Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Philadelphia Gun Range

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences they could share with me about some ranges in Philadelphia. I just moved here for a little and I'm trying to find a place to go shooting.

From my online research Philadelphia Archery & Gun Club seems to have the best reviews. Anyone have an experience here?

Any information would be great. Thanks.

Default Re: Philadelphia Gun Range

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy13 View Post
    From my online research Philadelphia Archery & Gun Club seems to have the best reviews. Anyone have an experience here?
    SPAG (South Philly Archery and Gun -- the folks you mentioned above) has a large following here on the forum, as does Classic Pistol in Southampton, PA (just outside the city). Depending on where in the city you are, Classic might be closer. Both are good ranges. I'll let the SPAG folks chime up about what makes it great, but I'm personally a fan of Classic (with no insult intended to SPAG). Classic has good prices on ammo, a clean facility, good staff, great parking, etc. By way of disclosure, I'm a member at Classic, so I obviously have my biases.

Welcome to the area!

(Montgomery County)

Philly is a big place...where in Philly? I think many of the Philly ranges make you buy their ammo even if you are using your own gun. This can get pricy. If you are in Northeast Philly, try pistol people or classic pistol.

(Delaware County)

NY guy, I suggest you visit the range and speak to the ownership. Such an endeavor will be the most helpful. South Philly Archery and Gun has a fine reputation and the facilites are very clean with good air circulation within the range itself. I paid them a visit myself and found the staff to be very helpful and knowledgable. Living in Delaware County, their location was not to my advantage and as such I did not join.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the welcome, i appreciate all the advice. My bad for not being more specific, I'm in West philly near university city so the Philadelphia Archery & Gun Club might be my closest option because i can take a bus down there right near where i live.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy13 View Post
    Thanks for the welcome, i appreciate all the advice. My bad for not being more specific, I'm in West philly near university city so the Philadelphia Archery & Gun Club might be my closest option because i can take a bus down there right near where i live.
    SPAG is a good city range. Depending how much you shoot, you might opt for the VIP membership (more costly, but it's often reduced on "event" days), which lets you BYO ammo. Then again, if you're taking mass transit, maybe you don't want to carry a lot of ammo.

www.philadelphiaarcheryandgunclub.com

Going in the other direction, there's Double Action in Yeadon.

My work's Net Nanny is blocking access, but I think the URL is:

www.doubleaction.org

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    SPAG (South Philly Archery and Gun -- the folks you mentioned above) has a large following here on the forum, as does Classic Pistol in Southampton, PA (just outside the city). Depending on where in the city you are, Classic might be closer. Both are good ranges. I'll let the SPAG folks chime up about what makes it great, but I'm personally a fan of Classic (with no insult intended to SPAG). Classic has good prices on ammo, a clean facility, good staff, great parking, etc. By way of disclosure, I'm a member at Classic, so I obviously have my biases.

Welcome to the area!

I visited SPAG, and liked the personnel and facilities; however, parking on the street in South Philadelphia near the Italian Market was an issue with me. Parking is a problem in that area, period. I do believe SPAG does have a parking lot, but it is small. I want to go to a range where I feel safe, overall. mythaeus is a VIP member at SPAG. Contact him if you want to visit SPAG.

I have heard good things about Classic Pistol as well, but the distance, for me, is a concern.

Are there any close outdoor ranges in Philadelphia? My friends want to visit me and go to an outdoor range.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaA View Post
    Are there any close outdoor ranges in Philadelphia? My friends want to visit me and go to an outdoor range.
    I think there's only one in city limits, Holmesburg:

http://holmesburgfishandgame.com/

After that, it depends where in Philly you are.

Delaware County Field and Stream, if you tend towards the South or West:

http://www.dcfs.org/

...but both have Draconian policies (all carry is banned; Holmesburg only allows 1 round in the gun at once, IIRC).

If you're willing to drive to Bucks County, there are more options.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    SPAG is a good city range. Depending how much you shoot, you might opt for the VIP membership (more costly, but it's often reduced on "event" days), which lets you BYO ammo. Then again, if you're taking mass transit, maybe you don't want to carry a lot of ammo.

www.philadelphiaarcheryandgunclub.com

Going in the other direction, there's Double Action in Yeadon.

My work's Net Nanny is blocking access, but I think the URL is:

www.doubleaction.org

Hey, dgg9, did Double Action recently open? This is not too far from me. I know exactly where Industrial Park Drive is.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaA View Post
    did Double Action recently open?
    Not especially recent. It's been around at least 7 or 8 years (I know I took a class or two there in either 2003 or 2004).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast