Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Best way to ship a hadgun to out of state FFL

Im trying to find a economical way to ship a handgun to a out of state FFL. I called Fed Ex, they can ship it but their policy is priority overnite which cost over $100. I called my LGS they want a $25 fee plus the cost of shipping $45, $70 total(w/ insurance). The FFL is in Missouri, any suggestions?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Best way to ship a hadgun to out of state FFL

Just shipped one today. US post office was the cheapest PA to AL $15.50 insured.

(Philadelphia County)

I think only FFL`s are allowed to ship handguns via US mail.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerdown View Post
    Just shipped one today. US post office was the cheapest PA to AL $15.50 insured.
    This is a quote from the PAFOA shipping forum " A non-FFL CANNOT use USPS to ship a handgun."

(Chester County)

If your shipping to an ffl holder all you need is a copy of the ffl to ship.

(Philadelphia County)

This is from gunbrokers shipping page
    "An unlicensed person can ship a rifle or shotgun by US Mail. Unlicensed persons CANNOT ship a handgun by US Mail."

(Allegheny County)

Nope, only an FFL can ship a handgun using the USPS. My dealer charges me 30.00 total to do this.

My suggestion to the OP is find a dealer that will do it cheaper, most handguns fit in a medium flat rate box so shipping is only a little over 10.00 plus insurance, not 45.00, at most they should only be charging you their 25.00 fee plus actual shipping with insurance, so it should be no more than 40.00 total.
    Last edited by arjohnson; March 23rd, 2013 at 12:04 AM.

(Chester County)

Do you want me to ship you pistol for you. All I need is a copy of the ffl and USPS shipping.

(Allegheny County)

Do you want me to ship you pistol for you. All I need is a copy of the ffl and USPS shipping.
    Maybe you should read this from their website.

11.1.3 Authorized Persons

11.1.5 Manufacturers and Dealers

Handguns may also be mailed between licensed manufacturers of firearms and licensed dealers of firearms in customary trade shipments, or for repairing or replacing parts.
    11.1.6 Certificate of Manufacturers and Dealers

A licensed manufacturer or dealer need not file the affidavit under 11.1.4, but must file with the postmaster a statement on Form 1508 signed by the mailer that he or she is a licensed manufacturer or dealer of firearms, that the parcels containing handguns (or major component parts thereof) are customary trade shipments or contain such articles for repairing or replacing parts, and that to the best of his or her knowledge or belief the addressees are licensed manufacturers or dealers of firearms.

(Indiana County)

12.1.2 Handguns

Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in 12.1.3 and 12.1.5 after the filing of an affidavit or statement required by 12.1.4 and 12.1.6, and are subject to the following:

a. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 12.1.1b, and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 12.1.1h.

b. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 12.1.1b which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest may be accepted for mailing without regard to 12.1.3 through 12.1.6.

c. Air guns that do not fall within the definition of firearm under 12.1.1a that are capable of being concealed on a person are mailable; but must include adult signature service under 503.9.0. Mailers must comply with all applicable state and local regulations.

d. Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers or other parts or components regulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C.

e. Mailers are also subject to applicable restrictions by governments of a state, territory, or district.
    12.1.3 Authorized Persons

Subject to 12.1.4, handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, a licensed dealer of firearms, a licensed importer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or the government of a state, territory, or district, only when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person's official duties:

a. Officers of the Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.

b. Officers of the National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.

c. Officers of the United States or of a state, territory, or district, whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

d. USPS employees authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.

e. Officers and employees of enforcement agencies of the United States.

f. Watchmen engaged in guarding the property of the United States, a state, territory, or district.

g. Purchasing agent or other designated member of agencies employing officers and employees included in 12.1.3c. through 12.1.3e.
    12.1.4 Affidavit of Addressee

Any person proposing to mail a handgun under 12.1.3 must file with the postmaster, at the time of mailing, an affidavit signed by the addressee setting forth that the addressee is qualified to receive the firearm under a particular category of 12.1.3a through 12.1.3g, and that the firearm is intended for the addressee�s official use. The affidavit must also bear a certificate stating that the firearm is for the official duty use of the addressee, signed by one of the following, as appropriate:

a. For officers of Armed Forces, by the commanding officer.

b. For officers and employees of enforcement agencies, by the head of the agency employing the addressee to perform the official duty with which the firearm is to be used.

c. For watchmen, by the chief clerk of the department, bureau, or independent branch of the government of the United States, the state, the territory, or the district by which the watchman is employed.

d. For the purchasing agent or other designated member of enforcement agencies, by the head of such agency, that the firearm is to be used by an officer or employee included in 12.1.3c through 12.1.3e, Authorized Persons.
    12.1.5 Manufacturers, Dealers, and Importers

Handguns may also be mailed between licensed manufacturers of firearms, licensed dealers of firearms, and licensed importers of firearms in customary trade shipments, or for repairing or replacing parts.
    12.1.6 Certificate of Manufacturers, Dealers, and Importers

A federal firearms licensee manufacturer, dealer or importer need not file the affidavit under 12.1.4, but must file with the postmaster a statement on Form 1508 signed by the mailer that he or she is a licensed manufacturer, dealer or importer of firearms. The mailer must also state that the parcels containing handguns, or parts and components of handguns under 12.1.2d, are being mailed in customary trade shipments or contain such articles for repairing or replacing parts, and that to the best of their knowledge the addressees are licensed manufacturers, dealers or importers of firearms.
    12.1.7 Federal and Other Law Enforcement Agencies

Handguns may be mailed without regard to 12.1.3 through 12.1.6 if the item is:

a. Addressed to a scientific laboratory or crime detection bureau of any federal, state or local law enforcement agency whose members are authorized to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

b. Sent by an authorized agent of the federal government as an official shipment to any qualified addressee in 12.1.3, or to a licensed manufacturer, dealer, or importer of firearms, or to a federal agency.
    http://pe.usps.gov/search/jsp/search...9&dtype=2#hit0

Unless you are a FFL, you are wrong, arjohnson is correct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast