Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why open carry?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Why open carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Salt View Post
    I belong to a pipe and cigar club and were thinking about doing some voulenteer work to get out in the community and show people that yes we do smoke, yes we have a right to smoke, and no we arent going around dishing out cancer to everyone we see, especially in a time when smoking in so looked down on and our rights are being infringed upon.

I view OC as the same principle. Show people that OC isnt necessiarly a negative thing, show people that we arent gun toting mosnters who go around murdering people, and more importantly inform that OC IS LEGAL and it is our right to do so.

Just my $0.02.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Don't feel the same way, please. The two things have no common denominator. I smoke, so don't go to the anti smoker well. Smoking physically affects other people, OC'ing doesn't. I don't remember there being anything in the Constitution that says it is your right to force anyone else to engage in a habit you have. Smoking in someone else's proximity forces them to inhale smoke. OC'ing in someone else's proximity doesn't force them to OC. Put your thinking cap on before throwing a "community service" tag on an activity you want to espouse. People are tired of being forced into participating in an activity against their will, that's why there is all the no smoking stuff going on.
    Im sorry sir, but i have to disagree. First of all we smoke in a private club in the back of a store front. I dont force anyone who inhale smoke who doesnt want to.

I also dont go around with a tube, shove it down someones throat and force feed them smoke. We are all there for the same reason, to enjoy tobacco prooducts.

Anyone who sits in the back room of a cigar store and complains about smoke shouldnt be there, just like anything else, you dont like it you leave.

As far as smoking in public, that is why there are desiganted smoking areas.

That is why people who dont like smoke sit in the non smoking section. The people who are in smoking know the risks, the small one at that and accept it, if they thought that it posed that much of a threat to their life, im sure they would leave.

In terms of relating community service to open carry, I believe it was a valid point.

I smoke and people are trying to take that right away from me.

I open carry and people are trying to take that right away from me.

What do you do in an unjust situation?

You do what you can to make sure that right is preserved.

If it means getting out in your community to show people that just because you dont agree with something, it doesnt make people monsters, then so be it.

Dont get me wrong, i do see the logic in what your saying, but I am not going to apologize for being active in my community and proctecting my cause.

Most people are just sitting on their ass and not doing anything while the government inposes these restrictions on out rights.

This country was built an tobacco and guns for god sakes.

My point is that people are aware of the risks. There are designated smoking areas in many establishments many times with proper ventilation systems so that people have the OPTION to CHOOSE what environment they want to be in.

You sit in smoking, you are choosing to.

If I ever offend someone with my smoke and they ask me to stop, I would just because it would be the polite thing to do.

The day i go around restraining people against their will, shove a tube down their throat, then directly blow smoke into someones lungs is the day you can say I force people to smoke.
    Last edited by Salt; April 21st, 2008 at 08:55 PM.

(Berks County)

"Why do you openly carry your firearm?"

"Because openly carrying my ninja would seem awkward, wouldnt it?"

Find some criminal psychology research. You may be surprised how extremely few criminals will boldly walk into any situation that looks like resistance will be given. Criminals have often been deterrred just by someone being very alert and aware of their surroundings. They dont want to be caught, if you are seen carrying they tend to put things on hold.
    The type of individual that would see you carry and still proceed with criminal intent, will probably have taken you out first, even if cc, as you would probably be aware of your surroundings and he would pick up on it. He would eliminate the most likely threat first. Again if this were an individual with this much aggresion! Which is rare.
    -Remember the Constitution-

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Salt View Post
    Im sorry sir, but i have to disagree. First of all we smoke in a private club in the back of a store front. I dont force anyone who inhale smoke who doesnt want to.

I also dont go around with a tube, shove it down someones throat and force feed them smoke. We are all there for the same reason, to enjoy tobacco prooducts.

Anyone who sits in the back room of a cigar store and complains about smoke shouldnt be there, just like anything else, you dont like it you leave.

As far as smoking in public, that is why there are desiganted smoking areas.

That is why people who dont like smoke sit in the non smoking section. The people who are in smoking know the risks, the small one at that and accept it, if they thought that it posed that much of a threat to their life, im sure they would leave.

In terms of relating community service to open carry, I believe it was a valid point.

I smoke and people are trying to take that right away from me.

I open carry and people are trying to take that right away from me.

What do you do in an unjust situation?

You do what you can to make sure that right is preserved.

If it means getting out in your community to show people that just because you dont agree with something, it doesnt make people monsters, then so be it.

Dont get me wrong, i do see the logic in what your saying, but I am not going to apologize for being active in my community and proctecting my cause.

Most people are just sitting on their ass and not doing anything while the government inposes these restrictions on out rights.

This country was built an tobacco and guns for god sakes.

My point is that people are aware of the risks. There are designated smoking areas in many establishments many times with proper ventilation systems so that people have the OPTION to CHOOSE what environment they want to be in.

You sit in smoking, you are choosing to.

If I ever offend someone with my smoke and they ask me to stop, I would just because it would be the polite thing to do.

The day i go around restraining people against their will, shove a tube down their throat, then directly blow smoke into someones lungs is the day you can say I force people to smoke.
    I am not against smoking, or against you being a smoking activist. For you to take the position that, unless you physically grab someone and hold them down, while shoving a tube down their throat and blowing smoke in it, you are not forcing them to inhale smoke, is just silly. If you are smoking in a room full of smokers, who have no problem with inhaling your smoke, that's fine. But out in a public setting, where people of all creeds and beliefs gather, if you smoke among them, you are forcing them to inhale your smoke. Smoking section, or no smoking section, is not the point. You don't have the right to practice a habit in the presence of others, that forces them to also engage in that habit. It is a very simple concept that has been around since the right to pursue life, liberty, and happiness was recognized. Your right to do something does not supersede someone else's right to not be forced into doing something. That is a basic principle of exercising rights that needs to be understood before the next point is made..... that point being OC'ing is a right, that when exercised, doesn't force anyone else to participate. That is why you can not compare the two things, in the manner you suggest.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Chester County)

Μολὼν λάβε

(Cambria County)

Wow, thats a lot!

I don't think folks are going to stop wanting to know about why people choose to OC any time soon.

Maybe the responses from some of the above threads could be compiled into a sticky?

Quote Originally Posted by SSGF109 View Post
    Then try conceal something smaller of larger caliber. In the summer I conceal a GLOCK 23 and in the colder months I conceal a GLOCK 21.
    I don't like glocks!
    Most here know this.....
    Flame away, they don't feel good to ME!!
    So I should carry a .380, or .32?????

I will carry what I want , when I want!

Like I have said before "From My Cold Dead Hands"

I don't care WHO it is, the gov. or some thug on the street!!!!

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    I am not against smoking, or against you being a smoking activist. For you to take the position that, unless you physically grab someone and hold them down, while shoving a tube down their throat and blowing smoke in it, you are not forcing them to inhale smoke, is just silly. If you are smoking in a room full of smokers, who have no problem with inhaling your smoke, that's fine. But out in a public setting, where people of all creeds and beliefs gather, if you smoke among them, you are forcing them to inhale your smoke. Smoking section, or no smoking section, is not the point. You don't have the right to practice a habit in the presence of others, that forces them to also engage in that habit. It is a very simple concept that has been around since the right to pursue life, liberty, and happiness was recognized. Your right to do something does not supersede someone else's right to not be forced into doing something. That is a basic principle of exercising rights that needs to be understood before the next point is made..... that point being OC'ing is a right, that when exercised, doesn't force anyone else to participate. That is why you can not compare the two things, in the manner you suggest.
    I am not comparing smoking and OC in the manner you are sugguesting. I am comparing why I OC. I open carry to make people aware that people who have a gun on their hip arent crazy.

Much like the guys on youtube who OC in a bad neighborhood and pick up trash. To show people that we are people too and arent bad guys. That is why the community service aspect came into play. To show others that people who smoke are people too and we like others participate in activites to help our community.

Once again I understand where you are coming from. I am imposing on other peoples right to be in a smoke free environnment.

I am not forcing anyone to inhale my smoke. If I am somewhere that is acceptable to smoke and so is everyone else and you dont like smoke just dont go there. Its a simple concept.

The defination of force is : violence, compulsion, or constraint exerted upon or against a person or thing.

The defination of constraint is: the state of being checked, restricted, or compelled to avoid or perform some action

I guess you can argue that I am restricting people from breathing fresh air, but at any given time they can remove themselves from the situation that they are in, thus I am not forcing the to inhale my smoke. I am sorry but at no point in time I am not forcing anyone to inhale my smoke.

Say you dont smoke and you have the option to go to an establishment that either:
    A.) Allows smoking and is known to have large amounts of smoke.
    B.) A completly non-smoking environment.

Which is the logical choice? Most people dont put themselves in an undesirable sitaution. I dont walk in bad neighborhoods at night. I could but I know there is a chance I may get the shit kicked out of me. So I dont. I guess that neighborhood is forcing me from walking. Or I could just walk around it.
    Last edited by Salt; April 21st, 2008 at 11:19 PM.

(Berks County)

I OC because...

I dont own a Glock. If I did, it would have to remain concealed, lest I be constantly hassled by 4 year olds wanting to play with my "big lego block".

zombies may someday rise, and the strapping hero who rescues and defends the school bus full of grateful cheerleaders never has his sidearm hidden under his shirt.

the elderly confuse me for police, the police confuse me for a criminal, the criminals just walk away to find some elderly.

King Arthur never conceal carried Excaliber.

in case someone at a party asks me for a bottle opener. True, no part of my firarm would ever be used to open a bottle, but reaching for it does make them quit bothering me to open their bottle.real booze bottles come with corks anyway

I saw a girl in pajamas and slippers, and a guy with his pants down just above his knees, at the local mall, in the middle of the day. How does my sidearm even draw attention away from that?!?

3oz of aluminum and tin on the head, and 2lbs of stainless steel, copper, and lead on the hip jam the mind control signals from the black helicopters equally well.

its stealth cloaking module's batteries are dead again.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234