Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Do you practice protecting your home and family?

Some might think it paranoid, some might think it not paranoid enough...

I was reading a discussion in another sub-forum and had responded with the following...

For protecting my own home... I've practiced clearing every room from every directions just in case. But, the plan for me and my family involves specific movements and basically staying put.

I have a dog who reacts to the sound of someone stepping onto the porch, well before they could possibly reach the door. And of someone comes through a window, they're going to have to kill the dog if they want to leave without some severe K9 trauma. This is a good thing for me, as my wife and I will be aware of a possible issue before it materializes.

Should it happen at night, my wife takes her cell phone and revolver and goes to my son's room to hide in the closet (with my son). Directly below the closet is a refrigerator and a wall of cabinets, so if someone decides to try to shoot from the first floor, through the ceiling to the second floor, my wife and son have as much protection as possible. This also virtually guarantees that I don't need to worry about over penetration and shooting anywhere near where my wife and son might be. While my wife is hidden and calling 911 I cover the stairs, anyone coming up the stairs uninvited gets dead. The door to my son's bedroom doesn't open until an "all clear" (code word) is given. We have run some other home invasion scenarios as well. We have plans for issues outside the home, but they're a lot more difficult to practice without upsetting the public

If you train / practice with your family, what do you do? What are some recommendations for defending, covering your loved ones outside your home?

Skullz

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Do you practice protecting your home and family?

I see no paranoia. Just another form of insurance. I ave never practiced this but now would be a good time to start...
    I vote the second first

(Indiana County)

I have a dog who reacts to the sound of someone stepping onto the porch, well before they could possibly reach the door.
    I have eight dogs, seven of which react to the disturbance of the magnetic aura when someone walks on the sidewalk on the other side of the street.

(Northampton County)

I have eight dogs, seven of which react to the disturbance of the magnetic aura when someone walks on the sidewalk on the other side of the street.
    Yeah, but what about the criminals that are using electro magnets to disrupt the dogs? I guess number 8 just has good hearing?

(Monroe County)

I have and practice an emergency drill with my family. It mostly revolves around fire, but we have thrown in what if's like someone kicks the door in.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Lycoming County)

I don't currently practice due to my living situation, but...

I have thought several times about how I would react based on how the layout of my parents house is and where all parties are sleeping. I have also pondered how I may design a house with these types of scenarios in mind. I even went as far as considering a "safe door" at the end of the hallway between the bedrooms and the rest of the house. This would be a minimum of a steel deadbolted door, possibly more depending on what extent I want to go to bulletproofing the bedroom area of the house. I have also thought about making the hallway an 'L' shape so there is only one point that needs to be considered when defending the family.

You did raise an interesting twist; all of my thinking has been horizontal. I hadn't considered the possibility of shooting up or down through the floor or ceiling. I'm going to have to take that into account.

Once I am back in my own place, bought or built, I will most definitely discuss measures with my wife and proceed accordingly.

(York County)

we have not practiced but we have discussed this type of thing. If I'm at home and we're upstairs asleep. Wifey runs into the daughters room and stays there while she calls 911. I stay right outside the door and cover the hallway, If someone comes up stairs, I'll ask who it is, I get no answer then its go time. My wife does not open the door til the shooting stops or I tell her too.

If I'm not at home, same thing but she takes the mossberg with her into the daughters room and shoots anyone who tries to open the bedroom door without identifying themselves.

We have a dog, but if some one were to break in he would run right to the garage and wait by the door for his milk bone as I have trained him to do so, he doesn't wake everyone up when I come home in the mornings after night shift.

BB
    3%

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
    Some might think it paranoid, some might think it not paranoid enough...
    Interesting question. Depending on where you live, the odds of a home invasion are so low that you are more likely to be hit by lightning. Does that make the owners of the buildings we all see with lightning rods paranoid? No. Lightning rarely hits, but when it does the results are significant.

Same with a home invasion. Rarely happens (even in the urban environment where I live) but it does happen and it happens to somebody -- if that somebody is you, good to be prepared as to what to do.

PS: You can practice a number of issues that might crop up outside the home using airsoft pistols indoors. Most encounters take place at very close distances.

Outdoor practice could consist of identifying and using cover. People will just think you are playing some form of hide and seek with your kids. The indoor practice (of outdoor issues) could consist of what if BG tries to pursue as you seek cover or pursues you while you use cover.

Just some thoughts.

(York County)

hahahaha
    I have told my wife that we need to practice this , ie room clearing/house clearing, I thought she was gonna laugh at me but thankfully she agreed. We will set up a plan the next time someone has my twins for a little while. Definitely not paranoia just an example of responsibility and being prepared to help your family , cuzz you know ther police arent going to be there to help until a situation is already over .

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post
    Interesting question. Depending on where you live, the odds of a home invasion are so low that you are more likely to be hit by lightning.
    I used to agree with your statement. But, I live in a pretty rural area of Pa and I thought I was getting away from crime and senseless violence when my wife and I moved her once we knew we where having a baby.

Even where I live there has been two home invasions in the last six months, one "sexual" in nature (I assume rape but I never heard the whole story).

As far as practicing I must admit I do not. I live in a single floor house (ranch) and feel target recognition and shot accuracy are my only options. With my walls being paper thin there would not be much cover available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast