Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default SR9C Night Sights

I picked up a Ruger SR9C with the intent on it becoming my daily carry gun. I have a Ruger SR9, and the only thing I don't like about it are the sights. In night/low-light situations they are hard to pick up.

Therefore, I began looking around for a set of night/low-light sights for my SR9C. I've narrowed the field down to 2 contenders.

The first is on Rugers website, and is made by Williams Gun Sight Company. They come in a budget friendly $63.00. They are fiber optic, which does require some ambient light. However they click adjustments for windage which makes getting it sighted in a little easier.

At this point this set is #1.

The next is a set made by Ameriglo. They come in about double the price at $115.00, don't have a click windage adjustment, so that means I may have to drift the rear sight a bit during sight-in. They are not fiber-optic, but have the trijicon vials (or whatever they are called). These would work even in total darkness.

These were recommended to me by the guy in the gun shop.

Sorry about the gigantic pic, I couldn't figure out a way to resize it.

My questions are mainly about the fiber-optic sight. I know they need some light to work, but how much is "some"? Generally speaking we are rarely in pitch black where there is no light. There are street lights, signs, parking lot lights and even the moon. Will these light sources provide enough light for the fiber-optics to pick up?

Any comments, suggestions or observations are welcome.
    Last edited by WVneighbor; December 24th, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Default Re: SR9C Night Sights

If your goal is for better pick up in the dusk/dark absolutely go with the night sights. The convenience of adjustability on the fiber optic sights is nice but they won't be visible in the dark. IMO get the Ameriglo's.

(Monroe County)

Night sights....FTW.

(Lehigh County)

I copied and pasted this post from another thread that I posted in.

http://www.xd-hs2000.com/xd-hs2000/Welcome.html

I sent my XDm slide to this guy to have Trijicon's installed. He charges $100 for Trijicon or Mepro and installs them free if you sent him your slide. XD's are notorious for being hard to remove but neither my slide or the sights have a mark on them. He turned them in 9 or 10 days. Well satisfied.

He does any gun not just XDm's.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Philadelphia County)

For my SR9c I recently purchased Meprolight Night Sights. I had a few problems with the first shop I had install them but eventually had them put on correctly. I couldnt be happier. The white rings are great for shooting during the day and the sights are incredible in low light settings and even in complete darkness. I found them for $90 and couldn't be happier.
    Last edited by ThatPhillyGuy; December 24th, 2011 at 11:32 PM.