Springfield Armory XD series guns. They look better on the eye and function the same if not better(i tend to think better, people would argue either way depending on which one they like.). the XD series made its debut in 2004 and has rivaled Glock from the get go. Fast forward to 4 years later, 2008, the XD is outselling the Glock nation wide. I'm picking one up in a few weeks once i have the money together, you should check into it yourself. They also have a 1911 style grip, which seems to be the more popular grip style people look for in a gun, and the XD series is the only polymer pistol that offers this convenience.

(Allegheny County)

If your are a novice shooter, I would recommend a full or mid size 9mm to start with.

As previously mentioned, the Beretta 92 is a fine first gun. It is reasonably priced, accurate, reliable, and easy on the shooter. I love my 1911, but a new shooter may not like the recoil. Likewise a .357 magnum revolver (muahh Colt Python) is entertaining, but a little heavy in weight and recoil if you are not used to it. I shoot my friend's 92 when I want a nice vacation.

I would recommend:

Beretta 92
    XD 9
    Glock 19
    S&W M&P 9mm
    Baby Eagle
    Stay frosty....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast