Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default First day carrying.

Hello everyone. As per my last post, I got my LTCF today, and went straight to the store to purchase an IWB holster for my Sig p232. I got a Galco Tuck and Go that was specifically made for this piece.
    I tried different places on the waistline to carry, and I have to say that 3 o'clock IWB with a polo shirt over is the best way for me to carry the Sig P232. I tried appendix carry, both right and left side. It was very good for standing and walking, but when I sat down, the muzzle dug into my inner thigh/groin. Not comfortable, and certainly a little unnerving.
    I tried 5 o'clock carry, but it seems to print pretty noticably when I bend over just a little bit. The butt of the handle can be seen sticking through from under the shirt.
    3 o'clock, right at the strong side hip: doesn't print, can bend over, and can sit down, without anything digging into my body or sticking its way out from underneath. The only discomfort I feel is the rear of the slide digging into my oblique when I sit and lean to the right just a tad. Maybe this is incentive to drop some fat!
    I did a few practice draws (with the gun unloaded, of course!), and it's pretty darned quick and intuitive.
    I'm carrying condition 3 right now. I know this is a controversial issue (what condition to carry your gun in), but for me, I feel most comfortable with condition 3. I've practiced the sweep of the shirt, the draw, and chamber the round (with an empty gun). As the gun comes foward after it's cleared the holster and pointed forward, my left hand grabs the slide as the gun is brought up and foward.
    In any case, I'm glad that I now have the option to go armed as a last resort means to defending my life and the lives of those I love.
    Any tips or advice on carrying in the method that I've chosen? (IWB, hip, condition 3). Thanks in advance.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: First day carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Any tips or advice on carrying in the method that I've chosen? (IWB, hip, condition 3).
    If it works for you, you won't get any argument for me. Keep at the practice until it is second nature.

I carry mine OWB at 3 o'clock as it is most comfortable to me.
    MikeP

Congratulations, sir, and many more uneventful and safe carry days in the future!

Justin
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Butler County)

Get a crossbreed super tuck, a real gun belt if you don't have one, and make sure your pants fit right with your holster and gun. I went up an inch in my waist to accommodate my weapon and holster. If you have a thick gun you might need two inches.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Montgomery County)

Congratulations on exercising your Rights!

(Cumberland County)

You'll get over the whole empty chamber thing. Try revolvers!

Oh, and in case you have some spare time;

Last edited by rwb1500; July 7th, 2011 at 12:38 PM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Congrats!

I have a Glock 36 in a crossbreed super tuck. Very comfortable in any position.

(Allegheny County)

Curious to why carrying condition 3. Is it not a SA/DA handgun with a de-cocking lever?
    Understand I'm not being a wise-ass, just very tired so my normal eloquence is fairly tempered.
    That Sig is made so that the round in the chamber has no chance of accidently going off when the de-cock is used. So your first shot will be double action then the remaining shots will be single. It certainly beats having to draw and chamber in a stand-off situation and in some respects may prove to be more legal in the sense that drawing and chambering could be construed as brandishing if you are ever in that iffy situation where you may need to slide the firearm out when the "hinkey itch" runs up your back.

(Not well said, but hopefully you get the cut of my jib)
    It takes 40 muscles to frown, but only 4 to pull the trigger on a decent sniper rifle.

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging and kind comments.

rwb1500: Thanks for the map and instructions; it's hilarious. I'll be sure to make use of it.

FD737: I appreciate your thoughts on carry condition. You're right, the Sig has a DA/SA trigger, with a de-cocking lever. This makes carrying with a round in the chamber and the hammer down very safe to do. However, for now, I choose to carry condition three for a couple reasons. 1) My gf, who I live with, while not anti-gun, expresses some discomfort about me carrying regularly. A relative of her's was maimed many years ago during a hunting accident (shot in the face), and I suspect this may have contributed to her discomfort with being around a loaded firearm all the time. I have explained to her how my Sig P232 works, the hammer block, and the manuel of arms. Carrying condition three, for now, has made her a little more comfortable with me carrying regularly. 2) For my own piece of mind, as a newly minted LTCF, having that chamber empty allows me to 'ease' into carrying a loaded firearm.

All that said, I suspect that I may eventually transition to a loaded chamber. I understand many of the downsides of the condition three carry. For instance, when I'm walking my dog, I have one hand on the leash. This makes the draw and slide-rack a more complicated process. Sometimes I walk the dog with a flashlight at night. Now I have two things in my hands.
    I recognize these downsides, but for now, I accept them. Everything has pros and cons. Case in point, I chose to carry a Sig P232, with its modest 380 acp cartrige. That's a downside. But the advantage is the slim, light-weight design of the pistol, along with it's modest recoil and aluminum frame (which I like). For now, the trade-offs of carrying condition three are worth the benefits (for me and my gf).
    In my opinion, merely having a gun in the first place is my priority number one. Whether it's cocked and locked (1911), safety on with hammer down, or condition 3, or whatever, is somewhat secondary and subject to training.
    I hope this makes some sense to some. Right now, it works well for me. As I learn and grow, things are inevitably subject to change.
    All the best,
    M

(Allegheny County)

Right on to that. I hope I didnt come off shitty. I was super tired and couldnt really express myself well.
    I am really happy for you and your new LTCF. Love the choice of the Sig.
    I carry a P229 in .40 and absolutely love it. Though at times I wish it were SLIGHTLY smaller.
    It takes 40 muscles to frown, but only 4 to pull the trigger on a decent sniper rifle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast