Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Open carried today REPORT...

Stopped at the Portland diner to meet a business associate, no reaction at all. Went to a meeting at the Bangor Area School District. I threw a jacket on because I didn't want any trouble with the deal I was working on. The contact there is ex-DEA and though I believe he would have taken it in stride, school was in session and I took no chances. I had the jacket on, but the whole bottom of my holster was exposed. If anyone noticed, nothing was said. From there I went to pick up some carry ammo, and then went to the range. After the range, I went to Jiffy lube. While no one said anything, I was asked only if I wanted the regular oil. I said yes as I stepped out of the vehicle, and that was the last thing anyone said to me until they gave me my receipt and total. I thought it unusual because anyone who uses Jiffy Lube can tell you, they ask you a ton of questions when you drive in, and they always call you out for the sales pitch in the middle of the oil change... Heh heh, cool.. So then it's off to Mr. Z's by the Stroud mall. I picked up a few things and as I am grabbing my bag, the cashier asks the guy behind me if that will be all. He answers in a voice meant for me to hear,"Yeah, as long as noboby's going to shoot me...".
    I turn around and tell him,"As long as your a good boy, all will be well.". Then I notice it's the guy from the range, that rang the wife and I up the other night. We have a laugh and off I go......

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Open carried today REPORT...

Another mythbuster.

So, based on your experience today, would you say that going about ones business, while openly armed, scares people?

Would you say that people were offended or felt that you were shoving your rights in their faces?

(Northampton County)

Are you saying that you carried on School property?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jofreder View Post
    Which is fine as long as you were in posession of said firearm for other legal purposes.
    I can tell you've been rady8ed, you have a nice glow about you.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Another mythbuster.

So, based on your experience today, would you say that going about ones business, while openly armed, scares people?

Would you say that people were offended or felt that you were shoving your rights in their faces?
    No, and no. But I need to add that that assessment is based not only on today's experience, but on close to four months of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jofreder View Post
    Yes sir, I sure did. I have carried over twenty times on school property, so far. Nineteen or so have been overtly CC, and once was OC, seventeen of those were to pick up my son from the latchkey program(I OC'd once because I just forgot), and three or four were while doing business. I plan to OC to a football game during the season this year, but I need to psych myself up for the possible legal fight.
    I carry for self defense, period. If that's illegal, then we are all in trouble.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Cumberland County)

Interesting. I concealed carry every place it is legal, but it never occurred to me to open carry. I'm not sure I'd want to open carry. To me, it just seems like it sends the message, "shoot me first" if a bad situation develops. LEO's open carry, but they also usually have on a vest.

What do you see as the benefits of open carry as opposed to concealed carry?

I'll be interested to continue reading about your experiences wth it. I've not seen anybody with out a badge open carrying a handgun since I moved to PA 4 years ago, but I suppose that could change any day now. Rifles and shotguns, lots of them, but not handguns.

Fitch

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    Interesting. I concealed carry every place it is legal, but it never occurred to me to open carry. I'm not sure I'd want to open carry. To me, it just seems like it sends the message, "shoot me first" if a bad situation develops. LEO's open carry, but they also usually have on a vest.

What do you see as the benefits of open carry as opposed to concealed carry?

I'll be interested to continue reading about your experiences wth it. I've not seen anybody with out a badge open carrying a handgun since I moved to PA 4 years ago, but I suppose that could change any day now. Rifles and shotguns, lots of them, but not handguns.

Fitch
    Fitch, you'll see lots of commentary here about the benefits v the cons of OC.

Other than doing a "search" here in the" concealed and Open Carry forum", here are a couple direct links to info on pro's/cons:
    http://paopencarry.org/ocqa.html
    http://paopencarry.org/openvconcealed.html

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    No, and no. But I need to add that that assessment is based not only on today's experience, but on close to four months of the same. .
    Oh... I see. So would you say that, in your opinion, you are basing this on a pattern of experiences, over time, and not just some manufactured/wished reality that doesn't actually exist?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    No, and no. But I need to add that that assessment is based not only on today's experience, but on close to four months of the same.

Yes sir, I sure did. I have carried over twenty times on school property, so far. Nineteen or so have been overtly CC, and once was OC, seventeen of those were to pick up my son from the latchkey program(I OC'd once because I just forgot), and three or four were while doing business. I plan to OC to a football game during the season this year, but I need to psych myself up for the possible legal fight.
    I carry for self defense, period. If that's illegal, then we are all in trouble.
    Don't get me wrong I am all for it. I was just checking that I read that right since the whole carry on school grounds is a little vague and i believe has never been challenaged in court yet. I would be to affraid to lose my license and my dollars to the the lawyer.

Great attitude, I am sure I will get brave one day as I keep reading your stories.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Oh... I see. So would you say that, in your opinion, you are basing this on a pattern of experiences, over time, and not just some manufactured/wished reality that doesn't actually exist?
    Well, that's just stupid.
    In the future, you should ignore the facts and disregard all similar experiences.
    Hearsay and conjecture is the only way to go.
    Besides, EVERYONE that OC's has already been shot by a BG, or locked up for life.

DO YOU WANT TO BE NEXT???
    I can tell you've been rady8ed, you have a nice glow about you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast