Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default I can't believe this!

I just can't believe this is what our country has come to. What happened to discrimination?
    I don't smoke but what's next if you have some beers can that be the next thing insurance dictates to how we live now!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080423/...kers_suspended

(Chester County)

Default Re: I can't believe this!

Quote Originally Posted by vetter3006 View Post
    I just can't believe this is what our country has come to. What happened to discrimination?
    I don't smoke but what's next if you have some beers can that be the next thing insurance dictates to how we live now!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080423/...kers_suspended
    If you get a lower rate for being a non-drinker, sure. Why should a tea-totaler pay for my liver transplant if I down a fifth of Jack every night while he takes a two mile walk? It's no different than auto insurance or life insurance, let those who pose the most risk pay the higher premiums.

These guys lied to save themselves a few bucks. As the article said, there was no screening or testing, all they had to do was answer the question honestly, but they didn't. It probably never occured to them that their employer is at risk for losing the company insurance plan by supplying false data to the carrier, or that it's their honest coworkers that end up paying more. In this case, the employer had a policy that kept premiums lower for non-smokers, and these individuals "allegedly" lied to reap that benefit. Getting fired may be the price they pay for their deceit.

(Luzerne County)

I have to agree with STR8...its not the insurance company at fault here.. its the workers. THEY LIED......trying to save $500 a year on their insurance. If ya smoke ...say so..... dont lie about it. Same thing if they were caught lying on their original job application... they could be fired for that too...

(York County)

They agreed to give up their freedom to save a few bucks. Then lied. Then got caught. They need to live with their decisions.

Its only going to get worse with health insurance, especially if the feds become "insurance providers"...you want government healthcare, and agree to give up your freedoms in return for that healthcare, then they will tell what you can and can't eat, drink, etc....
    FOAC * GOA * SAF * NRA Life Member

(Delaware County)

What if a job application asks your hobbies, like hunting and shooting and determine that this is a risk of an injury and will cost you extra in coverage, what do you say then? See what am getting at, how far will the insurance and employers cut back and say how we live effects our health.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by vetter3006 View Post
    What if a job application asks your hobbies, like hunting and shooting and determine that this is a risk of an injury and will cost you extra in coverage, what do you say then? See what am getting at, how far will the insurance and employers cut back and say how we live effects our health.
    I see your point and think it's a good one, but in this case these guys weren't just getting away with saving some bucks, they were screwing over their coworkers who smoke and answered the question honestly. If you did have to pay more because you are a gun owner, how would you feel of other gun owners saved money by lieing about it.

Companies negotiate for the lowest cost insurance with the most benefits just like anything else and if they get a rate based on x number of smokers and then the insurance carrier finds out it's x + y and the company knew it, they could drop them or raise the rates sky high the next time negotiations rolled around. I think it's generous that the company is giving them the opportunity to plead their case before making any final decisions on how to handle it.