Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Active Military concealed carry permit

I have a question about CCW. I am a resident of PA, In order to get my CCW permit i have to be 21 (which i am 18). I am currently stationed in Florida where I can get my CCW permit at 18 because i am in the active army. Will PA honor my CCW permit even though i am 18? Thank you! And does the pistol have to be in my name (gifted from father)? Thanks again!

Default Re: Active Military concealed carry permit

Stetzer,

I am also active duty military. First off, I'm not a lawyer so take what I say with a grain of salt.

First, there is no "Registration" you need to be worried about. So you don't need to worry about a pistol being in a particular persons name. However, there are very particular laws in regards to the sale of a handgun to someone under the age of 21.

Those are:

A federally licensed dealer may not sell a handgun to a person under the age of 21.

A handgun may be gifted or transferred to anyone who is your spouse, parent, child, grandparent, or grandchild as long as they are eligible without an FFL.

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/PA/18/II/G/61/A/6111/sale-or-transfer-of-firearms/

So, in a nutshell, as long as a family member gave you that handgun, you are good to go for owning it. There is no "registration" that you need to worry about. Pennsylvania does have a "sales database" which they misuse for registration but that only affects sales within the state and is a different story.

As for carrying and using your Florida CCW, I will defer to GunLawyer001. He actually *is* a lawyer and will know the answer.

(Northampton County)

If you have a valid license from Florida, Pennsylvania will accept it, regardless of your age.

Unfortunately, you might get shit from some uneducated cops.
    Free "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named"

(Bradford County)

NO. PA doesn't recognize out of state permits held by residents of this state, last I checked.

Since OP is a resident of PA stationed in FL, when he's in state, he's still required to have a PA LTCF to carry his handgun concealed. Since he doesn't qualify for a home-state LTCF due to age, he will not be allowed to carry in that manner. He's over 18, so OC is still an option, but transportation is not unless he manages one of the couple of transportation loopholes that exist for persons not authorized to transport arms in PA.

(ETA) This information actually came from a bill that wasn't passed, and is partially incorrect. Disregard it.
    Last edited by Christ; November 13th, 2012 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christ View Post
    NO. PA doesn't recognize out of state permits held by residents of this state, last I checked.
    Where did you "check?" Philadelphia has passed such an ordinance, but it will probably be struck down as preempted (at considerable expense in time and $$) when they first enforce it. And our Attorney General-elect claims that she will somehow close the "Florida loophole." But the legislature has refused to enact such a law on several occasions.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    Where did you "check?" Philadelphia has passed such an ordinance, but it will probably be struck down as preempted (at considerable expense in time and $$) when they first enforce it. And our Attorney General-elect claims that she will somehow close the "Florida loophole." But the legislature has refused to enact such a law on several occasions.
    I just looked around but could only find a reference to it in the national reciprocity bill. I think I got the two (bill versus current law) confused, and will edit that last post to reflect it.

It is worth noting that OP will likely face shit-storms if caught with an out of state permit from LEO thinking that PA doesn't allow NR permits in direct non-compliance with state law.
    Last edited by Christ; November 13th, 2012 at 08:56 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by stetzer1213 View Post
    I am in the active army.
    Thank you for your service.

I'm not an expert on Florida laws.

However, assuming that you have a legitimate, recognized out-of-state license to carry, are 18, and in Pennsylvania, and your firearm was transferred in compliance with Federal law and the laws of the state where the transfer took place, then you "should" be OK....except that you might not be.

Get familiar with what a Pennsylvania judge has done with a resident who had no PA LTCF but had a perfectly valid New Hampshire license:

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...n-hearing.html

You also need to be aware that you need a PA LTCF when in PA to be within a Federal gun-free school zone, an out-of-state license won't cover that.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by Christ View Post
    Right from the PA AG's page: "It has come to the attention of the Office of Attorney General that there has been confusion over the applicability of Pennsylvania's reciprocal privileges with regard to the residency status of an individual who has been issued a valid license/permit. It is the position of the Office of Attorney General that recognition within Pennsylvania is based on the issuance to an individual of a valid license/permit by the reciprocal contracting state, and not on the license/permit holder's place of residence."

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

Interpret as you desire...

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by AJChenMPH View Post
    Right from the PA AG's page: "It has come to the attention of the Office of Attorney General that there has been confusion over the applicability of Pennsylvania's reciprocal privileges with regard to the residency status of an individual who has been issued a valid license/permit. It is the position of the Office of Attorney General that recognition within Pennsylvania is based on the issuance to an individual of a valid license/permit by the reciprocal contracting state, and not on the license/permit holder's place of residence."

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

Interpret as you desire...
    Yeah, that's why I corrected it. I got two things confused. When I couldn't find the reference I thought I'd read, I went back and edited it.