Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Seattle police leave rifle unattended on cruiser

This handout photo provided by Nick Gonzalez for editorial purposes only, shows a police rifle left unattended on a patrol car outside a busy downtown area on Tuesday, June 28, 2011, in Seattle.

Seattle police 'embarrassed' by rifle left unattended on cruiser

By Christine Clarridge
    Seattle Times staff reporter

Everybody's done it.

You place an item on top of a car only to remember later — after you or someone else has driven off.

But when the forgetful individual is a Seattle police officer and the item is a semi-automatic rifle, it's more than a little embarrassing. It's also the focus of an internal investigation.

Seattle police spokesman Sgt. Sean Whitcomb conceded Tuesday it was "very embarrassing" that a semi-automatic rifle was left on the trunk lid of a police cruiser in downtown Seattle on Monday.

"The fact of the matter is that a police rifle was left on a car in public, and that is unacceptable," Whitcomb said. "It's very embarrassing, and it shouldn't have happened."

According to two sources with knowledge of the incident, it began when one officer was inside the secure parking garage at the West Precinct and unloaded his equipment from a police cruiser. The officer placed the rifle on the trunk of a nearby patrol car.

That officer, identified by sources as acting Sgt. Bill Collins, forgot about the rifle and walked off.

Another officer, identified as Lt. Deanna Nollette, then went into the garage and drove away in the patrol vehicle without realizing the rifle was on the trunk lid, the sources said.

The patrol car was parked a few blocks away from the West Precinct in front of the Roosevelt Hotel on Seventh Avenue around 9 p.m. Monday when at least two people spotted the rifle on the unattended vehicle.

A man who identified himself as Nick Gonzales confirmed he snapped a photo of the unsecured weapon.

Police said he then flagged down a couple of nearby bicycle officers.

A second witness noticed the rifle around the same time, and tracked down and alerted the officer, Whitcomb said.

He would "not confirm or deny" the sources' account, but said an investigation has been launched into the "circumstances that would allow for this patrol rifle to be left on this car."

He also couldn't say whether the rifle, reportedly an AR-15, was loaded.

Whitcomb would not speculate as to whether either officer would face discipline, but the Police Department's policy manual requires officers to inspect patrol vehicles before use.

He said it is a violation of the department policies to leave a weapon unattended, but not a criminal violation.

Whitcomb said such rifles are assigned only to officers who have additional training.

The high-powered weapons usually are kept in the trunk or between the driver and passenger seats.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; June 29th, 2011 at 05:05 AM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Seattle police leave rifle unattended on cruiser

Finders keepers?
    Junior

(Bradford County)

interesting, i was under the impression that all PD's have burst or Auto fire M4's, not Semi-Auto?

ETA: I am more curious as to what the Officer was doing to need the mentioned rifle out of the squad car?
    Last edited by Shadow Heart; June 29th, 2011 at 09:59 AM.

(Bucks County)

He also couldn't say whether the rifle, reportedly an AR-15, was loaded.
    Unless they habitually insert empty magazines in their duty rifles, I'd say that's loaded.

(Lancaster County)

I think you guys are overlooking the good aspect of this: Look how safe the city of Seattle is. The police can just leave a rifle laying around and no one stole it. They're really on the ball out there.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I think you guys are overlooking the good aspect of this: Look how safe the city of Seattle is. The police can just leave a rifle laying around and no one stole it. They're really on the ball out there.
    Good point. But then again, maybe the bad guys just noticed that it wasn't select fire, and wasn't worth stealing.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Heart View Post
    i was under the impression that all PD's have burst or Auto fire M4's, not Semi-Auto?
    Most police departments that issue "patrol rifles" just use regular semi-auto AR-15 pattern rifles, same as you or I can have. After the Poplawski shooting Pittsburgh police were equipped with S&W M&P-15s.

There are provisions in federal law which allow law enforcement to acquire full-auto weapons, and some departments do take advantage of that. It's probably more common amongst SWAT-type units, rather than the common patrol rifles that a beat cop might keep in the trunk.

As far as I'm concerned there's no reason for civilian police to have anything that the rest of us can't own.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post
    Most police departments that issue "patrol rifles" just use regular semi-auto AR-15 pattern rifles, same as you or I can have. After the Poplawski shooting Pittsburgh police were equipped with S&W M&P-15s.

There are provisions in federal law which allow law enforcement to acquire full-auto weapons, and some departments do take advantage of that. It's probably more common amongst SWAT-type units, rather than the common patrol rifles that a beat cop might keep in the trunk.

As far as I'm concerned there's no reason for civilian police to have anything that the rest of us can't own.
    thanks for clearing that up. and i am sure funding may be another part of it as well?

ETA and i strongly agree that if we are not allowed to have/use something, then neither should they.

(Mercer County)

interesting, i was under the impression that all PD's have burst or Auto fire M4's, not Semi-Auto?

ETA: I am more curious as to what the Officer was doing to need the mentioned rifle out of the squad car?
    Swat usually have burst or full auto because it requires alot of specialized training that would be very costly to train every officer. All of our PDs around here use semi ARs including our c.e.r.t. team.

(Mercer County)

thanks for clearing that up. and i am sure funding may be another part of it as well?
    Actually a Full auto AR would only cost about $800 beacuse they can buy Dealer post samples directly from a manufactuer or class 3 dealer. Granted its about $200 or so more than they pay for a semi but they really aren't that expensive. It could also be more politics than anything. Full autos have that "evil" cloud over thier heads in some peoples eyes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast