Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: shotgun storage

Default shotgun storage

Hi,

I'm purchasing a home defense shotgun and first and foremost I am thinking about safety. I have two children in house 12 and 14 years old. Their bedroom and hangout area is on second floor. I'd like to store the shotgun in my bedroom but it is on first floor. Seeking advice:

I was thinking of keeping shotgun loaded, empty chamber, safety on. Locked with the mossberg loc-box and concealed in a hidden compartment in my closet. Should I store this shotgun muzzle up or down (and is there an issue storing it either way with the loc-box). I'm feeling a little uncomfortable .....even though the chamber is unloaded... having it pointed up since my kids are upstairs.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: shotgun storage

I'd go muzzle down, it will also keep any foreign material from getting in the barrel. If you have the gun in a lock box, chamber empty, I don't think there will be any safety issues to address.

Hopefully you have all ready instructed your children on safe gun handling, if not you better start.

If you combine the security practices your considering with children that know better than to mess with your gun, you should have no issues.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Luzerne County)

I once saw a pivture of the house shotgun mounted above the bedroom door.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    I once saw a picture of the house shotgun mounted above the bedroom door.
    I don't think that would be a good idea in this scenario, with the OP's kids being 12 and 14, the height of the mount will offer no advantage and be more trouble to unlock in a hurry.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    I don't think that would be a good idea in this scenario, with the OP's kids being 12 and 14, the height of the mount will offer no advantage and be more trouble to unlock in a hurry.
    must have missed the age.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Luzerne County)

Have to agree with some of the remarks here.. dont think its a good idea with kids around. However, if there is some place you could keep it HIGH out of their reach and somehow be able to lock the mechanism up somehow it MIGHT work. Also, if you are going to store it do NOT store it muzzle down.... store muzzle up, and if you are worried about keeping debris out you can always put a little plastic wrap over the muzzle and hold in place with a rubber band. It is not enough restriction to cause any problems and has been used for years by hunters out in the field to keep out debris and rain etc.

Just think of yourself being a inquisitive kid and make sure the weapons are safely out of their reach.

Or better yet buy a good lockable gun cabinet. Key hidden where only you know where it is.....

Good luck

(Delaware County)

Question Re: shotgun storage

I got used to keeping my 12-guage stored with the chamber clear but rounds in the tube, i.e., ready to be racked and rolled in a flash, but one of my daughters has temporarily (prayer here) rebounded to the house with a four-year-old in toe.

In an abundance of caution, I unloaded the shotgun and put a cable lock on it. Now, it's just a fancy club hidden away in my bedroom. I do have my Glock 19 in a secure safe next to the bed, but I kind of like that shotgun for home defense.

I'd like to find a nice, reasonably-priced shotgun safe, one I can keep near me and open quickly (preferably with a code instead of a key). Any suggestions? I'm currently looking at this model: http://www.amazon.com/V-Line-Quick-A...pr_product_top but I'd like something a little less pricy.

On a side note, since I'm no longer "home alone" I'm weary of mistaking intruders for my daughter or grandson, especially my daughter, since she may come home late on weekends, etc. Before, I could easily grab my shotgun and investigate any bumps in the night, especially the sound of someone at my door. Now, to be prudent, I leave the weapon behind to avoid a tragic mistake in the night. How do others deal with the presence of household members, and in particular, late night comings and goings?

(Bucks County)

^^ I don't see why you have to leave the weapon behind, in a defensive situation you still need to correctly ID your target and take in account forground and background no matter what...

Unless you're trigger happy no need to leave it behind just because it migt be your kid coming home at night, because what if one night its not..

Get a good light system on your home defense weapon for easy nightime ID

(Bucks County)