Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Almost had to draw at Walmart

Carried openly in a Walmart in the center of a liberal college town. Obnoxious college students, families, old folks, employees took no notice.

Firearm seemed invisible to them. Thought I would have to buy a big dry erase board to draw them a picture that would bring more attention to the fact that I was carrying.

EDIT: THINGS DIDN'T GO TOO WELL NEXT TIME
    Last edited by pex; July 13th, 2008 at 12:32 AM. Reason: THINGS DIDN'T GO TOO WELL NEXT TIME

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Almost had to draw at Walmart

-

FANTASTIC!

Now THAT was refreshing!
    Nice twist on a 'beat-up' topic!

Whew!
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

Did some grocery shopping tonight. Was closer to the end of my trip when a posse of Walmart employees (although they didn't all look like it at the time) were approaching. They surrounded, or attempted to surround me. I didn't let that continue and tried to make sure they stayed where I could see them.

A unmarked man of the four seemed to be the PR guy, and asked me if my arms were real. I'm not sure why he'd ask that, so I said "What?" and he asked again. Then I told him they were. He then told me I wasn't allowed to be armed in the store, even with a permit, unless I was a cop. He said it was for the safety of customers. I asked him if I harmed someone without knowing it. He told me I didn't. I asked how being an officer would make this situation any safer. That was deflected. He said he had some reports of 'a man with a gun' but he said he knew I wasn't waving them around or anything. He told me that I should leave them in the car. I told him I'll just go check out now after getting some milk.

Probably a bad move to buy the products and support this effort. For that I am a potentially horrible person. I did not know yet, however, whether this was policy or just a managerial discretion.

I bought and stowed my items, disarmed, and returned. I tried asking a few employees who the guy who spoke with me was. He was the only one to talk yet I didn't recall seeing a badge identifying him. No one seemed to know, but I got a possible name. I tried to check the sales floor to find the guy, because when I call the General Manager, I'd like to know who needs trained if they made a bad call.

I found one of the guys who was part of the strongman team who came to surround me. I asked him for the guy's name but he refused to tell me. He said he'd get another manager or guy or whatever...so I waited for that guy. He tried to tell me that all stores didn't allow firearms. I asked for clarification: "You mean all Walmarts?" He went on to tell me ALL stores (in existence, I guess?) I said I knew that was not the case. Each store makes its own policy. I asked how any person could know they would not be allowed to shop with a firearm (that is, how did I get as far as I did?) He said common sense would dictate that. He then offered me this: "Would they let you do this at a bar?" I said, some would and some would not. He told me he didn't think so. Then he tried to tell me with the horrors and increased security of today, this kind of thing should not be going on. I said that since the dawn of man, humans have harmed other humans. This should be no different. He told me the GM would be in tomorrow at noon.

I find this to be very suspect. Just tell me you think I'm a threat to your bottom line if that's what is going on here. I went to Walmart to spend money, so the only honest explanation is they think that people seeing firearms is going to cut into their bottom lines. I didn't see anyone avoid me, run away, or scream or any such thing, just like the last time I was there OCing.

I've never seen armed Walmart security there so I can only guess that I must be responsible for my own security. I can only guess how many people had concealed weapons at Walmart. I hope the GM can understand.
    Last edited by pex; July 13th, 2008 at 12:33 AM.

(Luzerne County)

Good luck trying to talk sense to a GM at Walmart. My advice is go direct to corp. and give them the GM name so they can set him/her/it straight

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Chester County)

Talking to employees at Walmart is like talking to a brick wall, they never listen, and they share about the same I.Q.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

Quote Originally Posted by knighthawk06699 View Post
    Talking to employees at Walmart is like talking to a brick wall, they never listen, and they share about the same I.Q.
    I knew I wasn't going to convince anyone on the low end to allow me to carry in this store, but I absolutely could not allow what they were saying to me go without correction. I told them that Walmart has the right to establish this policy, and that such a thing isn't exactly the problem -- however, these ridiculous rationalizations cannot be allowed to continue.

I just figured I'd hit the chain of command and try the GM. Corporate is always on the list.

I prefer the etchasketch, you can CC it if you prefer.

(Delaware County)

I fucking hate going to the Walmarts near me to get ammo. First they take an hour to find someone with a key then stare at you like you're a God damn creep for buying bullets.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    I fucking hate going to the Walmarts near me to get ammo. First they take an hour to find someone with a key then stare at you like you're a God damn creep for buying bullets.
    I don't understand why some Walmarts lock some ammo and others do not. If they don't leave their ammo locked, just go behind the desk and take it, and pay for it up front. Surprisingly, ammo sales are not 'locked' to the 'sporting goods' register.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by pex View Post
    I don't understand why some Walmarts lock some ammo and others do not. If they don't leave their ammo locked, just go behind the desk and take it, and pay for it up front. Surprisingly, ammo sales are not 'locked' to the 'sporting goods' register.
    all the Walmarts I've ever bought ammo from I had to pay in sporting goods and the ammo was locked up.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast