Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default OC encounter this morning

I am running on about 6 hrs. total sleep over the last 4 days, so bear with me.
    After I drop the wife off at her job, I decide to stop at Mr. Z's to pick up a few things. I am wearing the same clothes I had on yesterday, jeans and an A shirt. Hair is in the neighborhood of Einstein, and I am sure I look as tired as I feel.

I enter the store, grab a hand basket, and head over by the deli. I pass by two guys chatting, and am standing about ten feet away looking at the bacon with a dumbfounded look on my face I'm sure, when I hear one say,"Look at that guy. He's got a pistol just sitting on his hip.".

I am soooo not in the mood to play ambassador at that moment, so I just continue my perusing. About 30 seconds go by and I hear a faint,"Aren't you supposed to keep that concealed?".

"UGH. OC everywhere you fucking idiot", is what is going through my head as I really don't want to have to do this at this very moment. I ignore the tiny voice.

"Excuse me...", much louder now, so I turn," Aren't you supposed to keep that covered up", says one of the guys from before, now alone, and making covering gestures to illustrate his words.

Hoping I don't sigh out loud, I say,"Nope.".

"I'm pretty sure by law you need to keep that concealed.".

"Not in this state.", I reply. "I am more than pretty sure. In fact, I know for certain."

"Really? Hmmm, how is that?", he asks.

So, I run through how there is no law preventing and case law recognizing as legal, the ability to OC in this state where ever you may legally possess a firearm.

"Hmmm, interesting. I didn't know you could do that here. But what if someone sees it, won't you get in trouble?". I genuinely want to drop and start to bang my head on the floor.

"Why would I? It is perfectly legal."

"Well, I was sure you need at least a permit".

"Nope, unless you take it in your vehicle or are in Philadelphia, then you need a license.".

"You know, the sheriff in this county make it almost impossible to get a permit. My friend was given a hard time and the amount of trouble you have go through is ridiculous.". Now, while I certainly have an opinion of even having to get a license, I don't think the requirements are that troublesome, and I am really starting to feel like this guy just wants to be more important than he is...if that makes sense?

"I had no trouble getting mine.", I tell him. "In fact, this is a shall issue state. If you have no disqualifiers in your past, you have to be given a license. And BTW, that's what we have here in Pa., licenses to carry firearms, not permits to conceal of any such thing.".
    We go on and on. His last name is the same as some CLEO in the area, so he was given his permit right there, but he doesn't think the sheriff should do that. He has a degree in CJ and he thinks this or that. I keep Identifying myths and untruths and keep trying to correct them. "There is a town in Georgia, where if you don't have a pistol on you, you get fined $5. You have to carry there, everywhere except a bar, but that's just common sense.", he says.

"Well I don't know about Georgia, but in Pa. you are certainly allowed to carry in a bar.", I tell him.

"No you're not."

"Oh yes, you sure are", I tell him,"But a bar is private property and if the owner doesn't want you carrying there, he can certainly tell you to leave.".

He then relates a story about how he once showed his 9mm to a group of five guys that were following him and his girlfriend, by lifting up his shirt and saying,"Can I help you?".

"If that was in Pa. you are lucky they didn't file a complaint and have you arrested for terroristic threatening."

I take out my OC flyer, my personal, always have on me, copy, and hand it to him. I tell him there is some good information in there that may clear up any myths I might have missed. He takes it, looks it over and shoves it in his pocket, then seeming to have lost interest, he says,"Well, see ya'.", and saunters away.

I really don't know how to classify this incident. Positive, negative, or neutral.

I think the most important lesson I learned from it was not to ever leave my house without having coffee first, again.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Berks County)

Default Re: OC encounter this morning

I really don't know how to classify this incident. Positive, negative, or neutral.
    How about "dumbass".

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    How about "dumbass".
    Quoted for truth.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    "I'm pretty sure by law you need to keep that concealed.".

"Not in this state.", I reply. "I am more than pretty sure. In fact, I know for certain."

"Really? Hmmm, how is that?", he asks.

So, I run through how there is no law preventing and case law recognizing as legal, the ability to OC in this state where ever you may legally possess a firearm.
    i had a similar conversation with a class mate in my night class last week.. he swore on his life OC was illegal in PA.. i told him the paopencarry website and he said that he's heard about the website, and its a bunch of BS used to get people in trouble and i shouldnt believe anything the site says or references! funny thing is my prof was a DA for 20 years and he agreed with me, but the kid just wouldnt change his mind.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    i had a similar conversation with a class mate in my night class last week.. he swore on his life OC was illegal in PA.. i told him the paopencarry website and he said that he's heard about the website, and its a bunch of BS used to get people in trouble and i shouldnt believe anything the site says or references! funny thing is my prof was a DA for 20 years and he agreed with me, but the kid just wouldnt change his mind.
    You should have just snapped his neck, and ate his brain. I mean, it's bound to happen somewhere along his life journey, right?

(Allegheny County)

Good job HeadCase. Sounds like the dude is a real piece of work and you did good to treat him with respect and offer information even though it will prolly go in one ear and out the other....
    -A
    No matter who you vote for the government always gets in.

(Berks County)

You should have just snapped his neck, and ate his brain. I mean, it's bound to happen somewhere along his life journey, right?
    Wait a minute here, have the zombie wars begun already and why didn't anyone tell me that jcabin was one of them?
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    Wait a minute here, have the zombie wars begun already and why didn't anyone tell me that jcabin was one of them?
    Yes silly I thought you knew

(Westmoreland County)

I

He then relates a story about how he once showed his 9mm to a group of five guys that were following him and his girlfriend, by lifting up his shirt and saying,"Can I help you?".

I would classify that as a close encounter with an idiot. Who in their right mind carries concealed illegally? Actually, doesn't that make him a criminal?

At the beginning of the story I though you had encounted a rabid anti. By the end he just sounded like a uninformed moron.

(Luzerne County)

"You know, the sheriff in this county make it almost impossible to get a permit. My friend was given a hard time and the amount of trouble you have go through is ridiculous.".
    We go on and on. His last name is the same as some CLEO in the area, so he was given his permit right there, but he doesn't think the sheriff should do that. He has a degree in CJ and he thinks this or that. I keep Identifying myths and untruths and keep trying to correct them. "There is a town in Georgia, where if you don't have a pistol on you, you get fined $5. You have to carry there, everywhere except a bar, but that's just common sense.", he says.
    So he's a know-it-all and a story teller
    Not to mention nosy But that's OK.. Another educated.

Bout all you can do is smile and politely correct them... Like you did.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast