Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Venango County)

Default PICS check, business days/holidays question.

i went to purchase a new handgun on Dec 15th and was unfortunately put into research at that time. I understand that they have 15 days to render a approval or denial (or indeterminate?). i also believe it is 15 "business" days, but when i mentioned this to the shop when checking to see if they had heard anything, they informed me that PSP is not counting the week of the holidays as business days. Has anyone else heard of this? i am very close to 15 days if you count weekdays minus federal holidays, but would like to know if I need to account for an extra week.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: PICS check, business days/holidays question.

Something happen that prevented you from getting the PICS check the day you went to purchase the firearm?

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kabloosh View Post
    Something happen that prevented you from getting the PICS check the day you went to purchase the firearm?
    not sure i understand your question. i was put into research by PICS. Are you asking if i have something in my background that would label me prohibited? if so, the answer is no. i was once picked up for DUI, but the charge was dismissed and expunged. i checked the UJS portal and all the docket sheets are clean and it looks like everything has been completed in regards to the expungement. Even if it hadn't been expunged, it is not a prohibiting offense.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by JRO View Post
    not sure i understand your question. i was put into research by PICS. Are you asking if i have something in my background that would label me prohibited? if so, the answer is no. i was once picked up for DUI, but the charge was dismissed and expunged. i checked the UJS portal and all the docket sheets are clean and it looks like everything has been completed in regards to the expungement. Even if it hadn't been expunged, it is not a prohibiting offense.
    Well I thought unless you get flagged you would be approved on the spot when you went to purchase the firearm.

(Venango County)

yeah, but it could be anything. someone with a similar name, first time purchase, whatever. i am not really concerned with being in research, just wondering how much longer i have to wait to find out.

From the PSP website:

Pennsylvania Firearm Dealers and County Sheriffs access the PICS program through a toll free telephone number, which is available for service from 8:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. seven days a week, including holidays. If an individual is eligible to acquire a firearm, the PICS background check replaces the former, mandatory five-day waiting period. Operation has shown that approximately 60% of the individuals attempting to purchase a firearm are approved within minutes.

The PICS background check program issues approval or denial determinations. By law, no record information may be disseminated as a result of the background check. If a record is identified on an individual's background check, the call is transferred to an operator. The operator then reviews the record, and if it is not prohibiting, approves the sale. If there is a question as to whether or not the record is prohibiting, the operator may place the file in research for up to 15 days. As soon as the operator has a definite answer, the dealer is called and either given an approval number or advised that the sale is denied and the individual should be given a Pennsylvania Instant Check Challenge Form.
    So, my guess would be that the 15 days includes weekends & holidays. You could call the PSP Firearms Division and ask them: 717-705-8843.

(Venango County)

i had read that same thing on the PSP website and assumed it was simply 15 days, but the shop told me it was business days and i did some reading on here and found others stating it was business day also. the thing that threw me was when the shop told me PSP was taking an entire week off during the holidays and not counting it towards the 15 days. my main concern is perhaps for some unknown reason i was denied and the shop lost the info or something and i will miss out on the 30 day window to challenge. perhaps i will try to give the firearms division a call tomorrow. thanks for the reply.

(Philadelphia County)

I just called because I'm also in research status for no reason. I just bought a firearm a couple weeks ago and have an ltcf. No idea why I am in research status.

15 days. Not business days. Just regular days.

(Venango County)

Update, I called today and spoke with psp firearms div. I also got the response that it is not business days but just 15 days. Once I explained my situation she looked me up and found that I was approved Saturday. Unfortunately I didn't think to ask her why it took longer than 15 days if that really is the standard.

(Lycoming County)

You are lucky it was that quick. I was denied on Dec. 10th, sent my challenge form in the next day, got a response letter on Dec. 21st that was dated Dec. 14th, and just today got my reversal letter. I called them several times and left messages, unfortunately it was the week after the shooting in Connecticut so they were busy. I did finally talk to someone the day after Christmas and she was very nice and helpful. But I think it is a ridiculous system that shouldn't take that long with the technology that we have. It is human error that is the problem I think. It cost me a lot of stress and is going to cost me money. Had I not been denied I would have been one of the first buying an AR before the prices sky rocketed and ammo is very scarce.
    Good Luck
    Now what to buy?