Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: I wonder

(Allegheny County)

Question I wonder

If I'm the only one who ever thought of this. After the second world war how many guns of all types did the French, Belgian, German, and other citizens and farmers find and never turn them in. I've looked around the web and can't find anything on that subject. I wonder how many MG-43s, and Thompson's got picked up and stashed away. Any thoughts on this will prove interesting. JJ

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: I wonder

"War trophies" surely turn up right here from time to time, although most of the soldiers from that era are long gone and the chances of those items being discovered in a dusty attic are less and less as time goes on.

In talking to a gentleman from a gun shop he told me of the lady who brought in her late husband's "German pistol" that he brought back with him. Turns out it wasn't a pistol at all - it was an MP40

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Pike County)

I can recall that throphy guns weren't uncommon among soviet vets of WW2.
    Je suis déplorable

(Mifflin County)

Some people get some lucky finds stashed away in the attic that a family member have long forgotten about.

From my understanding there is a particular piece of documentation that would allow full autos (brought back from the war) to be put on the NFA registry.

Sadly without that they probably get chopped up and sold for parts. =/

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by thorazine View Post
    Some people get some lucky finds stashed away in the attic that a family member have long forgotten about.

From my understanding there is a particular piece of documentation that would allow full autos (brought back from the war) to be put on the NFA registry.

Sadly without that they probably get chopped up and sold for parts. =/

Yeah, the one I mentioned had never had whatever needed to be done and was demilled and sold as parts in the end.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(York County)

I was reading on armbritain.com (or something like that), and a suprising amount of Brits still have WWII treasure in their basement's/ attics.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    "War trophies" surely turn up right here from time to time, although most of the soldiers from that era are long gone and the chances of those items being discovered in a dusty attic are less and less as time goes on.

In talking to a gentleman from a gun shop he told me of the lady who brought in her late husband's "German pistol" that he brought back with him. Turns out it wasn't a pistol at all - it was an MP40

Technically, MP stands for Maschinenpistole or literally, machine pistol. A better term would be Automatic Pistol. Though not a pistol, it did fire pistol ammunition. The US termed them submachineguns. Not true machine guns of rifle caliber and above but firing pistol type rounds such as 9mm or .45.

This all leads to my saying, "The mistake is understandable".
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch